Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My revamped JBL PRO theater

My revamped JBL PRO theater

Hey LHF,

Just a few quick photos of the theater project that I finally got off of my butt and got going.

It's all JBL pro gear and Crown DCi power.

Floor is raised enough for conduit runs so all speaker wire is ran under and only speakers are in the theater. Power is in the next room.

My OPPO 103D is piped directly into the 2 DCi 8|600N's.

Currently running an Epson 5020 and hoping to find a nice Sony 4K projector next year or so. I really want to up-convert all of my shows to 2.35:1.

Anyways here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Always fun learning more.......

It still needs some tweeking but at least we can watch some great movies without the hassle of the theater.

Sorry about the twisted rack shot. No matter what way I turn it in the editor it still posts sideways.

If you ever play the cannon fodder scene from Master and Commander, remind me to bring my big boy diapers! Looks like it's coming along great!

Well now, that's a helluva set-up.

Looks like you had your wiring work cut out for you!
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Very similiar setup as mine, except I'm runing 4x4645 instead of those GTIs

I feel the 4645 lack a tiny bit in the very bottom even though I've retuned the boxes to aprox 20hz, do W15GTI work better below 30hz thatn 4645?

Have you considered lowering the main speakers? The mid seem a bit high on the wall.

I would love to have those Crown DCi 8|600N's, they really looks like the perfect ampsolution for an active hometheather setup.

Looks really impressive! I recently re-constructed my space to add subs on each side and build a baffle wall for the front stage. I am running active bi-amp with Crown DSi amps. This week I will be adding 4 ceiling speakers for an Atmos upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Well now, that's a helluva set-up.

Looks like you had your wiring work cut out for you!

It wasn't that bad, just keep them labeled and have a map!!

I am also an electrician so I am used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Very similiar setup as mine, except I'm runing 4x4645 instead of those GTIs

I feel the 4645 lack a tiny bit in the very bottom even though I've retuned the boxes to aprox 20hz, do W15GTI work better below 30hz thatn 4645?

Have you considered lowering the main speakers? The mid seem a bit high on the wall.

I would love to have those Crown DCi 8|600N's, they really looks like the perfect ampsolution for an active hometheather setup.

Yes the W15GTi's add that bottom and the 2242's give the impact and they do it well together.

I don't really have the option to lower the mains but they have a slight tilt downwards and the room is so small that you really can't miss the horns!

The L C R all have TruExtent Be diaphragms in them as well. 6 2226's really do the theater justice for that clarity that the small centers just can't do.

The DCi's are quite fantastic for this purpose that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by wrager View Post
    Looks really impressive! I recently re-constructed my space to add subs on each side and build a baffle wall for the front stage. I am running active bi-amp with Crown DSi amps. This week I will be adding 4 ceiling speakers for an Atmos upgrade.
    Yes I have seen your theater in your other thread and really like the waveguides.

We are currently remodeling our basement and during that time I will be adding 4 JBL Control 226C's to the setup as well as a DSi 2|1250N.

I too insulated the crap out of the front wall behind and on the baffle wall with sound deadening board and an insulation called Quite R for duct work. It is super quite without any resonance at all.

The family really enjoys this setup as well. WAY better than the movie theater and sticky floors and bad popcorn!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    If you ever play the cannon fodder scene from Master and Commander, remind me to bring my big boy diapers! Looks like it's coming along great!
    G and I watched Transformers "Dark of the Moon" this weekend and sound effects will really blast right through you!! It's quite the experience VS the theater my family and I went to with butt kickers. That was lame in comparison!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post

My OPPO 103D is piped directly into the 2 DCi 8|600N's.
    Awesome setup, I imaging your neighbors love it too. Out of curiosity, may I ask what you are using for a volume control? I was planning on using a EC-V on another project using a DCi and want to know what others are doing.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Yes the W15GTi's add that bottom and the 2242's give the impact and they do it well together.

I don't really have the option to lower the mains but they have a slight tilt downwards and the room is so small that you really can't miss the horns!

The L C R all have TruExtent Be diaphragms in them as well. 6 2226's really do the theater justice for that clarity that the small centers just can't do.

The DCi's are quite fantastic for this purpose that's for sure!
    I use 3x2447BE and used to have 6x2226, now I've replaced the dual 2226 with single 2216ND

I've also considerd adding W15GTI but will probably end up with 4x2269H instead

You have something too look forward to regarding Atmos, it's a lot of fun!! I use 8x8340 as surround and Atmos.

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Awesome setup, I imaging your neighbors love it too. Out of curiosity, may I ask what you are using for a volume control? I was planning on using a EC-V on another project using a DCi and want to know what others are doing.

Thanks,
    Scott

The OPPO has volume. One of the reasons I chose it. It also has a great iOS/Android app so the player does not need to be in the same room if you have a wireless network.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I use 3x2447BE and used to have 6x2226, now I've replaced the dual 2226 with single 2216ND

I've also considerd adding W15GTI but will probably end up with 4x2269H instead

You have something too look forward to regarding Atmos, it's a lot of fun!! I use 8x8340 as surround and Atmos.

That sounds pretty awesome. The 6 8340a's in mine do a really nice job so I figure just the added Control ceiling speakers should fill it in nicely.

I just used the W15GTi's because around here they go really cheap on CL like $400 or less a pair for MKII's! Another forum member sold me a second pair for a really great deal as well so when I add the second pair to the rear that should be all I will ever need.

This entire speaker setup including the Be phrams was just at 4K and I have spares for everything. My last setup of B&W signature 800's was more than twice as much and does not even come close to sounding as good as this does.

Here it was back then.

Thread Information