Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Project M2 DIY Thread

Great Idea! Looking at those I am so glad I playing with 2216's as opposed to those monsters! So is that a 2 man lift?!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    So is that a 2 man lift?!

Rob
    Well, I checked and I manage to lift it out of the cardboard box. It was easier to lift it with the handles than without the handles. It felt more balanced
    Flodstroem

Beautiful work!

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    It was a difficult job to glue the four ports. The glue would not allow me to keep it inside the rim of the curved baffle, it came outside
    no matter what glue I used. But now they are securely glued in place and no glue on the front baffle.
    I also have painted the rear side once again.

Next. ready for the Danish Oil
    Frederick

Hi,

Is this driver the original M2 driver? I'm contemplating buying a finished DIY set due to difficulties getting the driver + waveguide for anywhere near reasonable prices.

Name:  20180313_210154[1948].jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  80.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tommytoa View Post
    Hi,

Is this driver the original M2 driver? I'm contemplating buying a finished DIY set due to difficulties getting the driver + waveguide for anywhere near reasonable prices.
    No its not. This cd is for the VTX-seris what I understand. You could find the original M2 cd driver here:
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product.../jbl-tweeters/

But I dont know what differ the two models between each other?
    Flodstroem

Looks like a legit D2430K driver to me.
    The "M2" version (whatever that implies) exists with both the grey and yellow foilcals.
    What you need to look for here is the "M2 D2430K" paper sticker on the side of the driver.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    No its not. This cd is for the VTX-seris what I understand. You could find the original M2 cd driver here:
    https://reconingspeakers.com/product.../jbl-tweeters/

But I dont know what differ the two models between each other?
    I got very confused by the sticker. I asked one of the designers about it and he said that the M2 driver was just cherry-picked for frequency response from the regular line. As long as you have two transducers that measures the same, it shouldn't be an issue with the normal ones. But measurements might be needed for adjustments of EQ.

Thanks, Pos! I must get this confirmed by the owner. Would anyone know if there's a downside to using plywood for cabinet instead of MDF? Bracing is the same as in the original, but the cabinet lacks lower baffle curve and have square edges on the side.

Would anyone know if there's a downside to using plywood for cabinet instead of MDF? Bracing is the same as in the original, but the cabinet lacks lower baffle curve and have square edges on the side.
    I have built mine using 1" Baltic Birch plywood. I used MDF as bracing. The curved baffle and the angel on the edges are there for one reason: acoustic
    Maybe Pos know more about that?
    Flodstroem

The bottom curve is there to mitigate the effect of the reflection that bounces off of the bottom of the waveguide. I thought it was a diffraction thing, but it isn't. It simply made to create a reflection that mitigates another reflection.

I'm gonna have to reflect on that.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I'm gonna have to reflect on that.

Widget

Question; Being the stupid idiot that I am, I've gone and bought a finished DIY M2 clone without thinking much about the dsp side of things. I have Hypex DLCP, will that suffice? (I also have 2x Psc 2.400D hypex plate amps if somehow needed)
    If I can use it, can I copy some dsp settings somewhere and expect a good result?

I have Audiolense XO on my computer also, but since these will be tv-speakers I'd like it to work nicely just directly from Hypex dlcp if possible.

Question; Being the stupid idiot that I am, I've gone and bought a finished DIY M2 clone without thinking much about the dsp side of things. I have Hypex DLCP, will that suffice? (I also have 2x Psc 2.400D hypex plate amps if somehow needed)
    If I can use it, can I copy some dsp settings somewhere and expect a good result?

I have Audiolense XO on my computer also, but since these will be tv-speakers I'd like it to work nicely just directly from Hypex dlcp if possible.
    I am unfamiliar with the Hypex DLCP. Q quick look at the website indicates that it allows for IIR filtering but no mention of FIR filtering. So my belief is that it maybe is sufficient but there will be work involved. If it had not only FIR filters and sufficient capability, then you could use the FIR filters that have already been sussed out and available here.

The problem with IIR filters is that every DSP is different so the filters you apply on your DSP may not match the response on another even though you put in the same frequencies/Q/level. I've found that shelving filters differ even more so. As such, you'll likely have experimentation to do to see when/if the filters in the DLCP match or closely match a reference set of filters (e.g. FIR filters or, even better, an actual BSS DSP running the M2 configuration). So there is the rub. If you have the capability to do that, you then have the device that will best mate up with the M2 so there is no need for the DLCP.

What you'll likely find, unless you want to experiment for the fun of it (it is a DIY afterall) is to just scrap the DLCP and get a miniDSP and load the M2 FIR filters into it and be done. Once you have the MiniDSP you could then see if you can match the DLCP to it for experimentation.

Im getting close. My wife and I manage to move them in to the house from the garage today
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Flodstroem

Very Nice!

Thread Information