Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: K 145

paragon

Urei

No, sorry.

Eckhard

Urei 2215 is the same driver as the JBL. You can use the T/S for the 2215.

Rob

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Urei 2215 is the same driver as the JBL. You can use the T/S for the 2215.

Rob
    OK, thanks, I was hoping for that, but wasn't sure. So is there no difference whatsoever between them?

Roland

The UREI version is the "H" or ferrite magnet conversion of the previous 2215B/LE15A. This was the same driver that JBL labeled as the LE-15H in the Paragon after 1979. The UREI 2215H only became part of the 813C monitor after JBL bought UREI and they just substituted drivers from their own inventory. Therefore, it is identical to the JBL 2215H for which T/S parameters are listed here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-3a/page09.jpg
    Regards

Don McRitchie

pangea

2215h

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    The UREI version is the "H" or ferrite magnet conversion of the previous 2215B/LE15A. This was the same driver that JBL labeled as the LE-15H in the Paragon after 1979. The UREI 2215H only became part of the 813C monitor after JBL bought UREI and they just substituted drivers from their own inventory. Therefore, it is identical to the JBL 2215H for which T/S parameters are listed here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-3a/page09.jpg
    Thank you for the info! But he 2215H wasn't on the list, perhaps it's on a previous page, or is it the values on the LE15A I should look for?

Roland

paragon

Get K145

Get the old K145 today. No good condition. The cone is ok and the speaeker
    works, but the surround has some nicks(?). The polplate is rusty and i have to restore this driver.
    What is this black "glue" the dustcap and the surround is fixed with ??
    Shall i use speaker-treatment (for cone damping)to restore the surround ?
    Cone and surround is build frome one piece moulded paper, so i think this is an very old one. Later build drivers are made with cloth surrounds ?
    Serial number is 15577.
    Can anybody help restore this surround ? Pics later.

Eckhard

paragon

Pics K145 1

Backside, rust, dirty
    Attached Images Attached Images  

paragon

Pic 2

Front, cone ok, surround bad

paragon

Detail surround

Some bad parts

Hi Eckhard

Really , that K145 looks a lot better than the initial impression that I had gotten .

Nice speaker, I wish I had a couple of those K145s ( yes it is indeed a sickness ) .
    If I had a pair - I'd look into putting foam surrounds on them to create a hybrid le15/K145 thingy-dingy with a lower Fs ( like 27hz ). I'd also treat the cones to add a bit of mass. This might of course, be a direct route towards , two premature reconings

Now seriously, I can't really see "the problems" you've mentioned .

Does the surround have some long ( circular ) splits in it , somewhere ?
    - I can't see any . Most times, for home use, these splits can be fixed by one means or another .

Maybe start a thread about fixing surround-splits . The older forums used to have quite a few. Cigarette papers and white-glue comes to mind , etc.

Damping "goo" can be obtained from experienced long-time reconers - just don't expect to mooch all this repair stuff for free. ElectroVoice used to have a goop that they treated their own foam surrounds with . It "looked" like white glue before application - but cured/dried? "clear" and flexible,. It was able to maintain the compliance of the foam surround. Audax would need to have something similar for all their foam-surround hifi transducers .

What are you going to use these speakers for ?

<. Earl K

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    Thank you for the info! But he 2215H wasn't on the list, perhaps it's on a previous page, or is it the values on the LE15A I should look for?

Roland
    My mistake, it's on the previous page. You can access all of the pages from here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/tech1-3a.htm
    Regards

Don McRitchie

paragon

Surround restore

Hello Earl,

There are no holes or splits in the surround. Only dirt, i can`t remove and some lost of paper and this black viscous glue (like tar ?).
    So i just want to restore it with this black glue or damping material.
    But where can i get this ?
    Yes, have to remove the rust from the polplate and have to paint the basket and magnet pot black.
    Try to fix this driver in my 4530 (40,5 cm Dia !!)?
    I only get one of this rare thing. Hard to get here in Germany. Two weeks ago there where three in Ebay and i lost two.
    The first was sold for only 92 Euro (115 USD?). The guy who sold this has another fixed in his old enclosure. Hope to get this too.
    A german "friend" in Berlin has the newer E145 and i said to him "Doen`t sell this drivers !"

Eckhard

Paragon

Theres nothing wrong with the older style surround, it works quite well. You can restore it by applying a coat of viscous damping fluid! Call JBL and get a bottle of the stuff, and you will pay for it but this is what you use.

From the looks of your pictures theres not much really wrong with your surround, other than aged looks and some crud!

Fix it up, and listen to it in its original state to see what you hear, BEFORE you decide to re engineer the speaker! You might be surprised what you hear! If, after you have listened to the K145 in its original state, decide you think you need to alter the Fs, change the type of surround, etc, then you can do what you want. But listen to it first!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by paragon
    Hello Earl,
    There are no holes or splits in the surround. Only dirt, i can`t remove and some lost of paper and this black viscous glue (like tar ?).
    Ohhh, well that's good. Personally when it comes to dirt and grime in the pleats of the surround - the only way I know to clean it out is by using ones' fingers or tweezers. I also use those "locking" type surgical tools ( hemo???? - I forget the real name, off-hand ) .

So i just want to restore it with this black glue or damping material.
    But where can i get this ?
    Well, If you just pick out the dirt pieces ( may take a month in front of the TV ) then you won't need to restore anything - unless the surround is all dried up and brittle . Is it still a bit "tacky" ?

- There are some reconers who frequent this forum , they may have better ideas for you. Anyone ???
    - They may also know the name ( product number ) of the Waldom goop to buy, to put onto those surrounds ..

<> Earl K

paragon

Repair surround

Tanks Earl and Scott,

I will ask Harman Deutschland or Guido (in German) for this stuff.
    Yes Scott, the surround is still working an i only want to "paint" it with this "glue".
    No new suorround and nothing else.

Eckhard

Thread Information