Thread: Setting voice coil

Setting voice coil

I am going to recone my 2245's today and looking at the voice coils I see that they are wider than the ones that were in there but it looks like they were reconed with 2240's instead of 2245 so now I am faced with not knowing where to set the VC's that I have now. It looks like I need more experienced help here.........

Anybody?????????

So........non-compliance by my fellow board members and 3 or 4 glasses of Merlot has forced me into a situation I wouldn't want to wish on my worst enemy. I'm doing it myself. I went to a JBL site and looked up how the VC is situated in the 2245. Its overhung. Then I went to another site and found the thickness of the otherside of the magnet gap, then I measured the field of the VC with my trusty reloading calipers and subtracted the thickness from that and set the VC height at the difference and opened up the glue...........where did I put that Merlot?

I saw your thread, but couldn't really understand what you were trying to do. Use a 2240 voicecoil on a 2245 cone?

Glad you got it sorted out.

No, the 2245's I got were reconed in the past with 2240 cones and the VC's are not the same as the 2245 VC's. I cut the old spiders out to use as reference and only noticed it when I started to recone them.

O.K. I now have all the speakers for my 4345's except for the 2421B's. I have a pair spotted and I just have to part with the sheckels, moola, dinero, geedus or what ever you call it then it's on to the cabs. There is a gentleman on the forum building a network for me so I have that covered also. There is a lot more to these than the Altecs that I put together. I dug out my old turntable and will get a new cartridge for it and I am looking at some amps, I got rid of my Adcoms some time ago so I need some new ones.

If you are talking about the depth to set the voice coil in the gap then you measure gap depth by sticking shim down to bottom of gap and mark where it comes out of top of Vc gap. Measure the mark to bottom of shim. Then divide that measurement by two and you have the depth measurement to set voice coil sleeve. Setting half of full gap depth ensures it won't bottom out. Be sure to shim with many cards 2-3 thick as well as all around gap to get coil tight and so it won't move when you glue to spider and cone.

Thread Information