Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown CTs Fan Mod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Crown CTs Fan Mod

Hi all.

I have a stack of Crown CTs1200 and CTs2000 (LCR+subs). So far they have been placed in an equipment room so fan noise has not been an issue. In my new room I must place all equipment in the theater so now the situation is different.

Have any of you tried fan modding these amps? Put in a more silent fan and reduce the RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Hi all.

I have a stack of Crown CTs1200 and CTs2000 (LCR+subs). So far they have been placed in an equipment room so fan noise has not been an issue. In my new room I must place all equipment in the theater so now the situation is different.

Have any of you tried fan modding these amps? Put in a more silent fan and reduce the RPM.
    I have a BGW amp with 2 speed fan. Problem was the fan only worked on HIGH (noisy) speed. Just attached a 120v muffin fan through a rheostat behind factory fan (outside of case) and can now adjust to whisper quiet, but amp stays cool

will yours run OK with the fans off ? some do..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

There's many choices of low noise fans on the market these days.

Just check with mouser or Newark. It might help to do a little google work to. I'm sure someone out there has found a fan that works and is more quite.

Nick

Hi,

Here is a Noctua silent fan in a CTS4200.

Kind regards

//Robert

Name:  IMG_1173.jpg
Views: 6259
Size:  153.6 KBName:  IMG_1167.jpg
Views: 4845
Size:  165.9 KB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Hey Rob
    I will try them out!
    I see there is a three pin connector. One pin is for the controller that I can just ignore? I'm talking about the Uln fan. seems to be their most silent 80mm fan

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. Yes just cut the yellow line, it is for rpm surveillance. I recommend buying the non PWM model (4 leads).

You will have to cut the original connector and solder the leads as the Crown connector is non PC standard

Kind regards.

//RoB

Thermo-Fan To Keep Your Amp Cool

12V fans

Dear Rob!

Thanks for the hint connecting two 12V in series.

I did it today, and it is more silent than silent. I used ULN NFA8. Not much airflow (35m3/h) compared to the papst, but hopefully more than enough for a living room system seldom playing over 80dB.

Johan

Johan, sent you a PM but might as well ask here as others could use the info.

Sounds really nice with the Noctua solution! So let me know if I understand you correctly:
    - Unplug stock fans from "Output 1" and "Output 2"
    - Connect two 12v fans in series to "Output 1" leaving "Output 2" empty.

Have you had any issues with the Noctua ULN and overheating? They move way less air than the stock.

Warning!

I just setup my system with the fan modded Crown CTs2000 driving a subwoofer... I only played low level, but after 5 minutes, the "Thermal" lamps lighted up, and the amp went into fault-mode. I have them placed in a rack.

I replaced the Noctua with the stock amps again, and the amp did not go into thermal mode anymore. But after one hours of low level listening again, it made a huge "bang" and went all read. THe smell of burned metal was noticable instantly. Goodbye amp

So I would NOT advice anyone to do a fan mod on the Crown Class-I amps if they want to keep their amps Maybe it would work if they are free-standing in a ventilated room, but in a rack, it's no-go.

That was not good.

I am really sorry to hear that!

I do not have a CTS2000 or CTS3000 but I do run my CTS1200 pretty (4x 2226) hard and have not had any problem. I use MC2 amps for more power and there I use Papst fans as per above. No problem with them either. A T2000 drives my two sealed SUB1500 and has been for years.

Did you use any Noctua resistors or just the two 12V fans in series? No problem with connectors? Was the rack open in the back? Clean air flow in? Open the lid to see if it is clean inside or full of dust. I had a CTS1200 that came out of a fixed installation and it went into protect with original fans and when opened it was completely filled with dust so there was virtually no air flow. Please see pictures.

Name:  IMG_1487 (Copy).jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  123.1 KBName:  IMG_1490 (Copy).jpg
Views: 2900
Size:  147.3 KB

It sounds like the I-class amps may be different when it comes to protection. I have had CTS600, 1200, 4200 and 8200 go into protection mode from all sorts of stupid things I have done, like shortening outputs, have too many speakers in parallel and not opening the rear of the case for exhaust air). But no one has died on me so far.

Worth noting is that you used the ULN (Ultra Low Noise) version with only 35m3/h and I have used, as per post above, the 1800rpm and 2200rpm versions that flows 53m3/h but more important creates a much higher static pressure to draw air through the chassis.
    http://noctua.at/en/products/fan

It may or may not have helped you and it is sad what happened nevertheless.

Anyway, I concur with the issuing a warning here.

DO NOT CHANGE TO LOW REV FANS ON CTS2000 or CTS3000, UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

IF YOU DO, PLEASE PROCEED AT YOU OWN RISK.

DO NOT USE NOCTUA ULN (Ultra Low Noise) VERSIONS AS THEY PROVIDE TO LOW FLOW AND TOO LITTLE STATIC PREASSURE.

CONSIDER USING PABST FANS WITH HIGHER AIR FLOW AND LOW NOISE.

THE ONLY NOCTUA VERSIONS THAT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED IS THE 1800 OR 2200 RPM VERSIONS WITH HIGHER AIR FLOW AND HIGHER STATIC PREASSURE. CHECK TEMPERATURE AT FULL POWER BEFORE INSTALLING.

NOTE THAT THIS SWAP HAS BEEN DONE ON CTS600, 1200, 4200 WITHOUT PROBLEMS BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT WILL WORK ON CTS2000 AND 3000

TOROUGH CLEANOUT IS MANDATORY ON THESE AMPS IF THERE ARE FROM AN EARLIER INSTALLATION AS THEY CAN FILL UP WITH DUST THAT WILL RESTRICT OR EVEN STOP THE AIRFLOW.

Best regards
    //RoB

Works just fine. Both connectors are the same.

The power supply are not the same on the 120v and 220v units. And they are not easy to modify.
    Kind tegards
    //Rob

Fan replacement

Just swapped out original fans for some that where claimed silent.
    Really no difference...
    I guess a lot of the noise is actually turbulence of the air entering and exiting the case

Sebackman: I could not find any noctua 24v fans?

Hi johnwholst,

In the CTS4200 and CTS8200 and I think the CTS600 (don't remember, can check tomorrow) there are 12V fans. I do not have a CTS2000. Check for Papst brand fan's, they are the best in my view. They should carry 24v fans.

If the airflow is noisy in the back you can also try to cut out the staped mesh in the rear of the amp and mount a round standard computer fan protector on the outside. They won't make any noice. I have done that in a few installation where the square stamped mesh in the back created noise.

Kind regards
    //RoB

Thread Information