Thread: Adding a tweeter to Altecs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Adding a tweeter to Altecs

I have a pair of VOT Magnificents that I would like to add a tweeter to. The speakers are in remarkable condition and I would prefer to leave them intact and use an externally mounted tweet and crossover. I've looked at the JBL 075's as a canidate, but would like to hear any sugguestions. Thanks to all.
    Robin
    Robin

The 077/2405 slot definitely goes higher in frequency than the 075/2402... I'd be inclined to do that.

Otherwise, the Fostex FT17H horn would be a good choice. Very efficient, very flat out to like FORTY KILOHERTZ! Now, THAT'S a SUPER-tweeter!

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    The 077/2405 slot definitely goes higher in frequency than the 075/2402... I'd be inclined to do that.

Otherwise, the Fostex FT17H horn would be a good choice. Very efficient, very flat out to like FORTY KILOHERTZ! Now, THAT'S a SUPER-tweeter!

Regards,
    Gordon.
    How would you crossover the highs? Can I just tap off of the existing horn? What vintage crossover could I use to best benifit or is there a better way?
    Robin

Anyone see any problem with him just hooking up something like an N8000 BEFORE the speaker cabinet, and just sending the low pass into the Magnificent and the highpass into the 075/077? It'd be staged in reverse to the normal way these are used, but as long as the crossovers are made to be cascaded (which I know an N8000 is), it shouldn't matter much which order, right? I'd not expect the Magnificent crossover to have any wild impedence issues, right?

If this is do-able, then the Altec wouldn't have to be modified at all... it'd just be a "black box" receiving the low pass of the external crossover...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thanks for the input! I'll look around for the components. The 075's and the 077's seem to bring about 450 on Ebay. (I have an extra pair of N500-e Altec crossovers I'd like to sell or trade for something that would work.)
    Robin

Todd W. White

Why?

If your Altec MAGNIFICENT's are working properly, they go way up there by themselves. Is there a particular problem you're having with them that would make you want to add supertweeters?

John Sheerin
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonW

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Gordon,
    Have you actually measured that? If so, maybe I have a dud - mine starts rolling off above 10k. Sensitivity is also only spec'd at 98dB iirc, so not really in the same range as some more expensive items.

John

Robin

I can suggest you to use as tweeter an electro voice ST350A or B

Patrick

Maron Horonzakz
    The EV st350 due to its phenolic diaphram do not do mutch above above 15k.. I would recommend JBL 2404 or 2405 good to 21.5k

Hello rloggie

You have any test equipment?? I use an RTA to set things up and balance out the drivers in my speakers. You could purchase something like a Behringer 8024 or go the PC route with software. Either way will work well and give you the tools you need to take some basic measurements that won't cost you an arm and a leg. I will post a link for software. If you go that route you need a measurement microphone and a phantom power source. You could just get a battery source like a Crown PH-IA. You see them on Ebay or an inexpensive mixer will do nicely too.

http://www.trueaudio.com/

http://www.behringer.com/ECM8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/mics/103292.pdf

Just examples there is lot's of stuff available just start looking.

Rob

Thread Information