Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 4367 first listen

I called and they don’t have them at the moment.

If the circumstances were more appropriate l’d just go for a trip to Tokyo and do it properly... a whole floor of JBL.

Might do that in May. Anyone interested? Turn up in a Limo like the President of Toyota...Lol

They probably give you a Mr JBL Hat as a vip.

(I saw a pic of someone with a Mr JBL hat at the 66000 launch and made the crack it was Giskard. Unfortunately it that not well received)

Very cheap air fares at the moment .

A great place to empty your bank account

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Is it, Martin ?????

Ivica

Sure things
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

It would be interesting to compare the 9900 to the 4367

Do you mean these?; http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...00-vs-JBL-4367

Quote Originally Posted by Fitero View Post

Most interesting I think is to hear Fitero comparing 4367, K2 etc the M2.
    I got the M2`s (DIY) and is amazed of the snap, how hard hitting bass they have and also how deep they play. For me the search is over Maybe just a second pair with BE-drivers....

//Kalle

Thanks for the link

It’s one of those things you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    I listened to the 4367 at CES along with the new L100 Classic.

I preferred the midrange voicing, soundstage and imaging of the L100 Classic over the 4367. I preferred the effortless bass response of the 4367.

The midrange...voices, sax, piano, guitar...retreated into the box with the 4376, whereas with the L100 Classic it was nicely set in front of the speakers in the room. The high end was actually nicer with the 4367, more detailed and present. The build quality on the L100 Classic is suspect with the front baffle vinyl covering peeling off the left demo speaker. The quadrex grille foam will not fit the original L100 as the new model is significantly larger. Not worth $4,000.00/pair. It's not built in the US with US craftsmen, so you can throw the inflation calculator out the window. The build quality of the 4367 is excellent as it should be for $15,000.00/pair, but the walnut veneer is nowhere close to the old days. It's looks are "non-organic. Same with the L100 Classic. The Logo plate/L-Pad mount on the L100 Classic is also pretty cheesy looking.

Down the hall at ELAC with Andrew Jones, I heard a phenomenal new series named ARGO. A super compact, actively triamped, diminutive system that puts anything to shame Harman currently offers, all for a price of $2,000.00/pair coming mid-year.
    What you hear in shows does not mean shit in the real world. There are so many circumstances on a show that a fantastic system can sound bad. Of the systems I've heard at shows and stores >90% were disappointments, even my previous speaker that I liked at home(KEF R900), sounded terrible the three times I've heard them in the wild. Also, if anything is bad about the 4367 it's the finish and build quality. My grills aren't even straight, both are flush with the waveguide on the right side and then sacks down on the left. The "veneer" looks like something I would expect from a pair of $400 Wharfedales.

After selling my 4367s a couple of months ago, I was given a deal on a pair of Revel Salon 2 that I couldn't pass up, so I gave them a try.

As a friend said, " I can see why so many people like them". However, I think they are just pleasant. Sort of "the Sade of speakers". Maybe it's because I have Tinnitus and moderate hearing loss above 11K hertz, but I'm missing the snap and tonality compared to the 4367's. They don't get my feet tapping.

Anybody want a pair of one month old Revels?
    WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?
    I've heard some people preferring the Salon 2 over the 4367. But with the smaller woofers, lower sensitivity and impedance I'm like: No thanks. I don't care if they are better sounding, I'm never going back to heavy driven speakers with cute tiny woofers .

Your comments on the finish are disappointing.

Will need to see it myself but not real veneer at this price point sucks.

Might need to go the diy route. I can finish enclosures with solid American walnut or oak panels 1.5 inches thick souced locally.

Might need to go the diy route. I can finish enclosures with solid American walnut or oak panels 1.5 inches thick souced locally.
    If build quality and finish matters so much for you, maybe you should look on other speakers. Speakers like the KEF Reference 5 will give you way better finish, a more well built and dead enclosure and more exclusive materials. 4367s cabin is made 100% out of 1" MDF except for the baffle that's made out of 1,5". It's not the stiffest or deadest cabin I've encountered, a knocking test will prove that. Even with those shortcomings I'm 100% satisfied with that I bought them and not any other speaker. Seems like I'm not the only one in Sweden being satisfied as they increased the price with 10% from 2018.....

