Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone in the US have the ability of machine the M2 horn flange for a lower cost

Does anyone in the US have the ability of machine the M2 horn flange for a lower cost

I have looked through the M2 build thread. It would be nice if we could potentially arrange a group order for some flanges to serve the purpose of the flange 5026224 that is currently $120. The addition of holes to mount the 2451, with the larger bolt pattern, would also allow more people to try out the M2 horns. Forgive me if someone has already offered such a device. I know you have to pay to play, but it seems like a part that should be included in the price of the horn. If it was $60 I would have no problem buying them, but $120 is hard for me to spend, it I don't need to.

My brother is a machinist, and he has fabricated aluminum bike parts for me in the past. However, he would not be allowed to produce hobby projects at his current job. I would be interested in 3 flanges.

Quote Originally Posted by TimG24 View Post
    I have looked through the M2 build thread. It would be nice if we could potentially arrange a group order for some flanges to serve the purpose of the flange 5026224 that is currently $120. The addition of holes to mount the 2451, with the larger bolt pattern, would also allow more people to try out the M2 horns. Forgive me if someone has already offered such a device. I know you have to pay to play, but it seems like a part that should be included in the price of the horn. If it was $60 I would have no problem buying them, but $120 is hard for me to spend, it I don't need to.

My brother is a machinist, and he has fabricated aluminum bike parts for me in the past. However, he would not be allowed to produce hobby projects at his current job. I would be interested in 3 flanges.
    Just out of curiosity I looked it up on Speaker Exchange's website. Are you saying it's a machined piece of aluminum? The picture kind of looks like a stamping. If it is a stamping, it's an outrageous price!

I cannot tell from the picture if it is a casting, a stamping, or a machined piece of rare aircraft aluminum, but if there is anyplace to save money on building an M2 clone, I think this is it.

There was a person on AVSforum earlier this week inquiring about people's needs for CNC of metal parts. Could be a viable approach.

It is machined.

Member sebackman published the plans for an universal adapter, fitting both 2451/2447 and 2450SL/476/435/243x bolt patterns.
    It is somwhere in the M2 thread.

I have both versions here (the JBL one is not mine) and both are a perfect fit.

I will take a look at one of mine tonight. We have 55 HP live tool lathes that would make quick work out of them if I could part them from bar but that is diameter dependent. I don't know off hand the diameter of these. Otherwise from plate in the mill would be easy.

We have made throats so what the hell.

Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Here is Robert's plan: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post375178
    I can take precise pictures of both this and JBL's adapters if required.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Just out of curiosity I looked it up on Speaker Exchange's website. Are you saying it's a machined piece of aluminum? The picture kind of looks like a stamping. If it is a stamping, it's an outrageous price!
    It's a gouge if it's machined

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    It's a gouge if it's machined
    You're right. Just not as deep though.

Where do 3D printers fit in with all of this?
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Where do 3D printers fit in with all of this?
    I also thought of that too.

I tried to have buddy use his shop to machine a pair, after I told him they were only 120 a piece he suggested I just buy them. I did and really glad I did because If I need to get out of them they have OEM flanges. Just a thought.

Thanks,
    Scott

You're right. Just not as deep though.

Dear all

I'm going to machine a few sets for friends here in Europe in a few weeks. It would be feasable to make 10-20 sets for the US if of interest. POS can comment on quality.

They are aircraft quality aluminium and can house both the small and large JBL bolt circle.

Kind regards
    //RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    POS can comment on quality.

So looking closely at my JBL plates, they look to be from extruded plate, with all holes milled, the ovals hand deburred on both sides and all the OD features and one face lathe turned.

I can't bar feed 6 inch so would likely make them from plate as well but likely keep it an all mill project.

I'll do a cost analisys if there is interest but I already have my plates so it wouldn't be a G job. I know for sure that I can beat the retail cost by twice, easy.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information