Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 4345 build

JBL 4345 build

I am getting ready to build the cabs for my speakers and was looking over the plans submitted by Mr. Reissen. At the bottom of the thread he adds that all joints are factory locking miter but I don't see that in the plans the joints are rabbited. I don't have access to a 10in. table saw and if I am off just a small amount those miter joints are not going to fit whereas the other joints will be more forgiving Since I am going to cover with veneer anyway what the heck. Any input on these joints?

These are my tools........Skill77 with a very good blade, good straight edge, clamps, good router, good skills, glue and screws.

I am also looking to build this cab, sometime in the future?? There is a router bit that does the joints you are looking for. Another option is to have a cabinet builder do the joints. I will try and find the make/model # of router. Good luck to you!

There are a bunch of locking miter bits that can be used, it's probably best to pick out the single bit instead of two. (cheaper) All you need to do is change the direction of the cut and you have the miter.

So far today. baffles cut out, sides, tops and bottoms and ends mitered. Not too happy with ply, should have gotten the MDF with the plywood facing it makes better miters but when they are glued and clamped no one will know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    So far today. baffles cut out, sides, tops and bottoms and ends mitered. Not too happy with ply, should have gotten the MDF with the plywood facing it makes better miters but when they are glued and clamped no one will know.
    Don't worry about the plywood. You will sand it before painting. Way much better than MDF. When done, you'll be so happy!
    C

Looking good.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thanks Dave, I had hole saws for everything but the large drivers so I scribed them out with large dividers and used my Bosch Jigsaw with new blades and took my time cutting them out and sanded them, you have to look close to see any difference between that and routing.

Thanks Dave, I had hole saws for everything but the large drivers so I scribed them out with large dividers and used my Bosch Jigsaw with new blades and took my time cutting them out and sanded them, you have to look close to see any difference between that and routing.
    Only you will know!
    C

Got that right and hopefully I won't lose any sleep over it. I did the bases for the cabinets tonight and at the moment am swilling down a flagon of the grape and listening to chicken Shack on Pandora. I'll be real glad to get these puppies assembled and hooked up to a pair of kick butt amps.

Today my router bits came so I routed out the holes for the tubes and rabbeted the sides for the 2123 enclosures and glued the crap out of them. I couldn't find a bit that was the same thickness as the cardboard tube wall so I blue taped up the bearing until it was close and it worked fine. The 2123 enclosures turned out to be somewhat of a bitch, if you don't have as table saw be real careful and check everything BEFORE you glue them up. I have a good saw, blades and straightedges and NOTHING takes the place of a 10in or even better a 12in table saw. Make sure you locate the holes for the drivers before you cut them out it will benefit you greatly. I frustrated the crap out of my self on the 2123 enclosures but my wife made me two tacos and opened a nice bottle of the grape, I have almost recovered. The only hard part left is to route out the baffle on the back side for the enclosures. I am going to build a jig for that.

Today my router bits came so I routed out the holes for the tubes and rabbeted the sides for the 2123 enclosures and glued the crap out of them. I couldn't find a bit that was the same thickness as the cardboard tube wall so I blue taped up the bearing until it was close and it worked fine. The 2123 enclosures turned out to be somewhat of a bitch, if you don't have as table saw be real careful and check everything BEFORE you glue them up. I have a good saw, blades and straightedges and NOTHING takes the place of a 10in or even better a 12in table saw. Make sure you locate the holes for the drivers before you cut them out it will benefit you greatly. I frustrated the crap out of my self on the 2123 enclosures but my wife made me two tacos and opened a nice bottle of the grape, I have almost recovered. The only hard part left is to route out the baffle on the back side for the enclosures. I am going to build a jig for that.
    The key of all of that is patience!

Baffle enclosures glued

Today is the day. I routed out the back of my baffles and routed them for the 2123H enclosures. The jig I made was only about a 1/16 off so I only had to move it a little bit and they fit perfectly, I had to tap them into place with a hammer to seat them. The middle pic shows the jig I made, nothing hi tech but it served it's purpose. I rabbeted the sides of the enclosures with a 5/16 bit.

Knobs

I got these in the mail today, we are moving along nicely

Cabs 95% done, only have to cut the backs, bracing and install batting. I made two mistakes. The driver above the mid is off by 3/8in from center, so is the other speaker. I think I measured wrong (no kidding) and didn't allow for the trim at least they are the same on each one. The bottom bracing is also off, not e4nough reveal in the front and I didn't notice until I set the base on it. It was already glued and screwed and I wasn't about to take it apart 2 days later, I will compensate for that with a 1in.x3/4 Walnut trim.

Looking good!

Tom

Thread Information