Thread: 19" rack confusion

19" rack confusion

I have a tabletop 15U 19" rack. Why is it that none of my Carver stuff (except the PM 1.5t amp) with rack handles have screw holes 18.5" apart. All appear to be 18" or less. Do I have to load up on shelves?
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Maybe for the look?? The home stereo racks I have had wouldn't take Pro gear with the mounts. Not wide enough. You couid make extenders out of say sheet metal, paint them black and mount them that way. Depends on heavy they are though. The amp mounts on my Crowns are some serious beefy metal. Are the Carvers the Magnetic Field Amps?? May not be a problem as they should be much lighter.

Rob

RIP 2009
    I've mounted a lot of "home" equipment in 19" racks doing just what Rob suggested - making rack ears and screwing them to the sides of the equipment. In almost all cases I would make them long enough down the sides to simply remove the unit's case mounting screws and use those points for mounting the rack ears, (sometimes slightly longer screws were necessary). That way no modification to the units themselves was necessary - I could always take them back to stock, and when mounted, the weight was supported down the sides, preventing twisting of the units if the ears were just attached near the front. The biggest problem would be finding, (or building), rack ears that result in a final width of 19" when mounted. In this case, you may still have to go to a shelf. When I've had to use a shelf, I tried using the foot mounting holes for attaching whenever possible.

Here's a link that has lots of different variations available, both ears and shelves: http://www.hometech.com/rack/rackshelf.html#MD-RSH4A

John

Silly Carver...

I have this problem as well. Carver's home gear - for reasons of looks I guess - has non-standard rack ears with holes that do not line up with 19" racks. I had mine drilled out and they work great now.

As you noted, the Carver pro gear does not have this issue...

jblnut

Thread Information