Looking to build a set of studio mid-field monitors and have fallen in love with the 4300/4400 series by JBL. (Also I love the Everest/Olympus/K2/paragons as well) Complexity of the horns and systems in the non-4300/4400 series put me in the wheelhouse of the 43/44s, to say that those speakers seem more doable. The 4400s I think are going to be difficult because of the bi-radial horn but I could possibly buy the horns... I am not new to DIY but new to studio monitors and specifically JBL. Kendrick Sound has peaked my interest for years and I finally have the tools and knowledge I believe to embark on a project like this.

So in my research the two things that are going to be a challenge are obtaining drivers and developing or sourcing a crossover. I was hoping someone would have a matrix that compared JBL pro drivers to Eminence/TAD/BMS drivers as substitutes but I haven't seen that yet Does that exist? I would love to use JBL Pro drivers but not sure A) If they would be discontinued and if there is then a matrix for Old JBL Pro to New? and B) Where to buy them, USSPEAKER and some others have a very limited line for JBL Pro, I am guessing I could go direct but maybe you guys know of better options.

I am having the same issue with TAD drivers, I have heard them in the Rey Audio monitors and they are beautiful, lush even but I am having a hard time finding a TAD Pro rep...everyone stateside seems to be consumer line only. And did JBL use TAD drivers in their setups at all? Or did I misread that someplace?

It looks like there is a decent documentation of enclosure and port design but thats the easy part, at least to me. Crossovers...well thats the hard part that I haven't seen a lot of threads or documentation on. Do I just need to keep looking or is there a place where most of them are and I am just not seeing it? Also would it be better to go active/electronic? I feel like I would lose a lot of the tone or magic that these speakers had by doing that but whatever I will do what I have to.

Lastly, I was also looking at the near-field monitors like the 4310,11,12 and the 4430s for my parents. Is there documentation on them and is driver selection a little easier? And where would I find it? I see a lot of threads on the L100/4310s but I haven't been able to get the level of detail I need at the moment.