Thread: Hum?? WHAT hum!!??!!

Hum?? WHAT hum!!??!!

Greetings, All,

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but always seem to get wrapped up in work, or other projects, and forget to do so. A good while ago, I posted a note about a horrid hum/buzz, we had in our stereo system, and it seemed to get worse, as soon as we got our then new CRT TV. Lots of excellent suggestions were forthcoming for how to deal with nasty extraneous noises in music systems. Some never did any good, and I never had time to get into the more detailed ones, such as adding a new HD breaker to our junction box, strongly grounded, just for our stereo!

In any case after I finally got my 4645 subwoofers hooked up, and ready to use with our L300's, I decided to completely remove all components from my system, and start from scratch, using a few different components. I removed the H/K AVR 20 receiver and the H/K 870 power amp, plus a few other components that were seldom, if ever used, i.e., cassette player, VHS machine, etc.. When putting it all back together, I decided to use an H/K 825 preamp, and my Crown PS 400 power amp. To see how that worked out, I reinstalled our CD/DVD player (H/K), a digital H/K tuner, H/K EQ8, and H/K CD player/recorder. I also added in the Peavey CS1200X brute of an amp, and an Ashly XR1001 crossover, too, but will discuss that in another post, probably after Christmas!

After getting all this setup, and tested, I was rather surprised, and very happy to find that my nasty hum/buzz was completely GONE!!! Nary a sound from the system, not even a gentle hiss, when not playing, and the music is clean, clear, and very detailed!!! Last night, Sweet Bride and I sat down on the couch and spent a few hours playing and listening to a variety of music, and both of us love the new setup!! The only fly in the ointment is that, now, I can't get the Cable and DVD player to play nicely together, as they did before. Oh, well..... we're so happy with the music that Cable, and DVD's can wait!!!

Just wanted to share this good news with you all, and as promised, there will be more reports of my "new" system after Christmas!!! Suffice it to say, we're both Happy Campers, with the music, and that, as we all know, is the most important thing!! Oh, and by the way, I suspect that either one of the removed components, or it's connecting cables, were the cause of my nasty hum, and as I most on down the road, I'm sure I'll find exactly which thing it was. Take care, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Glad you got it fixed Doc

IF you had the patience , removing 1 component at a time and retesting may
    have saved you a future issue by ID'ing the culprit ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sweet!! Audio bliss!! Congrats Doc!!

Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information