Thread: Amplifier Power: How Much is Enough?

Amplifier Power: How Much is Enough?

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...ow-much-enough

By J. Gordon Holt • Posted: Jan 21, 2016 • Published: Nov 1, 1962
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I took interest in the comment about the HiFi buyer whose interest is only background level playback.

My recollection from the sixties and seventies (growing up years) is that many households who had systems- or more likely consoles of some sort- played the system at "background" levels as the norm. TV programing was limited and really geared toward the lowest common entertainment threshold (I know, still works that way but there are many more options today) so stereos were the alternative to dead quiet in the home. But I never experienced an adult having the sound level at anything that could interfere with conversation. Now it seems the TV performs that role.
    David F
    San Jose

I concur. Back when I used to frequently read Stereophile - 1970s? - the best rig I saw there belonged to a man who, when asked what he liked to listen to, replied "Mantovani".
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I concur. Back when I used to frequently read Stereophile - 1970s? - the best rig I saw there belonged to a man who, when asked what he liked to listen to, replied "Mantovani".
    Ha!! His record company could easily recommend- if such FDC labeling requirements existed- 0.1 watts per channel under Holt's formula. Wonder what the record label for Blue Cheer, Black Sabbath, AC/DC or that ilk would require?
    David F
    San Jose

I have a Carver CM-1090 driving the L-166's and it does the job.

Have always found the more power you have you realise the more you need.

Back in the day l owned a Clair Bros Phase Linear 700B.

In home duties it was instantly obvious it was more dynamic than any other amp at the time.

Used in a front of house 2 way JBL J bin with 2226 and a 2445 drivers you knew what 700 watts really sounded like.

Sensitivity matter. Power that turns into heat equals compression.

I doubt the article had big 4 way jbl monitors in mind but as l recall jbl recommended 2-3 times the rms power of the woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Back in the day l owned a Clair Bros Phase Linear 700B.
    In home duties it was instantly obvious it was more dynamic than any other amp at the time.
    Used in a front of house 2 way JBL J bin with 2226 and a 2445 drivers you knew what 700 watts really sounded like.
    I recently read a book my daughter sent me for my birthday, Look Me In The Eye by John Elder Robison about his life growing up with Asperber's including his stint as a sound tech with both Kiss and Pink Floyd.

At one point they turn him loose on their amp collection and he mentions they used Crown and Phase Linear 700s but about 30 of the P-Ls were just sitting there dead with various problem (no mention of any Crown failures or need for modifications!). It's a very interesting book that gets into his various pyrotechnic modifications of Les Pauls, etc, and his eventual satisfaction and career in the repair of high-end automobiles. I'd recommend the read but looking at his blog turns up some other interesting discussion on these old amps:

http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2008/0...irca-1979.html

For me, nearly all my life I've noticed the sound quality improvement of even the most sensitive speaker systems (JBL 030) with increases in power from amps of similar topology from the same manufacturer. I've owned, tried, and used Crown D-series amps from the D45 to the DC300A-II and now use the PS200 and PS400 in my main system. Even the D45s are very sweet used in bedroom systems on smaller JBLs and they'll eventually work their way into an 030-three-way project (added LE175DLH with active crossovers) as the amps for the 075s—just for the hell of it. When my local JBL and McIntosh dealer first introduced me to Crown, they let me take home a D60, D150, and DC300 to try. The additional power was noticeable in how the speakers reacted, especially at higher SPL, and I ended up purchasing as much power as I could afford—the D150 which is still in use today with a Mac C20, now paired together for over 40-years.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

HEY! NO POLITICS!!

I find myself in this camp as well with the 1400 Arrays powed by a 585 Adcom serial number 0666 ("no religion too!")

Crown M600's powering the 4365's, but the baby in the amp family powering the 4435's, the I-Tech 5000HD and they never sounded better! Should I buy an I-Tech 12000HD for them?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Why not.

In terms of loudness and snap nothing beats bi amping.

I agree the F/linears were never ideal as a road amp.

The heavy iron transformer would warp the chassis and boards would shake loose.

Has anyone messed with GTs idea of a small amp directly on the 2405. As much as l love the oomph of a big amp they can be a cheeze grater on the 2405 that at best is swishy.

Has anyone messed with GTs idea of a small amp directly on the 2405. As much as l love the oomph of a big amp they can be a cheeze grater on the 2405 that at best is swishy.
    Of course, a D45 direct drives the 2405's in my 4350's.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I purchased three Crown D45s for future use in just such a fashion. Right now they're playing in various bedroom systems to keep them ready to go. Powering LX22 and L20T right now. One is slated to drive the 075s in the tri-amp conversion (D150A-II, D75A) of my Dad's original 030 into C35 cabinets with added LE175DLH and Crown VFX2-A crossovers. Just for fun. I know they'd need a real woofer to be stunning.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Too much power is just right!

That was a line delivered by a local car stereo shop. I am in the process of getting a pair of JBL 4365 speakers and am wondering if my Marantz amps are a good match for them(MA9-S2). They work very well with the 1400's I have but I have been thinking about McIntosh. MC452 or MC601's. I know the sound since I had MC402 with JBL S/2600 speakers and they rocked the house. 4365 rated to 300 wpc but I always want more than enough headroom to allow the speakers to thrive on clean power without straining the amp.

I DO have a local Marantz/McIntosh dealer that I have never used but may this spring.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Thread Information