Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: D.C. Metro area meet up.

Possibly not your thing since it ain't Apple, but a year and a half ago purchased an HP Notebook 15-DA2027CA, Win 10, has two drives plus optical drive on board (DVD Writer). Pretty fast Intel core i 5 10th gen, 8 GB Ram.

128 GB SSD mostly to run Windows and programs (using 42% of space), and for storage the other is 1 TB SATA. Enough space for a while. No complaints yet...

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Possibly not your thing since it ain't Apple,
    Thanks for the suggestion but, having started with an Apple IIe and purchasing the 3rd Mac sold in my town decades ago, I hope when I finally retire from my job I'll never have to touch another Windows box for the rest of my life! I know, that's short-sighted. It's just the way it is . . .
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

In 1986 I walked into a small computer store on Rockville Pike to buy a computer to use for my business. The sole salesman was busy with another customer so I spent some time poking around on the two computers on display that were powered on. The Apple Mac had a mouse with a button and pictures of file folders and documents on it's greyscale screen. The IBM had a black screen with a blinking green dash on it. Having never before operated a computer more complex than a pocket calculator I nonetheless managed to open some sort of readme document on the Mac and once having done that I figured out how to drop menus down that was about it. I discovered that I could type characters on the IBM but that was about it. When it was my turn with the salesman I said " I'll take the Apple one since the IBM seems to be broken".

Didn't even try again with anything MS based until Win 95 was available as one of the early corporate events my company provided a sound system for was the roll out of Windows One for the federal government also in 1986. The company rep gave a speech and walked everyone thru the operations of the new OS on the big multi image screen and then the assembled government computer geeks were turned loss on the twenty or so workstations throughout the Ontario Theater. Within an hour the audience had largely drifted away as all the computers had locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but, having started with an Apple IIe and purchasing the 3rd Mac sold in my town decades ago, I hope when I finally retire from my job I'll never have to touch another Windows box for the rest of my life! I know, that's short-sighted. It's just the way it is . . .

Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Mojave OS was designed with the expectation that the computer it runs on has an SSD. If you still have a spinning drive it's going to be onerous. Installing an SSD and moving the old internal drive to an external case for file storage will make a 2012 MBP work just as fast at most operations as a 2018 MBP. Or so my 2012 MBP tells me.
    Yep, I swapped my main HDD to a SSD, and installed a Firecuda 510 (500GB) M.2 PCIe ($100) and card on the motherboard. MUCH Faster.
    That and upping to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB graphics card made a huge difference in my ancient 2009 Mac Pro. And maxing it at 32 Gig RAM.

So - I did start with a home-assembled 286-20 and Dos 3.1. When I swapped it for a 386 I added multitasking with DesqView and QEMM and stood up a BBS on it in the late 80s. By mid '96 I was moving from BBSs to ArpaNet. I bought a G4 power Mac around 2000, and moved away from Windows machines about then, except for what I used at work. We also had linux servers at work, so after a while I had my hand in all of the above ... Had a mac Mini for a while, then bought the Quadcore Mac Pro in 2010, and started hacking it around 2016 - first with an expanded processor board, then newer Wifi card, ram, etc. I do have 8 drives tied to it - 4 in an external case - roughly 12TB these days.
    2ch: RPi-4, Oppo, Acurus RL-11, TFM-25, 2pr JBL L212, Heath Valencias,Von Schw VR4
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460,

As part of my hoarding kept the 1990 DOS manual that came with my first computer in 1991, i think it was a 286. That manual has 506 pages! of commands to type along with explanations for each one. Pretty well made. Still pure madness though.

Manual says DR DOS is a Disk Operating System designed to work on micro-computers based on Intel microprocessors 8088, i386, i486 or compatible.

No doubt that folks with an Apple had it easier...

Name:  IMG_2630.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  70.5 KBName:  IMG_2634.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  95.7 KB

Thread Information