Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Green Man of the World. Documentary ..70 minutes

Me & The Devil Box set

http://www.amazon.com/Me-The-Devil-P.../dp/B00116GDJE

been enjoying this for a couple of days

Editorial Reviews
    2008 three CD set featuring two discs of Peter Green's award-winning recordings of bluesman Robert Johnson classics plus a third disc containing Johnson's own recordings of the songs that made him a legend. The 29 songs that Robert Johnson recorded in various Texas hotel rooms in 1936 and 1937 are amongst the most significant and influential works in the history of Blues music. It was thus very appropriate that it was to these landmark songs that Peter Green turned when recording the two albums which have done so much to re-launch his career, 1998's The Robert Johnson Songbook and 2000's Hot Foot Powder.

Track Listings
    Disc: 1
    1. I'm a Steady Rollin' Man
    2. From Four Until Late
    3. Dead Shrimp Blues
    4. Little Queen of Spades
    5. They're Red Hot
    6. Preachin' Blues
    7. Hell Hound On My Trail
    8. Traveling Riverside Blues
    9. Malted Milk
    10. Milkcow's Calf Blues
    11. Drunken Hearted Man
    12. Cross Road Blues
    13. Come On In My Kitchen

Disc: 2
    1. When You Got a Good Friend
    2. 32-20 Blues
    3. Phonograph Blues
    4. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
    5. Stop Breakin' Down Blues
    6. Terraplane Blues
    7. Walkin' Blues
    8. Love In Vain Blues
    9. Ramblin' On My Mind
    10. Stones In My Passway
    11. Me and the Devil Blues
    12. Honeymoon Blues
    13. Kind Hearted Woman Blues
    14. I Believe I'll Dust My Broom
    15. If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day
    16. Sweet Home Chicago

Geeze ... so much of Clapton has come from RJ . Stones too (Love In Vain Blues) + Zeppelin . RJ originals are hard to listen to his vocals , but then PG seems to channeling Leon Redbone on his interpretations. PG's guitar work is as expected ... outstanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks. It's in my Amazon queue.

I've had this one, a re-issue, for a couple of years. Some great cuts, some good, some . . .

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Question Fleetwood Mac / Peter Green Live at the BBC

wasn't what I expected Really got to pick thru this for good Green blues.

Elvis impersonations ? 50's parodies ? Everly Bros. ? Comedy ?

this explains better than I can
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-a...c-mw0000182601

AllMusic Review by Richie Unterberger

A substantial (and official) supplement to the band's recorded legacy with Peter Green, this double CD features 36 songs broadcast between 1967 and 1971, in mostly superlative sound.
    The title, though, isn't 100 percent accurate; half a dozen tracks were recorded shortly after Green left the band, and since Green is still listed as part of the lineup for all but one of these in the liner notes, Castle Communications either has the dates or personnel wrong. Anyway, the music gives a good idea of the range of the band in their earliest, and by many accounts, best incarnation.
    It is not, however, all blues-rock by any means; quite a few of these are given over to Jeremy Spencer-dominated parodies of '50s rock, and while these are entertaining in a modest fashion, the best moments, unsurprisingly, are when guitarists Danny Kirwan and (more particularly) Green play their own material.

Some of Green's most well-known compositions from the era are here ("Man of the World," "Albatross," "Rattlesnake Shake," and "Oh Well"), and in the usual BBC tradition, these have a sparer and rougher feel than the studio versions, though they don't either match or redefine them. "Preachin'," "Preachin' Blues," and "Early Morning Come" are otherwise unavailable showcases for Spencer, Green, and Kirwan, respectively, that demonstrate their facility with no-nonsense, down-home blues when they got in a serious mood.
    While this isn't as essential a collection as Then Play On or the numerous best-of anthologies covering the Peter Green era, it presents more solid evidence of the band's skills in both blues-rock and surprisingly straight rock (a cover of Tim Hardin's "Hang on to a Dream" is the surprise find of the set), though some may find the detours into comedy and '50s rock irksome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_a...d_Mac_album%29

Then Play On

Geeze ... what a fine album/CD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Then_Play_On

"Showbiz Blues" is really a "Green tour de force"

Kirwan doesn't really impress on"My Dream"

The ARCAM gives this an almost 3D image ..

BUT , good as the CD sounds , I MAY like it better from the vinyl,
    picked up by the V15/T4.

THIS IS AN OUTSTANDING SONIC EXPERIENCE (either way).

fine BG article ===>>>
    http://www.npr.org/2013/12/30/258376...s-worth-a-damn

The CD release sticks mostly to the order of the revised US track listing, but re-inserts the two deleted songs ("My Dream" and "When You Say") in new locations. The giggle is now tied to the end of "Fighting For Madge" instead of the beginning of "Like Crying" by the previous edit. "Oh Well" still contains the repeated minute. The two songs which appeared only on the UK LP are still missing.
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Coming Your Way" Kirwan 3:47
    2. "Closing My Eyes" Green 4:50
    3. "Showbiz Blues" Green 3:50
    4. "My Dream" Kirwan 3:30
    5. "Underway" Green 2:51
    6. "Oh Well" Green 8:56
    7. "Although the Sun Is Shining" Kirwan 2:31
    8. "Rattlesnake Shake" Green 3:32
    9. "Searching for Madge" McVie 6:56
    10. "Fighting for Madge" Fleetwood 2:45
    11. "When You Say" Kirwan 4:22
    12. "Like Crying" Kirwan 2:21
    13. "Before the Beginning" Green 3:28

AllMusic Review by Michael G. Nastos

This Peter Green-led edition of the Mac isn't just an important transition between their initial blues-based incarnation and the mega-pop band they became, it's also their most vital, exciting version.
    The addition of Danny Kirwan as second guitarist and songwriter foreshadows not only the soft-rock terrain of "Bare Trees" and "Kiln House" with Christine Perfect-McVie, but also predicts Rumours. That only pertains to roughly half of the also excellent material here, though; the rest is quintessential Green.

