Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: JBL 4346 DYI with 2123H

closing in on Valhalla

I want to extend the feeling of gratitude to the members of this forum, and especially to Mr. Ian McKenzie who is a real professional and a great man. He instructed me remotely to succeed in getting an incredible sound out of my DYI 4346. Now looking back it was a long road to achieve the sound that I am enjoying right now.

There is still room for improvement but the speakers already sound divine.

I heard some so called hi end speakers at vendors and from where I stand I believe the vendors are ripping people off. My DYI speakers sound better than 90 % of what is in the vendor showroom where many of the speakers cost more than 10000 EUR.

Again Thank you guys and thank you Ian.

I will come back with a new and improved graph since although you cannot hear them at least you can see the sound .

Good to hear things worked out with the 2123H. It's a great driver.

Beryllium diaphragm for JBL 2425

Is anyone aware of beryllium diaphragm for JBL 2425 1" I looked for it at Truextent and apparently the only make such diaphragms for bigger diameters speakers.

I understand that replacing the stock Aluminium diaphragm with a beryllium one will make a very significant difference.

Awaiting opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by lordoflight View Post
    Is anyone aware of beryllium diaphragm for JBL 2425 1" I looked for it at Truextent and apparently the only make such diaphragms for bigger diameters speakers.

I understand that replacing the stock Aluminium diaphragm with a beryllium one will make a very significant difference.

Awaiting opinions.
    I changed mine out to TAD TD2002 Be years ago in my 4345's and never looked back. Not an inexpensive option, but well worth it.

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/search...=search&page=2

List price $1750 each

Looking at truexent diaphragm $650 each and second hand compression driver like 2450 $1000-1500 each and the risks (second hand drivers? redesign of the network, acquiring a 2311 horn) the Tad is a drop in replacement.

Radiian make a 1 inch driver Radian 475BePB that had use a Radian Be diaphragm $549 each . The bolt circle need to be checked and network may need re design.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I changed mine out to TAD TD2002 Be years ago in my 4345's and never looked back.
    Dood. Oh, dood...(two, for the stereo pair).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Dood. Oh, dood...(two, for the stereo pair).
    Yup, they continue to amaze me, Bo!

Quote Originally Posted by lordoflight View Post
    I want to extend the feeling of gratitude to the members of this forum, and especially to Mr. Ian McKenzie who is a real professional and a great man. He instructed me remotely to succeed in getting an incredible sound out of my DYI 4346. Now looking back it was a long road to achieve the sound that I am enjoying right now.

There is still room for improvement but the speakers already sound divine.

I heard some so called hi end speakers at vendors and from where I stand I believe the vendors are ripping people off. My DYI speakers sound better than 90 % of what is in the vendor showroom where many of the speakers cost more than 10000 EUR.

Again Thank you guys and thank you Ian.

I will come back with a new and improved graph since although you cannot hear them at least you can see the sound .

I agree.... I have gone with discrete amplification and am using the dbx venu 360 crossover and auto eq feature.... i will never go back to passive again. the dynamics, clarity and no more issues with crossover losses in power, phase, timing etc... the eq feature works awesome. check out my jbl 4345 comments in the diy section . I used the jbl 2123H driver also and it was so easy to integrate with the electronic crossover. Here are some videos ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djgjl8QTMyU

JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

Hybrid crossovers a big no no

Hello boys and girls,

This post is a heads-up and is written as a result of six months of extended testings and listening sessions, soldering and changing cables and modifying boxes and frustrations.
    The story starts around March 2016 when I wanted to use a JBL 2123 in a 4343 configuration namely 2235 for bass, 2425J for HF and 2405 for UHF. Given this combination I was told to use a combination of filters. namely the 2123 section from 4344mkII and HF and UHF from Giskard schematics. I did just that. The result was a dull and veiled sound. Of course I refused to think that the crossovers are causing this and I started to investigate other potential causes. Cables, Lpads, Star grounding, boxes posts, type of wires, caps, resistors... and the list may go on and on. All this time my guide and guru was Mr. Ian McKenzie AKA the Doctor who tutored me and to whom I want to thank again for his patience and dedication resisted heroically to my avalanche of frustrations and tried to help little ol' me.

At some point he said he had enough of this and took the road of recreating my hybrid filters and compared them with a pair of pure and simple 4344MKII. The result was.... THERE IS NO COMPARISON. The sound of the hybrid is light years away from the sound of a HIFI system.

SO IF YOU THINK YOU WANT A HYBRID CROSSOVER, THINK AGAIN. OR OTHERWISE PUT DON'T DO IT. IT WILL ONLY FRUSTRATE YOU.

you may find here the result of his research http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post399476

Your brother in DiY,

Bogdan

Congratulations are in order.

Don't thank me.

Thank my wife for believing in what we were doing and the whole palaver as she quite rightly puts it.

Music bliss

Now I can say that I have managed to solve all my problems and listen to some music on my DYI 4346. All the thanks go again to Mr Ian MacKenzie who lend me his First Watt B$ until my handcrafted crossover is ready.
    I just wanted to shar with you guys my experience and the results in a short post. My rig is as follows:
    Source: Audirvana on MacMini
    Digital USB to coax adapter Gustard
    DAC: Theta DS Pro Basic 2 (a bit old but Excellent sound)
    Preamp: Accuphase e360 preamp section (I use the Integrated Accuphase as separates)
    Crossover: Currently Ian's First Watt B4
    HF amp: Accuphase e360 Power section
    LF Amp: QSC GX5 2x500W (Monster)
    Crossovers : Handmade not charge coupled but boutique capacitors.
    Speakers:
    UHF:JBL 2405 original Dias (replaced by me)
    HF JBL 2425J Original Ti dias (maintained by me)
    MF: JBL 2123 Original No intervention
    LF: JBL 2235 ( E140 chassis reconed with an aftermarket 2235 cone with added weight in order to reach proper response considering the stronger magnet)
    Cables: Twisted coppers solid cores soldered on 8 poles Speakons.

Sound.... Incredible!!!

It is full and the bass is amazing. Thunderous I might say. Crisp imaging. And warmth.

Nice!

Thread Information