Thread: K 145

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    paragon

K 145

Just bought a K 145 on Ebay. Price was 145 USD including shipping. Sorry, lost the other one (was to late), so i get only one
    What do you think about this speaker ?
    I think it`s one of the best you can get from JBL (similar to 150C, underhang voice coil, large alnico, rare).

Eckhard

pangea

K145

I had a pair of those, mounted in a pair of 4530's back in the seventies. You can't eveven begin to imagine how many times I've regretted selling them, just as I regretted having sold my L300's some years later.

/Roland

paragon

Sad

/Yes Roland,

Feel with you. I think this is one of the most expensieve bass drivers JBL ever build.
    Waiting for it. The guy who sold this had four of this and i need another one.
    When i bought my four 2205A in 79/80 the price for the K145 was only 50 DM higher than the 2205 (2205= 425 DM, K145= 475 DM).
    But you sold a pair L300 ???? Oh God, what a mistake !!

Eckhard

paragon

Whats that speaker in your avatar ? Pics please.

Eckhard

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by paragon
    /Yes Roland,

Feel with you. I think this is one of the most expensieve bass drivers JBL ever build.
    Waiting for it. The guy who sold this had four of this and i need another one.
    When i bought my four 2205A in 79/80 the price for the K145 was only 50 DM higher than the 2205 (2205= 425 DM, K145= 475 DM).
    But you sold a pair L300 ???? Oh God, what a mistake !!

Eckhard
    I KNOW!!! I deserve a real horse whipping!!!
    Why do you think I had to post four of the banging heads on the brick wall?

It still hurts!!!
    I even sold them cheap to an old friend whom I lost contact with, some ten years ago.

/Roland

paragon

L300

A few years ago an old man sold his L300 for only 1200 DM. I was to late .
    The bassdrivers where reconed by Harman Deutschland !!!
    Lucky man bought this.
    The old man bought Wilson Watt puppy (?). Sh.. Small speakers for much money.

Eckhard

pangea

Unhappy

A few years ago an old man sold his L300 for only 1200 DM. I was to late .
    The bassdrivers where reconed by Harman Deutschland !!!
    Lucky man bought this.
    The old man bought Wilson Watt puppy (?). Sh.. Small speakers for much money.

Eckhard
    A few years after I sold my L300's, the Swedish representative, whom I knew and had helped few times at various HiFi-shows, phoned me and said that one of his customers were selling his Paragon for 15000SEK, roughly 1500€, a bargain even in the late seventies.
    But when I got there with the money in my hand, the Paragon had been already sold to another person, only 15 minutes earlier!!!

Do you think that did hurt me???

So, it seems we share a few common experiences.

/Roland

davp2000
    Just bought a K 145 on Ebay. Price was 145 USD including shipping. Sorry, lost the other one (was to late), so i get only one
    What do you think about this speaker ?
    I think it`s one of the best you can get from JBL (similar to 150C, underhang voice coil, large alnico, rare).

Eckhard
    The K-145 is a musical instrument loadspeaker. It does have a wide coild and a deep gap. However it is a rather ineffcient loadspeaker compared to other that JBL makes. It's main use was in custom bass guitar boxes and as a replacement for the bass speaker in a Leslie organ unit. The four ohm unit performs better than the 8 ohm unit. No my favorite JBL 15".

davp2000

pangea

Mtm

-Earl K

Is this in the region of what you were thinking?

If so, would then the next step be, to determine the distance between the drivers and the x-over points?

BR
    Roland

Hey Roland

Nice Concept! That's very handsome ! ( I love the lines )

Keep your working concept; ( & try to incorporate the following )

(i) Horn Height - center of the Selenium needs to be at ear level for your favourite listening position. Usually, 30" to 36" ( @ 762 - 915 mm ) depending on the chair/couch . ( this ends up making the height of the bottom box very important )

(ii) Get the 2 woofers edges ( in your case the 2215 and 2123 ) as close as possible to the "edge" of the horn - they don't need to touch. Once you've done this , tell me the distance between the centers of the two woofers .
    Also measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the 15" woofer.

(iii)Optional : If you desire, sneek that 2402 between the Selenium and the 2123 ( as tight as possible ) - and tell me the new measurements between the woofer centers .

regards <. Earl K

pangea

Mtm

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Hey Roland

Nice Concept! That's very handsome ! ( I love the lines )

Keep your working concept; ( & try to incorporate the following )

(i) Horn Height - center of the Selenium needs to be at ear level for your favourite listening position. Usually, 30" to 36" ( @ 762 - 915 mm ) depending on the chair/couch . ( this ends up making the height of the bottom box very important )

(ii) Get the 2 woofers edges ( in your case the 2215 and 2123 ) as close as possible to the "edge" of the horn - they don't need to touch. Once you've done this , tell me the distance between the centers of the two woofers .
    Also measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the 15" woofer.

(iii)Optional : If you desire, sneek that 2402 between the Selenium and the 2123 ( as tight as possible ) - and tell me the new measurements between the woofer centers .

regards <. Earl K
    Like this?

BR
    Roland

Hi Roland

Looking Good - Real Good !

Lets pick this up tomorrow - sometime . The "075" needs a better placement for both orientations.

Remember to make a drawing where the top box is "flipped" into the "normal" "orientation" - of a 43XX type playback system.

- ( 43XX systems have had in the past - the tweeter "beside" the horn / without the world coming to an "end" )

regards <. Earl K

Thread Information