Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Project M2 DIY Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Wow those are sweet! Did you document the build process?

Welcome to Lansing Heritage.
    +1

Thanks for sharing.

Widget

M2!5 Reference Monitor

Thank you ! Yes I made a few pictures of the build, and certainly hope to make more of these. The Waveguide is mounted upside down to get the shortest possible distance to the woofers, the cross over was already quite challenging because of the horizontal offset of the compression driver at almost 7" behind the woofers. The lip on the horn was cut of then spotted with bondo (the Decal Bay too) before the lenses were repainted.
    These are finished in a beautiful Zebra Wood veneer, the stand double acts as the port also, the two 2235 list in about 6 Cu ft tuned at apx 27Hz

Good Listening

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Additional picture

Heres another picture of the insides
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow those are sweet! Did you document the build process?

Welcome to Lansing Heritage.

Barry.

+2

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    This could help with room modes, at least.
    Integrating a helper woofer in the M2 design is pretty straightforward if using an identical volume/tuning (~280L total!):

1. change the LF shelving to -2dB instead of -8dB
    2. increase the Q/slope of that shelving a bit (IIRC in rephase I had to go from 0.6 to just under 1.0 when doing the simulation)
    3. lower gain by 6dB
    4. duplicate these LF settings for the helper woofer
    5. add a 1st order low pass at 95.5Hz for that helper woofer ( 135Hz/sqrt(2) )

Steps 4 and 5 could probably be replaced by a line-level passive 1st order filter in front of the amplifier for the helper woofer, in order to save a DSP channel (unless you are using crown amps with integrated DSPs that is...)
    I've been thinking about the above more recently since I have sold the D2430K's. One of my plans is to build one cabinet and use it as a tv stand. The cabinet would have two separate chambers, one for each woofer, please see the picture below. Porting and internal volume would be the same as the full range clones I build. Would I have problems with the helper woofers being so close to the floor or that they would share the same cabinet wall. A pair of 3 or 4 cubic feet cabinets would be ideal for the space I have. The amp of choice would be something from the Crown DCI series since it will link up perfect with my existing DCI.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  42.4 KB

Here is the current configuration
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3023
Size:  66.8 KB
    Last edited by srm51555; 07-12-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: updated "3" to "3 or 4"

I think it's perfectly viable, so long as you're running them at a fairly low XO. So long as you're 200hz or below, it won't be sensitive to your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    I've been thinking about the above more recently since I have sold the D2430K's. One of my plans is to build one cabinet and use it as a tv stand. The cabinet would have two separate chambers, one for each woofer, please see the picture below. Porting and internal volume would be the same as the full range clones I build. Would I have problems with the helper woofers being so close to the floor or that they would share the same cabinet wall. A pair of 3 cubic feet cabinets would be ideal for the space I have. The amp of choice would be something from the Crown DCI series since it will link up perfect with my existing DCI.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  42.4 KB

Here is the current configuration
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3023
Size:  66.8 KB

Thanks good to hear. I've never run anything with a helper woofer before so this is all new with proper integration and all. I would most likely cross them over at 95.5 as Thomas has recommended but with full DSP anything is possible.

Thanks,
    Scott

95.5? I never could understand why anyone would aim for such a specific frequency. As if 95 or 96 will be audible...most wouldn't hear a difference between 90-100Hz.

It may be that sometimes programs give splits like that and out of habbit we just re-write them.

I have measurement indicators at work that read out to five decimal places and even though I only need record out to four, I have to force myself to not write five.

Maybe it's just me.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by emilime75 View Post
    95.5? I never could understand why anyone would aim for such a specific frequency. As if 95 or 96 will be audible...most wouldn't hear a difference between 90-100Hz.
    Agree but with DSP it's just a keystroke now. Best part is that Thomas has done all of the heavy lifting, all I have to do is gather material and build the cabinets.

It may be that sometimes programs give splits like that and out of habbit we just re-write them.

I have measurement indicators at work that read out to five decimal places and even though I only need record out to four, I have to force myself to not write five.

Maybe it's just me.

Barry.
    It's not just you...when I plan enclosures and deduct things like vents and bracing I do it to the thousands. As if the last .003 cubic feet will make any kind of audible difference . Then I end up rounding to the nearest hundred for the final internal volume.

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Agree but with DSP it's just a keystroke now. Best part is that Thomas has done all of the heavy lifting, all I have to do is gather material and build the cabinets.
    It is, and it was in no way meant as a knock against Thomas.

I just get a kick when I read things like this. Like when someone is building a box and wants to tune the vents to some specific decimal point...28.63, for example.

CNC - LCR JBL M2's

I will be starting my M2 build in the next week or two. I am planning to do a stock M2 LCR and will also be cutting all of my MDF on a CNC machine. The plan is to cut and build the first box and do any necessary fine tuning to the layout before I cut and build the second. By the time I've built the 3rd box everything should fit like a glove. The CNC is a pretty decent size 4ft x 8ft so it shouldn't take too long to have each box cut out. Ill take a few short video clips along the way.

Even the 3 flanges I should be able to save some money and cut on the CNC thanks to @sebackman and his template, I already have some .25" 6020 aluminum plate that I can cut these from.

The only things that I'm missing from the layout are the cutout dimensions for the waveguide and the drill spacing's to mount the waveguide I havn't seen these measurements posted anywhere but I'll be able to plug those dimensions in as soon as my waveguides arrive.

For amplification I hope to be able to load the FIR coefficients into my QSC amps via Q-SYS, exactly how I get the measurements in a compatible format, still T.B.C.

Last thing has anyone managed to get the STL files for the 3D printed ports from Cyrilio. He had that great video of his workshop and the M2's. I sent him a PM requesting the STL files which he said that he would share but have not got an answer back from him yet, I guess I might have better luck reaching out to him by posting on his youtube page.

Nice work!

Did you keep a trackof the hours you put in the build? I imagine you have a total of theparts and materials. How much do you think you saved by not buyingnew from the dealer?

sanpablo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If you really want M2 performance, every detail matters:

Originally Posted by hsosdrum
    Early in the M2's development the portion of the baffle where the 2216nd mounted was flat all the way to the bottom of the baffle panel (the waveguide was always proud of the woofer baffle). After uncovering the response anomalies and determining their cause, Devantier re-designed the woofer baffle with the lower baffle area proud of the woofer mounting area, which eliminated the anomalies. I know this because after seeing the initial prototypes with the flush baffle, Alan showed me a later version with the step. I asked him why he added it, since to my mind the step would cause diffraction, and he explained that the stepped baffle actually eliminated response anomalies in the 500Hz region without causing any audible or measurable diffraction effects. (Which in hindsight makes sense, since the wavelengths at the top of the 2216nd's operating range in the M2 are around a foot long, too large to be affected by the baffle step.)

So if it's a true M2 clone you're after, you need to include this stepped baffle—it's there for performance reasons.

Widget
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/stepped-baffle.htm

JBL M2 clones - LCR

Here are some pictures from my build.

The cabinet parts were cut on my CNC. Although the cabinet construction is not identical to JBL's I tried to get the finished product as close to the originals as possible including internal volume and bracing even the base of the cabinet with rubber feet. The cabinets were painted with Satin Black auto paint to match the original M2's.

Also planning to make some grills when I have time.

Name:  IMG_5486.JPG
Views: 2298
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5487.JPG
Views: 2349
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5494.JPG
Views: 2323
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5479.JPG
Views: 2289
Size:  73.3 KB