Thread: (an air of desperation) -- anyone here know how to dissect an EV 12TRXB/15TRXB?

(an air of desperation) -- anyone here know how to dissect an EV 12TRXB/15TRXB?

Yes, yes -- I know this is the "Lansing heritage forum"... and as the ever-pleased owner of a nice pair of Altec 604Es (and a 'fixer-upper' par of 604Bs and a smattering of other Altec & yes, even JBL components), I do qualify for admission!

but... I have this other, somewhat nonlinear obsession related to Electrovoice components. I (literally) grew up with EV loudspeakers (Myparents had EV Wolverine twincone "fullrange" drivers in home-made cabinets when I was a wee lad). Consequently, I've acquired... a few... EV drivers over the past couple of decades. So, please indulge me and let me know if anyone here can help with an EV coax question.

15TRXBfront by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Does ANYone know how to get access to the tweeter diaphragms on these old EV coaxes (either the older or the newer basket/tweeter design; there're a smattering of 'em down in the basement, as I recall).

I "know" from the internet :-) that one can access the crossover components & the back side of the tweeter by removing the nameplate on the bell cover, and I further "know" that judicious use of a heat gun can enable such... but, beyond that, I can find no info.

A fellow on AK recently reported trying to get at the diaphragm on a 15TRXB, but it seemed that discretion was the better part of valor, and he backed off and decided to add a separate tweeter.

It appears that original EV diaphragms (which used to be sold as a unit with their housing and gaskets) are no longer available, but aftermarket diaphragms are.

Thanks for any and all insight!

I am getting tired of having large paperweights taking up so much space; I am really, really tempted to try replacing a tweeter diaphragm in one (or more!) as a winter project this year.

* Pretty sure the tweeter diaphragm in this one's bad; even gave it a CAT scan for noninvasive diagnosis ;-)

EV15TRXBflipside by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Try the following link ( for some inspiration ) ; click the pic !

wow, a veritable tower of Babel of languages :-)

in that DIYAudio thread, that is!

Thanks for sharing it, though -- great photographs.
    Doesn't look like a walk in the park, does it?

Zen Mod posts quite a bit on the US DIYAudio site, in English even!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/zen-mod.html

Thread Information