Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4367 first listen

Okay, now a week have past since I got the gear and I don't have much to say about it other than: I'm having a hard time thinking that something else would sound better. The AHB2 and DAC3 really gives the feel of transparency and truthfulness and I don't think any other combination would be noticeable better in that aspect, the sound is so calm and separated that my brain is having a hard time understanding that it's a pair of speakers making the music. I really understand what that guy meant by saying that the AHB2 "solves the amplifier problem". I'm happy that I went this road instead of buying Bryston.

Thanks for the update.
    I'm very happy for you to have gone this route and gotten such favorable results! They really are great speakers.

Is there anyone who has compared 4367 with 4365 at same room with same gears carefully? what's the big difference?which one is better?
    46 lover

integrated amp for JBL 4367

Hi:Could someone owned or audited both the Mark Levinson 585 / Macintosh MA8000 give advise of which one is better to run the JBL 4367? and Why?
    I am planning to get the 4367, I don't use vinyl, just iPad/imac online streaming. In a 20x16x9 ft room. listening mostly soft rock songs from the 80s, 90s in medium to upper medium volume.

Quote Originally Posted by kfz03110 View Post
    Hi:Could someone owned or audited both the Mark Levinson 585 / Macintosh MA8000 give advise of which one is better to run the JBL 4367? and Why?
    I am planning to get the 4367, I don't use vinyl, just iPad/imac online streaming. In a 20x16x9 ft room. listening mostly soft rock songs from the 80s, 90s in medium to upper medium volume.

I listen to the same sort of music on my 4367’s and power them with Bryston 4BST3, 300wpc., nothing short of amazing.

I’m not a fan of high power intergrated amps.

https://www.whathifi.com/mark-levinson/no585/review

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ated-amplifier

The above might help.

It’s a subjective personal decision. You might ask under the general discussion forum what members find with either brand using jbls?

Integrated Amps ....

I'd certainly consider this - Pass Labs INT 250 : The Thrax-Ares too !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Or this https://www.passlabs.com/amplifier/x350.8

The power amp for a lifetime and partner with a https://www.passlabs.com/preamplifier/xp-22

These amps are recognised for their synergy with JBLs top systems.

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    my modded M553
    Also sorry for posting off-topic, but I would be grateful for any information available about modding the JBL M553 crossover.

I have a stock one and have always suspected that some parts upgrades (perhaps opamps as well as caps and such) might elevate its sound quality considerably.

I can't do the work myself, but have several music-loving engineer friends who can. . .

Any tips or referrals would be appreciated!

If you search in google for mods to that electronic crossover you will find it easier than trying to find posts on the forums.

I would caution about swapping out the chips for modern op amps. Modern opamps have much higher open loop gain. This can cause stability problems ( visible on an oscilloscope) unless the pcb layout, surrounding local power supply bypass, and the power supply are engineered carefully.

another 4367 First listen

Just got my 4367 for 2 weeks. Powering them with Mcintosh MAC7200 integrates 200Wx2 ( 24x16x9 ft room). First impression almost 90% the same as JPW had described: "Muffled sounding and reserved midrange.....Also low stereo image"
    I also find the Bass snappy but reserved too. A little too tight, not deep. I listen mostly mid to low volumes (20%-30% amplification level). The bass don't seems to open up till 40+% amplification level. I am wondering how other 4367 owners feel? And what have you done to "open up" the 4367's over all muffled and reserved sounding?
    Thanks

JBL 4367 images

Name:  24m1A%R+TtCrpjfDY1Ue+A.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  93.1 KBName:  BQ+a23cEQ+ylAhDNdxFgOA.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  80.0 KB
    I also have a pair of JBL 308 (active speakers $400 a pair). I found the 308s have very clear stereo image.

Just got my 4367 for 2 weeks. Powering them with Mcintosh MAC7200 integrates 200Wx2 ( 24x16x9 ft room). First impression almost 90% the same as JPW had described: "Muffled sounding and reserved midrange.....Also low stereo image"
    I also find the Bass snappy but reserved too. A little too tight, not deep. I listen mostly mid to low volumes (20%-30% amplification level). The bass don't seems to open up till 40+% amplification level. I am wondering how other 4367 owners feel? And what have you done to "open up" the 4367's over all muffled and reserved sounding?
    Thanks
    Hi kfz03110,

Owing to the 2216nd technical data, such 3-inch VC driver can be used as very good mid-bass driver, but a kind of bass-helper (2269), I think, would be well-come, or a kid of sub-woofer(s)....
    regards
    ivica

Thanks
    That must be annoying.

Well the first time l put my own system in our new room it was less than satisfactory.9

Your description gives the impression there is possibly a hump in the 100-300 hertz area. That is the muffled effect on everything else.

If the Mac has provision for adjusting tone controls (see trim - tone control. Some modest adjustment of the bass control may help low end extension.
    This is not uncommon according to GT. The 4367 has adequate headroom for 30-35 boost if required.

1. Try raising or lowering and or moving the enclosures out from the front wall in small increments. See my comment about the bass control. What you want is less lower mid emphasis in the 175 hertz region.
    2. Invest in a room correction system or if you have a modern AV receiver hook it up and run the Auto setup for the stereo only speaker setup. If the receiver removes the issue have a look at the before and after correction curves for the frequency response.

If that helps you may wish to consider a digital graphic EQ that can be inserted between your digital sources and the DAC built into in the amp. That way any EQ is in the digital domain.

This is just about identifying the problem area and finding a suitable solution.

A few things to consider.

#1. Speaker break in, especially with woofers, is a real thing. As the suspensions loosen up a bit the bass will become less constipated and have better extension down low.
    I would put at least 50 hours of time on them preferably repeating a track with heavy and varied bottom end frequencies.

#2. Judging from your system photograph, with the speakers that close to the back wall, upper bass WILL be exaggerated. Pull them out from the wall in 3-4 inch increments until the upper
    bass cleans up. The lower octaves will become more apparent with the upper bass reduced. You will probably notice an improvement in soundstage depth as well. Even if you can't
    leave the speakers pulled out from the wall the experiment will confirm the problem is placement not the speakers themselves. Then you can use the EQ on your MAC integrated to come
    closer to the tonal balance you want.

#3. You may want to experiment with a different riser design. An open space under a speaker cabinet can degrade deep bass performance. I used two 2.5" solid pieces of flagstone for my
    riser. Unlike wood, no resonance of any kind, just a solid stable extension of the speaker cabinet to the floor.

#4. I ended up tilting the speakers via longer front spikes to point up slightly at me. This made further improvement in midrange clarity and imaging. You can use any kind of a hard spacer
    under the spike to experiment.

Hope this helps. They are great speakers for the money. I still have mine and will for a long time.

Thread Information