Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 4367 first listen

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    jpw, I recommend using this: http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/ It has helped me with several speakers in different rooms. You don't have to follow it verbatim, but it is useful sometimes even if you only use the rear-wall-to-speaker dimension or side-wall-to-speaker and then experiment with placement from there. You can at least ameliorate or level out some of the room nodes until you get more familiar with the sound of new speakers, and how you may want to EQ them.

Much much thanks for all the advice, especially the JBL 4367 technical info, graphs etc. What is odd is that I have listened to literally dozens of high end speakers in this room over the last 15 years, many of which also measure accurately, and they do not exhibit the problems I am having. I have not thoroughly read or digested the technical info just posted but I am being forced to consider that some how the 4367's load the room differently than TAD's, Dunlavy's, Wilson's, Revel's, B&W's etc. I am only a wannabe engineer so I have gotten use to being wrong, which is what I am hoping for here. I love everything about these except the bass problems so I will continue to play with positioning or simply try another room. Thanks again........

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Also, I wouldn't start getting too nervous about their sound (especially the low end) until they've had at least a solid week of playing time.

I keep coming back to this thread hoping there will finally be pictures but alas......

DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Sorry to disappoint you Ed. I am out of town for awhile. Imagine 4430's with less butt cheek until I can post them.

In store photos of JBL 4367 walnut with blue or black grille

Hopefully these come out clear. Name:  IMG_1089.jpg
Views: 4084
Size:  83.8 KBName:  IMG_1090.jpg
Views: 3998
Size:  79.3 KBName:  IMG_1091.jpg
Views: 5431
Size:  72.6 KBName:  IMG_1092.jpg
Views: 4056
Size:  62.5 KBName:  IMG_1093.jpg
Views: 3971
Size:  85.3 KB

Screen shots of Audio Control 1/3 octave analyzer show hump centered at 125hz in my listening room.
    I could not improve upon these measurements and maintain a reasonable relationship between the speakers, listening position and walls.

Walnut cabinets are supposed to come shipped with blue grilles only. I received one of each color, black and blue, so I showed how each look on the speaker.

Sorry for the split up photos. I'm trying again.Name:  IMG_1095.jpg
Views: 3428
Size:  72.9 KBName:  IMG_1096.jpg
Views: 3420
Size:  65.3 KBName:  IMG_1097.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  88.8 KBName:  IMG_1098.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  83.7 KBName:  IMG_1099.jpg
Views: 3564
Size:  73.3 KB

More photos

Name:  IMG_1099.jpg
Views: 3493
Size:  73.3 KBName:  IMG_1100.jpg
Views: 3471
Size:  66.7 KBName:  IMG_1101.jpg
Views: 3514
Size:  62.6 KBName:  IMG_1102.jpg
Views: 4116
Size:  67.4 KB

Congratulations on the 4367 speakers. Is this real wood veneer, or wood print? As far as the previous comments go, one was talking about the 4365 which is of course another speaker. The other thing is that running in is needed for the bas resonance frequency to stabilise. Looking at the graphs the ports are tuned to 30Hz (the dip in between the two peaks, although the left peak is not shown). This 30Hz seems low enough for a good low end. But I must say that the peak at 125Hz shown by your analyzer is not what one would expect. I can imagine it not sounding as you'd like.

My experience with having JBL drivers reconed is that they need to move to break-in. As the drivers are much bigger than normal speakers, this means getting the volume quite high. Because before you can see a 15" move, there is some serious bass going on. And 5 minutes is not enough :-) Good luck, hope you get them working properly.

Frank,
    The wood veneer does not look like the American Walnut veneer JBL used on it's speakers from the 70's and into the 80's. It is wood (possibly wood print?) but the veneer is very straight and homogeneous looking and does not have the character of the vintage JBL's. Although the workmanship looks very good otherwise, I'd have to be honest and say this is a small disappointment.

After perusing the JBL technical graphs kindly posted by 4313, I am left thinking that for whatever reasons, the 4367 loads this particular listening room in an uncomplimentary way which causes the 125hz bass hump. The graphs look close to perfect through the area where the peaks are measured, although they also show the roll off at 40hz that I am experiencing. After 20 hours of playing time further significant improvement from break in is doubtful in my experience. I have other rooms to work with fortunately and do not have an aversion to using EQ if it is as transparent as possible.

I have spent a lot of time on the forum focusing on the bass hump in this one room. I don't want this to take away from how phenomenal these speakers are to listen to. I can't wait to hear them everyday when I go to work, and I have Everest DD67000's to listen to at night! Most likely others would not experience the bass hump in their room anyhow.

John,

Thank you so much for the photos. They look awesome to me. Love the looks.

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    Frank,
    The wood veneer does not look like the American Walnut veneer JBL used on it's speakers from the 70's and into the 80's. It is wood (possibly wood print?) but the veneer is very straight and homogeneous looking and does not have the character of the vintage JBL's. Although the workmanship looks very good otherwise, I'd have to be honest and say this is a small disappointment...".
    It looks to me like quarter-sawn walnut. I can appreciate the appeal of the wood grain used in legacy models but this has a quality all its own. I have used quarter-sawn oak many times and much prefer this to radial cut veneer.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    The wood veneer does not look like the American Walnut veneer JBL used on it's speakers from the 70's and into the 80's. It is wood (possibly wood print?) but the veneer is very straight and homogeneous looking and does not have the character of the vintage JBL's. Although the workmanship looks very good otherwise, I'd have to be honest and say this is a small disappointment.
    From your photos they look identical to the wood and finish of the 4365s. It is a "real" wood veneer sort of. It is a sliced and diced manufactured wood veneer. I found it a huge disappointment and a deal breaker for me. If other companies can offer beautiful veneers at much lower price points then Harman needs to step up.

Thank you for taking the time to share your listening impressions and these excellent photos.

Widget

jpw, try rising the speakers so that the woofer duscat sits at a ~72cm height, and see if it solves your bass hump issue.

At an educated guess my hypothesis is the 4367 wss voiced in a sigficantly smaller listening room than you are using.

The upside us that JBL are attempting to ensure a repeatable outcome in a range of defined listening rooms. This means that physical parameters effecting the lower end responsegave been customised with a banana curve.

Thus is contrary to earlier tuning that were on paper like bass box were the system is assumed to have a maximal response then fall lkke a brick.

Your room therefore may therefore be outside the range if parameters used in the voicing.

The room sounds large compared to what might be termed a typical consumer living room however the contemporary trend is for large open plan listening spaces.

You also mention the room is 24x22 ft and irregular?

I am wondering if there are some room modes in play that are grouped is the problem frequencies?

What to do about it?

I dont think breakin will help.

Try a different room and see what happens.

With the scale of room and the directivity of the system it might sound diffused or lost?

Then determine if a graphic eq could offer an brute force improvement.

You could take this off line and trial lowering the tuning frequency or stuffing the ports will some fibre glass.

Just some ideas.

Thread Information