Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec A7/VOT Bass Enhancer?

Altec A7/VOT Bass Enhancer?

I can not find any reference to this. Maybe it is because I can't remember what exactly it is called. There is a green metal box that goes between the amp and the Voice Of The Theater speakers. I'm told it is internally potted.

This should be the place to find out what is inside this box. Surely someone here has removed the potting on this thing.

Thanks, I'm trying to help out a friend with two pair of these.

"Black boxes" are fun aren't they? They are actually easy to "see" into with measurment equipment.

Guessing that if it is a "bass booster" filter it would have two wires in and two out. If it is a network / crossover it would have two in four out.

Post a picture so we can see what you have.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Grainger49 View Post
    I can not find any reference to this. Maybe it is because I can't remember what exactly it is called. There is a green metal box that goes between the amp and the Voice Of The Theater speakers. I'm told it is internally potted.

This should be the place to find out what is inside this box. Surely someone here has removed the potting on this thing.

Could this be simply be the crossover filter like on the rear left corner of this A7 (from Fame Studio, Muscle Shoals)?

I think we've discussed these before, but I'm not finding it today. Maybe this catalog page will help.

Edit: More information Here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok, you guys have it. It is the bass energizer. The crossovers have been rebuilt with film caps and Alpha Core/Goetz air core inductors. But the sound is still muddy and sometimes edgy. I'm looking to find out what is inside and don't have a ZY bridge, that is what Barry is posting about. A friend might, I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Grainger49 View Post

ALTEC Bass Energizer Module 100A

AudioMag-Altec-Energizer.pdf
    Name:  BassEnergizer.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  174.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Ah, ah, ah. "Extreme low bass" must be a euphemism when discussing Altec A7 speakers ;-)

These devises don't increase the bass, but actually reduce everything above that. The user then turns up the volume to compensate for this loss and that increases the bass. I'm betting if you open one up, it is nothing more than a choke in parallel with a resistor.

The Altec Bass Energizer Modules I bought arrived today. Now, I am in the midst of heavily modifying a pair of Heath AS-101s, basically early Valencias.
    I have started rebuildng the crossovers with a mix of polycarbonate caps and a huge russian surplus teflon cap, but I'm not done yet so they are not yet in place.
    And I presume I will need to recap the Bass Energizer Modules - I can't find a time stamp on them but I did find a review of them in a 1965 Audio magazine.
    Anyway, they are a low pass network with 6-10dB insertion loss - the mids and highs get pushed down so the bass is "enhanced".
    So I put them in place - fed with my Jolida 502CRC tube amp (65w/ch est 85w/peaks). I did have to turn it up a little, but I played a couple songs.
    (Cousin Dupress, Thanks to You [Boz, from Dig], and Treetop Flyer [from Stills Alone])
    I already had improved the dynamics from all the other mods I've been doing - physical mods to the woofers, enhanced fill methods and sub-dividing the cabinet
    so the woofer has its own area to play in, venting the cap on the compression driver- QPads to dampen the 811 horn ... Now, with the Bass Energizers, I can hear
    there is a little dullness, (as I expected - I really need to finish the crossover rebuild and recap the energizers), but - dang, these Altecs Hit Hard now!

Name:  IMG_6604.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  182.4 KBName:  Crossovers_6601.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  91.1 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

A 6 - 10 dB insertion loss equates to a 4 to 10 times the power requirement to produce the same volume. Because the low end, that really requires most of the amplifier's power, sees little loss, the overall power requirement for the same dB is substantially reduced from these values.

Except from 1965 Audio magazine reviewing the 100A Bass Energizer Module

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    A 6 - 10 dB insertion loss equates to a 4 to 10 times the power requirement to produce the same volume. Because the low end, that really requires most of the amplifier's power, sees little loss, the overall power requirement for the same dB is substantially reduced from these values.
    The point is, these Energizer modules actually do work.
    Bass levels are increased with a minimal change to the volume level.

Name:  IMG_6606.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  72.5 KB

Another way to accomplish the goal without using all that power or putting resistance/inductance in the path that can have other detrimental effects on the sound is to use the bass adjustment found on most preamps/integrateds/receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Except from 1965 Audio magazine reviewing the 100A Bass Energizer Module
    Thanks for the link. I love the notion of large vs. “so called bookshelf” speakers and wifely influences.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Another way to accomplish the goal without using all that power or putting resistance/inductance in the path that can have other detrimental effects on the sound is to use the bass adjustment found on most preamps/integrateds/receivers.
    Really?? Are you really going to go THERE?? Crank the bass way up on your amp to get the same results?
    Unbelievable!
    A more Apt comparison would be to TURN DOWN the Mid and Highs -
    Or roll off the sound above 150Hz on a 31 band EQ, leaving the Bass there
    or even get something like the BX-63A for the woofer ...

Biggest issue I have with these right now is chasing down a suitable polycarbonate Cap (that will fit in the case)
    to replace the ancient electrolytics currently in there.

Thread Information