Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used the 328ct?

Anyone used the 328ct?

I'm looking at getting a quad of these to use as switchable bipole/dipole surrounds, a task they should be excellently suited to. Has anyone used them in such a capacity? I'd have to source the 12" faceplates ('cause they're cool) or build them out which would be a pain, but I think it'd be pretty hard to beat these, 2 per cab, in an application like that. I'd run them sealed since as surrounds I don't need <80hz out of 'em.

Well... FINE

Bought a quad for my bipole/dipole surround project. Should be sweet, they're in pretty good shape, got the quad for $200. Would love to hear any feedback on these- I suppose the phragms are cheap enough I could always risk coating them (on the compression drivers) to smooth the highs a bit, but doubt it's necessary since they'll be pointed away from the listener.

The hated 2412h

Not a high-end driver to be sure, but there's some things to like- more extension than most 1" CDs, thanks to the small phragm, less sensitive (a function of what is presumably a wider gap, weaker motor, and smaller phragm) which means less padding needed in the XO, and inexpensive embossed diaphragm replacements (that could potentially be tweaked with coatings, which I found useful on the embossed selenium d2500ti).

The JRX systems used it, and asked 1.6kHz XO with a 1st order notched crossover- but, that was first order incorporating constant directivity EQ so it was a small cap. The 328CT gives it a higher, steeper filter (1.9k @ 3rd order) but has a wider horn angle (120 deg approx.)

I guess I'll find out what makes this driver tick and see if I can tickle out some better performance. . One easy tweak will be to put a reticulated foam plug into the throat, which helps harshness in other drivers by suppressing throat reflections (and adds a very slight low pass characteristic). With the steeper, higher XO utilized in the 328CT, maybe this driver will not be so bad as in the JRX systems (also, only trying to keep up with an 8" for SPL, not a 12"/15" as in some of the other systems).

Enclosures will be 24"x18"x8" with incorporated horn extension on the front baffle to approximate a 12" horn. Sealed for starters, and utilizing the stock XO.

I have 4 Control 226C/T's that seem pretty nice. They will go overhead for my Atmos conversion in my theater. I am not sure what compression driver is in them but they sound pretty good.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    I have 4 Control 226C/T's that seem pretty nice. They will go overhead for my Atmos conversion in my theater. I am not sure what compression driver is in them but they sound pretty good.
    From looking it sure seems like the 2412h/2412h-1 under question. I've not been able to find anyone who's used this driver outside of the bog-standard jrx systems or other completed setups, so it'll be interesting to see how they play outside of those under-performing systems. Generally a waveguided 1" dome is plenty to keep up with an 8", particularly with a highish crossover of 1.9khz, so we shall see I suppose. I'll do some real testing and tweaking once the enclosures are at least partially together.

Progress

I've cut the main panels (24"x18") for the front and rear, laminated the front to 1.5", using Baltic Birch ply, and will cut a 120 degree waveguide into the baffle using that depth. It'll wind up around 14" wide once I've smoothed out the flare for transition to the baffle. I've cut rings to use behind the drivers for mounting, probably unnecessary but it allows me to damp the mechanical interface to the cab. I haven't decided on thickness yet, but will keep the enclosure/rear panel removeable (screwed from the front panel into corner structures)

So far so good, I'll be using a coping saw to do the main waveguide cuts then clean up with hand and drum sanding.

Make sure to take pictures. Sounds like a cool project!

So far just a quad of 1.5" baffles and the rear-mount rings for the drivers. Have my coping saw (Olson) and a router bit on order to create the baffle profile. Name:  DSC_2194[1].jpg
Views: 987
Size:  72.3 KB

Looking like progress.

I think I have decided to sell the 226's and go with the 321c's. I have enough room in the ceiling to create 2.5 cu ft for each of them. 12's in my ceiling should be cool!!

BTW that 8" driver looks to be a decent sized driver with a cast basket. the 300 series look to be well made.

Control 328, 321, 322, 227, 226

This control ceiling install group is very impressive. They are coaxial with a continuous curve from the HF to the surround and baffle. The 328 and 321 each use a 2412, the 322 uses a 2407 through a 3" voicecoil woofer, which is a worthwhile improvement. The 227 uses a steel backcan with drivers similar to the plastic 226, including a very impressive smaller compression driver. I have tried the 328s as main speakers in their BB cylindrical one cubic foot backcans sitting atop bass boxes-neat industrial look without grill screens- (and 227's in their half foot cans... the "waveguide" baffle is 120 degree-so really designed for ceiling use, and the crossovers are sophisticated. Any of these would be useful, but I chose to leave them stock with venting and enclosures. The 3 cubic foot boxes for the 12" models(heavy) are designed for easy installation of the driver/ baffle assembly after the box is secured (and room finished) I only have one each of the 321 and 322c, (and no example of the 312c sub bass unit for the same backcan) and was thinking of kitchen receiver setup with 227c units... I want to hear about your surround developments, please. I had thought these were underappreciated. Thank you, John Lyons

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! I'm working on these a bit today and will keep the "crew" here posted. Mine are an older version, so it's an earlier crossover and the baffle plates aren't shaped as much (which is why I'm making the waveguides as part of the baffle).

Some progress

You can see the router work in the baffle with the "lip" which then was cleared off less than perfectly (but actually, pretty darned consistent on the angle) with a coping saw. Sanding will smooth that and let me transition the waveguide smoothly into the baffle.

Name:  DSC_2203[1].jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  65.0 KBName:  DSC_2208[1].jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  54.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    You can see the router work in the baffle with the "lip" which then was cleared off less than perfectly (but actually, pretty darned consistent on the angle) with a coping saw. Sanding will smooth that and let me transition the waveguide smoothly into the baffle.

Name:  DSC_2203[1].jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  65.0 KBName:  DSC_2208[1].jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  54.4 KB
    That is a pretty tough angle no matter how you slice it! Pun intended!!

Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    That is a pretty tough angle no matter how you slice it! Pun intended!!

Nice job.
    Thanks! The inner section is near perfect except for a few coping saw scrapes- so I'm hoping that with sanding, the outer section can be smoothed out to look more consistent. I cut the through-hole, then removed the bulk of remaining material with a large-format 45 degree chamfer bit, then used a 60 degree chamfer bit to set the start of the profile. I then cut the remaining "lip" off with the coping saw by hand- not fast or easy, trying to keep the angle right. 2 are done, needing sanding, the other two will need a good-weather day to complete, raining all day tomorrow and my workspace is outside.

The sanding will reduce overall thickness somewhat, which will allow even better tracking to the cone profile. I have to decide how I'm going to do the mounting ring setup internally, but that's an easy problem, as is the rest of the enclosure assembly, the waveguides are by far the hardest part of this job and they're 75% done.

Spent some serious coping saw and file time yesterday so now all four are cut and mostly shaped/smoothed out from the less-than-perfect coping saw work. I could've used finer teeth and gone slower but now I'm past that part and stumbling forward. If I had it to re-do, I'd do it all with the 60 degree bit and templates, which would require careful alignment of the workpieces but would ultimately be easier and better.

My next decision to make is regarding the mouth flare- do I do it now, or use felt on the baffle to terminate the waveguide? If I use felt, I could extend the profile out later if I so desired, letting me bolt on a horn continuation if I want lower directivity control. If I were to flare the mouth, I'd then have to fill that discontinuity.

Thread Information