Tried taking a photo of the grills fitment, I can see it on over 2meters distance from my sofa.
    Name:  1rWYs3X.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  57.7 KB
    Also done some clean up some cables and re-arranged my power cables so just the amplifier and dac are connected to my power filter. Those of you who are sharp eyed can see the Sonic Design damping feets under the speakers. They are VERY common here in Sweden but I think I've never seen them in any other setup from any other country. I can really recommend them for those of you who does not believe in or want to use spikes. They are $30 for a set of 8 here.
    Name:  M6RIXqx.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  43.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bredin View Post
    WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?
    Well....cause I'm a dope for one. I had to experiment though. Sometimes I make a favorable change and other times I screw the pooch and have to pay for my mistakes.

In my view, the Salons aren't better sounding if the basis for judging sound is the realistic reproduction of tonality and dynamics. No instruments sound more realistic on the Revels compared to the 4367 to my ears.

In a recent comparison between the Salon 2 and the M2 about 80% of the people preferred the Revels. I wonder if that also correlates to the percentage of people who prefer traditional speakers over CD, horn speakers?

It’s one of those things you have to do.
    If the Salons sell quickly and my desperation to get the M2's home doesn't overpower me, I would like to unbox them at my buddy's place and compare them to his K2's with both the Mark Levinson amps and his Crown/JBL amps. I think many of us would find the decidedly unscientific comparison interesting.

Harman were going through production changes when I bought my 4367, transferring manufacturing to a new plant. I refused several pair of them until I was sent a perfect pair. Harman really stepped up and showed professionalism during the ordeal.
    I don't like composite veneers, but if at least the workmanship is first rate they are ok looking. I would have preferred real Walnut veneer though.

I don't like composite veneers, but if at least the workmanship is first rate they are ok looking. I would have preferred real Walnut veneer though.
    Ditto!

I’m disappointed that other than the Everest’s and the new retro L100s all of the current JBLs are not as nicely finished as many speakers from other manufacturers. Pretty disappointing.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Bredin View Post
    What you hear in shows does not mean shit in the real world. There are so many circumstances on a show that a fantastic system can sound bad. Of the systems I've heard at shows and stores >90% were disappointments, even my previous speaker that I liked at home(KEF R900), sounded terrible the three times I've heard them in the wild. Also, if anything is bad about the 4367 it's the finish and build quality. My grills aren't even straight, both are flush with the waveguide on the right side and then sacks down on the left. The "veneer" looks like something I would expect from a pair of $400 Wharfedales.
    The listening conditions at the CES in the Venetian Suites are better than most home listening environments. I think i'm pretty qualified to make a distinction of my preference between two different models of JBL speakers. I'm sorry your $15,000 speakers have substandard build quality. That's even unacceptable for a pair of $400 Wharfdales.

The difference between the sound of the M2 complete system and the "consumer" version 4367 is huge...and at a cost difference of about $10K. My gripe is calling a speaker a "Studio Monitor" when it does not actually behave like a studio monitor because it has been tamed for the consumer market. If given the choice to mix down a recording session on these two models, and your objective is accuracy in the critical midrange band of frequencies, the smaller, less expensive tribute L100 would most likely win. To be perfectly honest, both of the models are far overpriced. JBL can no longer afford to rest on the laurels of previous designs by Greg Timbers. They need to honest about the competition they're facing. It's great that they're starting to try and compete again, but you can't do it by marketing alone. The product must live up to the hype.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Ian...take a look and listen. I was going to suggest you consider the DIY route since you have the skills. My feeling is that you'd be disappointed by the cost of the 4367 and would probably end up tuning the crossover to your liking.

It's far more satisfying to create a system that sounds stellar for thousands less, but you already know that.

If having a factory built JBL with logo is an investment choice, I don't know how to advise you on that, other than a negative ROI...or pick them up used from someone else that was disappointed with what they got for the money.

Or...wait and listen to the new ELAC Argo and see what can be had for $2,000. It probably won't do the sheer SPL of the big JBL but if accuracy is any qualifier, you won't find a better value.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Your right..when I can find one to hear.

The problem could end up being cosmetic.

The room has a design focus with timber finishes and the centre piece is a walnut console with real veneer.

I need to have a good look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Ditto!

I’m disappointed that other than the Everest’s and the new retro L100s all of the current JBLs are not as nicely finished as many speakers from other manufacturers. Pretty disappointing.

Widget
    Totally

Thread Information