Thread: Orange County Speaker

Orange County Speaker

For those who were waiting on a deal for Truextent Diaphragms at Orange County Speakers, I just received a promo code for 15% off your order. Use 15PC1115 when checking out and you will receive 15% off your order.

Nice!
    What drivers are you going to put them in?
    Will you try them with the M2 waveguide?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Nice!
    What drivers are you going to put them in?
    Will you try them with the M2 waveguide?
    I currently have them in pair of 2440 drivers with 2397 DIY Smith Horn. I originally planned on using them with a pair of 2451's when I started the M2 endeavor because I thought the D2430K's speaker exchange had were the pro audio versions instead of the one that goes into the M2. Once funds settle down I'll might pick up a pair of 2451's and build a Yuchi horn for use in a two way config. But that's a big maybe, if the M2's go as planned, I might just dump everything but the M2's and buy a pinball machine. How could anything else really compete.

Had decieving experience with Orange when I ordered replacement diaphragm tweeter for JBL 4401! Sounds like far from real JBL and no indication on diaphragm polarity,,, Just junk IMHO

Sound is peaky, harsh, no finesse. I should have bought a Peerles tweet or something like, with a match with efficiency, xover point, impedance AND linearity!

Morning, All,

I drove to Orange County Speaker, a while back, to buy some connector cables, and JBL-type speaker clamps. Whilst there, I did take note that many of the drivers they offer are NOT JBL, but aftermarket. In their display, the products are clearly marked as JBL, or aftermarket, so, if you are buying from them, you should be able to ask if the product you want is OEM JBL, or aftermarket. I'm sure they will tell you which is which, if you ask. Just a thought...... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. FYI, in their counter display, very few JBL offerings were to be had, and for transducers, there was only one, less expensive offering, if memory serves.
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by maxserg View Post
    Had decieving experience with Orange when I ordered replacement diaphragm tweeter for JBL 4401! Sounds like far from real JBL and no indication on diaphragm polarity,,, Just junk IMHOSound is peaky, harsh, no finesse. I should have bought a Peerles tweet or something like, with a match with efficiency, xover point, impedance AND linearity! ...
    FWIW, mine shipped straight from Materion

I ordered a single BeX4008 from The Speaker Exchange and it was the discounted price without code. Already shipped from Materion and should be here tomorrow. I gave up on Orange County quite awhile ago when they were selling a "Genuine" JBL 2245 but alas it was an aftermarket cone and they just do not sound the same. No more OCS for me!

As Doc said be on the look out.
    Always fun learning more.......

Jimmy H.

Orange County Speaker

Hello,
    This tread got me worried. I had Orange County Speaker recone a pair of 2245's last year. Could someone please verify that these are genuine JBL cones? I specified that I did not want aftermarket when I took them in. At that time they did have the originals in stock and I paid the higher price as you can see from the invoice.
    Thanks for your time,
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks genuine to me

Jimmy H.

Orange County Speaker

That's great news!!! Thank you for taking the time to view the photos and respond to my question. I feel much better now.
    Sincerely,
    James

I have some reconed by Edgewound that look identical.

I'm not familiar with that darker area on the smooth part near the dust cap. That smooth part is earlier than just a year ago unless it's nos. So the darker area makes me a bit leery since I've never seen it before. The more recent cones either have a much narrower smooth area or none at all. AFAIK

There are a couple of different cone manufacturers, there's a thread here someplace. The cones I got done by Edgewound were done a couple of years ago and look identical in both the smooth area around the dust cap as well as the color variations in the smooth area. They are JBL kits, and look identical to the ones posted above.

The cones with no smooth area are not JBL AFAIK.

I didn't know they used more than one manufacturer. I also didn't know that if there's no smooth area, there's no JBL either. Mind you I have no experience with those. I became much more attuned to specifics after being burned by a pair of after market cones.

Thread Information