Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 4346 DYI with 2123H

JBL 4346 DYI with 2123H

Dear All,

I am new in this forum and first off all I would like to thank you all for your passion in JBL vintage speakers. I believe they are outstanding. I am currently building a 4346 JBL with the following speakers:
    LF 2235H (reconed on a E140 basket with a mass ring of 51 grams)
    MF 2123H
    HF 2425J with 2307 horn dyi
    UHF 2405

Considering the above, I have the following pleas to you guys:
    1. How can I integrate the 2123H speaker in this build? I want to use the CC crossover scheme provided by Mr. Giskard here http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post319098
    I will not bi-amp!
    2. Does anyone have all the specs of the 2307 horn. I want to machine a pair. I mean every dimension... including the arches. Sadly I don't have an original so I can make a mold after the horn.

Thank you so much for your input.

Best crossover for 4343

Hi guys,

I'm back again although no reply to my post so far...

Nonetheless, can you tell me what would be the best choice for a crossover for my DYI project? I want the best of the best.
    A charge Coupled version or a plain high end cap version?
    An also could you indicate the best schematics for such recommended crossover?

Thank you very much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by lordoflight View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm back again although no reply to my post so far...

Nonetheless, can you tell me what would be the best choice for a crossover for my DYI project? I want the best of the best.
    A charge Coupled version or a plain high end cap version?
    An also could you indicate the best schematics for such recommended crossover?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Any plans.

1. How can I integrate the 2123H speaker in this build? I want to use the CC crossover scheme provided by Mr. Giskard here http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post319098
    That's not easy. 2122H and 2123H aren't that much alike. The former is much more a bass than the latter. 2123H is a lot louder and a true midrange.
    To my knowledge, something like this has been done on a 4345. perhaps someone around here knows about that.
    Regards: Holger

I have 4343 with 2235H, then 2123H coupled to 2450J (2-inch) - charge coupled 3155 network works perfectly.
    Consider bi-amping to lose the "wooly-ness" of the foam edged "15, highly recommended.

I have had good success using the 4344MkII crossover network (charge coupled) with a 2123 as a substitute/replacement for the 2122 and its associated network.

I highly recommend you bi-amp @290-340 HZ fourth order, the difference is significant.

Note the above is based own listening only, I have not performed any measurements.

Hybrid crossover 4344MKII for LF & MF and Giskard 3155 no CC

Hi guys,

After much tinkering I decided to use the LF and HF sections of the 4344MKII network and the HF and UHF sections taken from Mr. Giskard 3155 but I decided to take out the battery. This means no CC crossover and no bi-amp. I used instead Mundorf Evo Oil capacitors bypassed with Vishay 0.01 microF and high quality mundorf coils and resistors. I will upload a picture of it soon.

picture hybrid crossover using 2123h

here is the picture of the crossover
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4346 DYI with external Hybrid crossovers for 2123

Behold my babies! The l-pads are big Visatons. The crossovers are encased in big amplifier boxes. You can check my previous post for the components in the crossover. I used Jentzen JAD cables 2.5 mm OFC. The binding posts were ordered from china. They say its copper but in fact is brass. The cables were soldered with Jentzen silver solder. the drivers are:

LF - JBL 2235 - Actually a 2235 cone on a E 140 chassis

MF - JBL 2123

HF - JBL 2425 J with 2307 horn

UHF - Beyma 21CP/F

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SWEET!!

Are you happy with them?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Smile feedback

I'm now tinkering a bit with some real time analyzers. It seems that I have a dropoff in the 10kHz range of about 2 db which is a lot. The rest seems pretty linear apart from the bass which is 1 db higher than the rest. I will make more tests with different polarities to see if there is a phase problem or not. Overall they sound OK yet a little damped. I don't know why. I will try to change the amp cables to place some silvers instead my current coppers. But the music is soothing and calm. It does not hurt my ears. Still I would like a bit more details. I will try in the weekend with some DACS to work on my source. The amp is a very capable Accuphase e360 which I like alot. So if anyone has any suggestions for improving sound please go ahead an shoot.

Full on lpads

I have one question. To my ears the speakers sound best with all the LPADS FULL OPEN. Is there a mistake anywhere? It should not be normal. Otherwise the speakers sound a little dull and recessed.
    Can anyone give me a qualified explanation?
    Thank you

The 2425J is 16 ohm so may have reduced output compared with the 3155 network, IIRC. I don't know the Beyma tweeter but it too may have lower efficiency with the 3155 network.. BTW, you should get the 2308 slant acoustic lenses over the horns for better dispersion and less beaming.

if there are any resistors is series with the HF and UHF drivers, you may need to reduce them for more output.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Hi guys,

After much tinkering I decided to use the LF and HF sections of the 4344MKII network and the HF and UHF sections taken from Mr. Giskard 3155 but I decided to take out the battery. This means no CC crossover and no bi-amp. I used instead Mundorf Evo Oil capacitors bypassed with Vishay 0.01 microF and high quality mundorf coils and resistors. I will upload a picture of it soon.
    I assume you meant LF and mid sections of The 4344k11 network.

Because you have used 2 different network this likely hood of the voltage drives being balanced is remote.

Why did you not use the complete 4344mk11 network?

I recommend buying the 2308 off eBay and installing then reassess before ou o anything.

The lense alters he response of the HF horn. It would honk off axis without the Lense.

I was instructed to use this hybrid solution by a member of this forum. Thank you for the suggestion of getting the lens 2308. I will. However it seems to be a phasing problem. I never got the time and space ) to play with them since I have a 2 month old miracle sleeping . I'll keep you posted on the developments...

Thread Information