The immortal "Oh Well," with its hard-edged, thickly layered guitars and chamber-like sections, is perhaps the band's most enduring progressive composition. "Rattlesnake Shake" is another familiar number, a down-and-dirty, even-paced funk, with clean, wall-of-sound guitars. Choogling drums and Green's fiery improvisations power "Searching for Madge," perhaps Mac's most inspired work save "Green Manalishi," and leads into an unlikely symphonic interlude and the similar, lighter boogie "Fighting for Madge." A hot Afro-Cuban rhythm with beautiful guitars from Kirwan and Green on "Coming Your Way" not only defines the Mac's sound, but the rock aesthetic of the day. Of the songs with Kirwan's stamp on them, "Closing My Eyes" is a mysterious waltz love song; haunting guitars approach surf music on the instrumental "My Dream"; while "Although the Sun Is Shining" is the ultimate pre-Rumours number someone should revisit. Blues roots still crop up on the spatial, loose, Hendrix-tinged "Underway," the folky "Like Crying," and the final outcry of the ever-poignant "Show Biz Blues," with Green moaning "do you really give a damn for me?"
    Then Play On is a reminder of how pervasive and powerful Green's influence was on Mac's originality and individual stance beyond his involvement. Still highly recommended and a must-buy after all these years, it remains their magnum opus.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/then-play-on-mw0000651501

Couldn't agree more with comments on Then Play On, Seawolf. I still have this in record format and it is up there among my collection in terms of times played.

I was in college in the years around the first two releases with Nicks-Buckingham in the band. I had started building a decent (relative to my peers) "stereo" and already had a quite a few records including Then Play On and several other releases preceding the 1975 Fleetwood Mac album. In fact, I did not buy either 1975 Fleetwood Mac or Rumours until many years after. Everyone had these two, so a copy was always available.

I recall to this day how I would bring out an older F.M. album and try to get others interested. Always the same reaction. Sort of a mild acceptance, maybe a couple of words like "yeah, it's cool" but the older material just did not get people excited, to get up and dance or even sing along like the heavy-rotation hits from the double-platinum-covering-gold releases. Nope, Fleetwood Mac wasn't Fleetwood Mac until 1975. But then, I wasn't always there for a lot other top-40s like Journey, Foreigner, et el., either. Maybe Bob Seger.
    David F
    San Jose

Just got "The Anthology".

backing up the CD's to MD's (much better editing capabilities - ie: I didn't care for D1/T13, so relocated it to last on the MD & The Supernatural to T1)

Normally I use my duplicator deck - toss a CD in one side, MD in the other and hit a button. But on these disks, going the deluxe route for optimal sound.

The ARCAM does such an outstanding job and it's extra sound doesn't get lost in dubs, so I
    go from it to the pro MD deck. A little more effort, but worth it on material this good.

great, great PG here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4hxJQIdZk

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er

Green Manalishi?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    In the Man of the World documentary , Peter kinda mumbles a lot. Accent gets lost sometimes. BUT , singing ..he is clear and concise. I've noticed that on a lot of Brits ... in speaking , lots of local accent, but singing , well they could be American.

Hows that happen ?
    Because their accents are fake!

In the early 1990's I met Rob Halford of Judas Priest, at a meet-n-greet when he came to town with his other band.

Determined not to utter some forgettable, trite, "I've always loved your music!!", instead I asked Mr. Halford, "What the hell is a Green Manalishi?", as Judas Priest did the song on one of their earlier albums. He was somewhat taken aback, and managed to come up with: "a mystic... uh... Indian, thing-y".

Only later I learned it was a Peter Green song. That was after-the-fact awkward, the very thing I was trying to avoid in the first place.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

traded an LP to a friend and got this in return .... great album

you can stream the whole thing from this link ===>>>
    https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Green-...elease/1672307

on the right side, about halfway down. under "videos"

Ruh-roh

Live In '67

John Mayall John Mayall & The Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton

https://www.amazon.com/Live-67-John-.../dp/B00T73ATC0

Editorial Reviews

In 1967, before there was a Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood were John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. The four musicians were only together for three months, which makes it even more remarkable that a staunch fan from Holland was able to sneak a one channel reel to reel tape recorder into five London clubs and capture this exciting glimpse into music history. For almost fifty years these tapes have remained unheard until John recently got them and began restoring them with the technical assistance of Eric Corne of Forty Below Records. Corne adds ''While the source recording was very rough and the final result is certainly not hi-fidelity, it does succeed in allowing us to hear how spectacular these performances are.''

Thread Information