Thread: 2234/2235 Voice Coil Former Length??

2234/2235 Voice Coil Former Length??

Hey, I need someone to do a little measurement, to settle a discussion here.

Anyone who has a loose 2234 or 2235 kit (new or used), PLEASE take a ruler or tape measure, and measure the HEIGHT of the voice coil former (along the travel), from the top (in front of the cone) to the bottom (at the very back of the windings, toward where the backplate goes). If the coil was sitting on a table, flat, what I need is the height that it sits above the table, in essence.

I'm pretty sure it should be about 1.150" (between 1 1/8" and 1 3/16"), but there someone here that seems to insist it should be 1 3/8". AFAIK, a 1 3/8" coil wouldl not fit under the correct dustcap (which is about 4 1/8" diameter)... it'll have to stick out too high to the front of the cone. Basically, I think that someone's got a 2240H voice coil (for the 18") here, rather than a 2235H voice coil, in essence...

Thanks to anyone that can help...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Hi

I can do this for you since I have an unused 2235 kit sitting here.

If the coil was sitting on a table, flat, what I need is the height that it sits above the table, in essence.

- this 1.5 yr old kit has a former height that is very close to, if not exactly 1.25" .

- a good 1/8" of the voice coil former sits above the "glueline" that is defined by where the paper cone meets and is glued to the kapton (like) voice-coil former. This top "ridge" will effect what size dustcap will clear the VC-former.

- bottom of spider ( the gluing surface ) is @ 7/8" above the last coil winding .

<> Earl K

Cool, so it sounds like a 1.150" VC height would be about dead on. I thought so! Minus about 3/32 of that 1/8" "overhang" of the coil out of the front of the cone... sounds about ideal.

Thought that was how it looked, when I was trial-fitting here...

BTW: What diameter dustcap are they sending with the kits now, with that longer (1.25") former? Is it still 4 1/8" or is it like 4 3/8" or so (4.406")?

Thanks a bunch!

Regards,
    Gordon.

BTW: What diameter dustcap are they sending with the kits now, with that longer (1.25") former? Is it still 4 1/8" or is it like 4 3/8" or so (4.406")?
    None of the above ,,,,

The dust-cap is 4 1/4" ( right on the measurement )

Though , remember, this is Canada, I'm quite convinced that we get a lot of JBL "hand-me downs" sent up here .

This 4.25" size matches the dustcap size found on my le14a and le10a(s) but is smaller than the dustcaps on my le14h or ME150h woofers .

<. Earl K

Thread Information