Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Project M2 DIY Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Congrats on the new speakers! Looks awesome. I also would like to thank you for sharing your impression about D2 vs 2450Be. I couldn't decide whether I should put Be into my 2450SL or buy D2. I understand that it is your subjective opinion, but since I also use multiple Aleph J's driving JBL, I'm pretty sure that we share the similar taste.
    Thanks!
    M2 WG, aleph J and 2450sl/be is a sweet sounding combination. But it is no longer a clone witch is probably the goal of many others. Personally I like to venture away from the original concept, and enjoy the challenge of tuning EQ and experimenting to get my own sound.

Are you planning a build?

Quote Originally Posted by johanwholst View Post
    Thanks!
    M2 WG, aleph J and 2450sl/be is a sweet sounding combination. But it is no longer a clone witch is probably the goal of many others. Personally I like to venture away from the original concept, and enjoy the challenge of tuning EQ and experimenting to get my own sound.
    Are you planning a build?
    Welcome!

Currently no plan to build an M2 clone, since I just have finished my DMS-1 project. I love the sound of 2450SL (DMS-1), but my endless greediness keeps asking me if there would be any possible upgrade.

I'm planning another project similar to M2, but it would not be an M2 1:1 clone, because my goal of this project is the same as yours. Today's affordable but excellent digital crossover / measurement technology encourages me to venture my own speaker design, which is based on proven professional monitor speaker design like M2.

Stuffing the cabinet

I'm in the process of stuffing my cabinets with Rockwool with 30kg/m2 density. awful job...

Any comments about recommended thickness? i will cover five sides of the cabinet and leave baffle undamped

I'm in the process of stuffing my cabinets with Rockwool with 30kg/m2 density. awful job...

Any comments about recommended thickness? i will cover five sides of the cabinet and leave baffle undamped
    I used a one inch thickness when I did mine. I was told this was the standard JBL thickness.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I will probably use a modified version of the biased 4367 network should I decide to follow through with the LCR plan.
    Does anyone how close this network is to being a drop in to the M2? I know both use the same D2 and the 2216nd's are somewhat similar, but I don't want to assume it would be a lock because of the differences in 2216's and the waveguide. I went back to read the post Mr Timbers gave on the 4367 and originally missed this statement about passive systems and I got to thinking about building a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    Also keep in mind that the M2 is full active. It has separate amplifiers, electronic and digital crossovers and a lot of EQ bands. All kinds of things large and small can be fixed with that kind of horsepower. The pure passive systems can only have a little shaping and perhaps a few low Q correction filters. In spite of that, there is often a musicality to passive systems that purely electronic ones just can't match.

where to buy M2 horn lenses and adapter

hi
    i will receive a pair of jbl D2430k drivers soon and am looking for a pair of M2 horn lenses and adapters.
    could anybody point me to where i can get them aside from speakerex ?
    any help is appreciated.
    malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by hum4god View Post
    hi
    i will receive a pair of jbl D2430k drivers soon and am looking for a pair of M2 horn lenses and adapters.
    could anybody point me to where i can get them aside from speakerex ?
    any help is appreciated.
    malcolm
    Pro Sound Service maybe?

Finally playing music

At last my "M2" play music. Did not expect the details to take that long... building cabinets was easy, but the rest took forever. Sourced black bolts for woofers and ports, gaskets for WG, and damped with 25mm Rockwool sprayed with hairspray. They smell like an old woman, but I'm getting used to it.
    Ended up cutting the port tubes at 20cm, and the -6dB point with EQ seems to be at 20-25hz in my room. Remains to fine tune but they seem to give me terrific low end response.
    Soundstage and imaging is miles above my former mockup speakers. Probably because of the elevated 2216 and proximity between the WG and 15"
    I could not be more pleased, and looking forward to optimize 2450be in the WG when the weather stops being so nice
    Thanks for the contributions in this thread!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3978
Size:  86.1 KB

Congrats!
    It looks like you managed to reduce C-C distance compared to the original!

Good Job Johan and Congrats on getting them all done!!

Thanks guys!

Took a quick and dirty on axis measurement of 2450SL with Be.
    Smoothing is 1/48. No EQ apart from 56uf cap and a 2 order HP at 500hz

Cant complain about the M2 waveguide...

Name:  2450M2.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  97.4 KB

Listening postition measurement. 1/12 smoothing. Original EQ on 2216nd with a notch at my room mode at 30hz. Self composed and very moderate EQ on 2450

Name:  inroomM2.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  106.0 KB

Thanks guys!

Took a quick and dirty on axis measurement of 2450SL with Be.
    Smoothing is 1/48. No EQ apart from 56uf cap and a 2 order HP at 500hz

Cant complain about the M2 waveguide...

Name:  2450M2.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  97.4 KB
    HI JOHANWHOLST,
    up to 10kHz good, but over 10kHz about +12dB/oct has to be EQed, I believe that AL 2441 woul be better solution, not to mention original JBL 476Be or 476Mg diaphragm, but concerning the price D2430k seems to be economic solution..
    Regards
    Ivica

Yes they need extensive compensation in the HF, but seem to be free of any breakups and sound smooth all the way up after EQ. I have plenty of headroom due to gain structure and final compensation is not much more than with d2430k. I use a lot less EQ below 10k as well.

They paint a huge picture and are very enjoyable to the ears..

Wonder what happens at approx 800hz through... the dip is not correctable.

Dear all,

They indeed look good in Grey, johanwholst. Job well done!

I almost wished I had gone that route as oposed to tame the beast on my own....

Some gasoline on the fire....

Haveing tested the different drivers I still like the 2450SL's with 475Nd diaphragms better than the rest, including my Be's.... At least to my ears. However my HT will be Be's as I already have made the investment...

Keep up the good job and more pictures please.

As a byline, I don't thing the resistor value matter that much in the CC networks. The current needed to energize the cap's is really small and it may take a few more seconds to build voltage but that should not really matter for SQ.

It would be really easy to set up a test on the topic, if of interest. Just connect the desired CC network to a battery and measure the rise time of voltage over the cap's with different resistors. The voltage rise shows that the cap's are charging as desired.

Kind regards
    //RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Thread Information