Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How big are your JBL?

How big are your JBL?

Yesterday evening we went to a club in San Francisco and we came across the biggest speakers ever. The HF section was JBL, I don't know about the LF section but it was realy impressive. They have four of them at each corners and standing in the middle dancing (drink mandatory ) was infredible. Clean, sharp, snappy sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

one more

Samtastic in action...

RIP 2009
    What club is that? Was it live music, (band?), or recorded? Are those permanent, or was it more of a one-time "rave" deal? 'Looks like a warehouse with really high ceilings...

John

The club was "mighty" located in Protrero Hill, cool place, not to crowded.
    It's a regular SF club, no band or gig, just music and a big bar.

Fred.

pelly3s
    those are pretty big stacks. i've only done one bigger but it was for a rave and it got so loud it was sick. It was 4 BH-800's 4 2x15 Forsyths 2 huge ev horns about about 20 peizos. noone ever said it had to sound good lol just be loud. it was 2 wide and 2 tall with the horns angled ontop so the would aim more towards the center of the room

2405's

are those 2405s at ear height ???

djrobertc
    Those are Richard Long made boxes formerly installed at 177 Townsend. I've had the honor of playing there before they converted to a quasi digital system and before they changed the drivers from the originals. Here are the specs on the club.

When it was installed at Townsend they also had two tweeter arrays with 4 x 075 bullets each. It was by far one of the best systems ever in SF.

I have only heard the modified system at Mighty once and it sounded pretty good. There is a lot of exposed brick in the building and little acoustic treatment done so I was a little dissapointed in that area.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by djrobertc
    Those are Richard Long made boxes formerly installed at 177 Townsend.

When it was installed at Townsend they also had two tweeter arrays with 4 x 075 bullets each. It was by far one of the best systems ever in SF.
    Yeah I remember the acrylic 075 quad arrays flown overhead. I was surprised the sound made it down to the dance floor, but overall it did have a very good sound. Very powerful and taught bass too.

Widget

djrobertc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Yeah I remember the acrylic 075 quad arrays flown overhead. I was surprised the sound made it down to the dance floor, but overall it did have a very good sound. Very powerful and taught bass too.

Widget
    *sigh. I miss those days.

I dream to one day own a club and construct a system based on Richard's theories.

Those RLA cabinets!

Quote Originally Posted by djrobertc
    *sigh. I miss those days.

I dream to one day own a club and construct a system based on Richard's theories.

Those are 80,s RLA cabinets, made for him by EAW! The lower mid horn with the phase plugs is called the DD horn, the double 15in loaded bent horn under that is the Puissance!

The RLA Z arrays ( 075,s in silver plexi tubes ) were in every RLA install, Studio 54, Paradise Garage, Zanzibar, etc! I use use four arrays similar, loaded with 2402h,s.

Here in NY, though, most of the systems dating back into the 70,s had the 2395 lens horns!

The RLA systems rocked, and I still use that ancient RLA crossover, the three little red knobs! It didnt just sound good then, it still sounds great to this day! I have tried everything, well almost, and I keep that thing in my system for without it, it just doesnt sound the same!

The man known as Richard Long was a genius! As well as the man who designed and built his electronics for him, Alan Fierstein of Acoustilog NYC!

That was, and still is THE SOUND of all time!

Bumper cars still have and use RLA inspired system! It will not be beat!

scottyj

I must tell you, though!

The information on the clubs website is incorrect! That system shown here was NOT from Sound Factory NYC. The factory,s system left the 27th st location when factory got shut down in 94, ( Mayor Giuallianis main NYC Improvement, not ) and went uptown to 46th st in manhattan to the NEW factory location.

However, if it is the system from factory, then it wasnt an RLA system, it was a Phil Smith/Steve Dash system! But Factory didnt have the Puissance cabinets, they had Quad 15in cabinets, direct radiator, ported cabinets! Also, factory didnt have the big JBL mid horn, they had two smaller horns per stack, splayed! Under the quad boxes were Levan Horns, NOT Emeralds! And you would notice them in the picture if they were there!

It is a 1980,s RLA system, but it is not the system from Sound Factory!

And lastly, yes, according to the equipment listing, they have modified it extensively!
    scottyj

djrobertc
    Hey scotty! you're 100% correct, that system was supposed to be installed in a system in Chicago cira 1980 but they decided not to open it and the system sat in storage for a while. story goes that when 177 townsend was getting ready to open, the specs for the dancefloor were pretty much the same as the original club in Chicago (if divided in two - why Townsend had the back room) and so Townsend bought the system and installed it.

One day scotty Ill come out there and check out the island bumber cars

<3

dieterj

Sf

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    It is a 1980,s RLA system, but it is not the system from Sound Factory!
    Hello Scott,
    Is this the System from the Factory?
    Was it fully Jbl loaded......which Speakers in the Basshorn?
    Dieter

Thats the Twilo stacks!

Thats the club in the 27th st space after factory, called Twilo! It pretty identical to the Sound factory stacks, except for the D horn low mid cabinets! Factory had the EAW MH-102,s! This comapny is known as Phazon!

The Factory quad box was loaded with TAD 1601A,s and the Twilo quads, JBL 2226H. The 10,s were not JBL, nor were the compression drivers. Supposedly Factory had the TAD 4001,s, and Twilo had RCF compression drivers! JBL 2404 tweeters on top, and over the dance floor in arrays of four, they had 16 JBL 2405 slots!

The Levan Horns are JBL loaded. Twilos basshorns were loaded with the JBL 2242, they changed the throat, and a couple of other things inside the newer style basshorn to accomodate the 2242, and powered them with Crown 3600,s! The output was incredible, but I never really cared for the way JBL 18,s sounded in that type of enclosure!

However, in all fairness, you could stand right in font of those stacks, and talk to someone else, be pounded by the bottom, and the sound didnt hurt your ears!

The original Levan Horn bass cabinets had a different throat, horn, and Richard Long had a woofer made for him by Eminence, it was called the RLA-18016, and was a copy of the original Cerwin Vega 189E, from the Vega " Earthquake " cabinet!

scottyj

Thread Information