Thread: Adcom 5802 or tube

Adcom 5802 or tube

I am in the process of building a pair of clone 4345's and I am going to need a decent amp. I used tube amps at about 70watts per side when I had my Altecs but the size of he tube amp I would like to have now is rather cost prohibitive. Can I get by with about 70/100 watts in tube or my other choice was the Adcom 5802 ay consensus of opinion out there?

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    I am in the process of building a pair of clone 4345's and I am going to need a decent amp. I used tube amps at about 70watts per side when I had my Altecs but the size of he tube amp I would like to have now is rather cost prohibitive. Can I get by with about 70/100 watts in tube or my other choice was the Adcom 5802 ay consensus of opinion out there?
    I have no direct experience with the 5802, tho it gets stellar reviews online. Reading this forum, the tube amp most likely will not be enough, unless it's for the highs in a bi/tri setup.

But do have an Adcom GFA-555 , also credited as a Nelson Pass design. it's been reliable , with lots of power (I have read that it's very conservatively rated) and an Adcom Preamp. From that alone, it's no problem recommending their even higher tier gear.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I've owned a lot of Adcom equipment and have been happy with all of it. Two amps in particular to be careful of are the GFA-565 monoblocks and the GFA-585 stereo amp. The 565s are 300WPC. The 585 is two 565s in one box.

Both are known for a leaking small electrolytic capacitor issue on their input boards that can cause DC to be sent to the speakers. The 565s can be repaired relatively easy and will then last many, many more years (at one time I had six of them and had them all re-capped as preventive maintenance). The 585's input boards are virtually irreparable, or so I've been told by some electronics techs.

So, just in case you decide to look at either of these amps, I would make sure the 565s have been recapped and it might be best to pass on a 585. I've not heard of this small problem in any other Adcom amps. They're really good stuff for the money.

Thread Information