Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: foilcals for 4345

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    If I can dig some black ones up I'll send them to you
    It always works that way; when you want one, you can only find the other (unless you're willing to pay the ridiculous $10 bucks a pop price
    The white ones can always be made black if that seller will give you a reasonable deal

I'll check with a flipper friend of mine tomorrow (yeah, we all know at least one), we may get lucky; he's got a pair of trashed cabs but right now I don't know what's left on them

Best wishes,
    Thomas
    Thank you very much Wagner, appreciate it.
    Christophe

I just got a price of 85 bucks each from the sign-shop guy on ebay for the 4345 foilcals......Wagner is correct in his description! That is a totally out in left field price.

I agree with you on the "Sign shop Bandit"

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    I just got a price of 85 bucks each from the sign-shop guy on ebay for the 4345 foilcals......Wagner is correct in his description! That is a totally out in left field price.
    I know! I had the same offer for my L300 project. I know he does good work. But its kind of like the Wall Street guy who recently raised the price on a long-existing drug called Daraprim from $13.50 a pill to $750 overnight because he was the only manufacturer. Merry Christmas Scrooge!

Tom

I wonder what kind of printer he's using. He told me that it would take a week to make them and two days later they were in the mail.
    They are very nice looking but this crazy expensive! $205 CAD! They cost me more than my 2405s! Crazy!
    C

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Do they have mounting posts attached, or just bare-back? I have a set without and no real good solution to mounting them. Just curious.

I don't really like the look of them with the badges anyway where I have them. They're imposing enough in my living room even with black grilles!

Where did your blank-backed badges originate?

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Where did your blank-backed badges originate?

My cabinets and grilles were built by Rick of Kenrick for Dave of Katzass Audio who populated them with JBL OE drivers and later sold them to a member here who sold them to me. I don't know where the badges came in but when I got them the grilles were still in bags never having been used and the badges in wrappers.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

My cabinets and grilles were built by Rick of Kenrick for Dave of Katzass Audio who populated them with JBL OE drivers and later sold them to a member here who sold them to me. I don't know where the badges came in but when I got them the grilles were still in bags never having been used and the badges in wrappers.

Do you have a plan for the badges?
    If not, I may be able to give them a home.

I don't have a problem with someone asking stupid high prices for foilcals or even screws you can pick up at the local hardware store, but I personally think it's unethical (and kind of creepy) to sell (and buy) fake red driver seals. It's not like they're needed to make a pair of speakers look right; they're not visible after the drivers are installed after all. The only purpose I can see is to mislead a potential buyer into thinking the diaphragm is original and the driver unmolested when that probably isn't the case. It's helping someone commit fraud IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Do you have a plan for the badges?
    If not, I may be able to give them a home.
    Sorry, they're to remain part of the set.

Where they go after I die, I care not. Sort of.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I don't have a problem with someone asking stupid high prices for foilcals or even screws you can pick up at the local hardware store, but I personally think it's unethical (and kind of creepy) to sell (and buy) fake red driver seals. It's not like they're needed to make a pair of speakers look right; they're not visible after the drivers are installed after all. The only purpose I can see is to mislead a potential buyer into thinking the diaphragm is original and the driver unmolested when that probably isn't the case. It's helping someone commit fraud IMO.
    With a very special driver, that I KNEW had simply lost a couple of theirs from old age shrinkage, I MIGHT consider them, MAYBE........................but even then, how many of those plugs do you think are actually sold with that motive in mind, and with full disclosure?

If you are lucky enough to have seen or owned enough of the real deals, you can spot his fakes a mile away anyway

And gain with his bull shit pricing.........................fugedaboudit

85 apiece is inline with what I paid almost 10 years ago. I do not think oem-quality printed aluminum badges fall out of trees. You need the equipment, materials, research, talent and time. And some volume expectation to spread the cost over to justify making them.

Quote Originally Posted by remusr View Post
    85 apiece is inline with what I paid almost 10 years ago. I do not think oem-quality printed aluminum badges fall out of trees. You need the equipment, materials, research, talent and time. And some volume expectation to spread the cost over to justify making them.
    Maybe 10 years ago, but today? With the printing, materials and format programs available today to over the counter end users, even for "desk top" operations? It's a gouge, I don't give a shit whether they "fall out of trees" or not

I do agree though, value is in the eye of the beholder, so carry on, more power to you
    All I know is it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay that guy (or anyone, it's NOT personal) that kind of money for a foilcal, no matter how nice his work (or personality) may be

Especially with consideration of the fact that he is either unable or unwilling to serialize the things (something that actually requires more than just computer skills); that tells me pretty much all I need to know about just how difficult the process has to be (once you've invested in the hardware/software to make it all happen) That and the fact that the hardware/software isn't exclusive to just making JBL foilcals, I am quite certain it translates to any number of production capabilities/applications he could engage to amortize his costs............plus, the guy has been around for what seems like ages now?

If he wants to limit is activities to milking that one cow then that's his business and fine with me, more power to him and I wish him well; he just won't get any of mine no matter how badly I may want any of his goods. Good quality diaphragms can be had for the same sort of money, hell, even a decent Mackenzie recone kit (good enough for EV on some of their classic drivers, good enough for me in a pinch)

And they don't "fall out of trees" either

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Maybe 10 years ago, but today? With the printing, materials and format programs available today to over the counter end users, even for "desk top" operations? It's a gouge, I don't give a shit whether they grow on trees or not

I do agree though, value is in the eye of the beholder, so carry on, more power to you
    All I know is it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay that guy (or anyone, it's NOT personal) that kind of money for a foilcal, no mater how nice his work (or personality) may be

Especially with consideration of the fact that he is either unable or unwilling to serialize the things (something that actually requires more than just computer skills); that tells me pretty much all I need to know about just how difficult the process has to be (once you've invested in the hardware/software to make it all happen) That and the fact that the hardware/software isn't exclusive to just making JBL foilcals, I am quite certain it translates to any number of production capabilities/applications he could engage to amortize his costs............plus, the guy has been around for what seems like ages now?

If he wants to limit is activities to milking that one cow then that's his business and fine with me, more power to him and I wish him well; he just won't get any of mine no matter how badly I may want any of his goods. Good quality diaphragms can be had for the same sort of money, hell, even a decent Mackenzie recone kit (good enough for EV on some of their classic drivers, good enough for me in a pinch)

And they don't "fall out of trees" either
    Ditto!

Would not adding serial numbers be akin to counterfeiting? That seems a bridge too far for a replica. Otherwise you are entitled to your opinions. However I do not note a bunch of opportunists rushing to do what you describe so you may be unrealistic in your expectations. And why do you come across as so angry about this? Have you had a nasty experience here that I missed the telling of?

I made my own and no one's complained!
    At least when they are adjusted to zero (using my proprietary measurement technique ) l know the whole mess is flat and l dont have to wait for an anxiety attack...lol.

Thread Information