Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cables affecting sound?

cables affecting sound?

Hi friends,

Currently I'm using unbalanced 1/4 TRS cables (unbalanced) for my active crossover(JBL 5234A), preamp( JBL SG520) and power amps(Crown DC300 II, JBL SE408s) for JBL 4343 in biamped mode.
    Specifically, two 1/4 TRS to RCAs (for Xover, and power amp for MF/HF), and one 1/4 TRS to TRS (for power amp LF).
    I understand there are some brands of unbalanced TRS on the market such as HOSA, Mogami, Canare, Kirlin, GLS, etc.
    I'm using HOSA at the moment for its reasonable price and good sound quality.
    Do the TRS cables really affect the quality of sound, according to the brands? If so, how much?
    For example, Mogami is mostly used in studios for its excellent quality, I hear. I'm tempted to buy Mogami TRS at the moment.
    Thanks for your feedback and comment in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Hi friends,

Currently I'm using unbalanced 1/4 TRS cables (unbalanced) for my active crossover(JBL 5234A), preamp( JBL SG520) and power amps(Crown DC300 II, JBL SE408s) for JBL 4343 in biamped mode.
    Specifically, two 1/4 TRS to RCAs (for Xover, and power amp for MF/HF), and one 1/4 TRS to TRS (for power amp LF).
    I understand there are some brands of unbalanced TRS on the market such as HOSA, Mogami, Canare, Kirlin, GLS, etc.
    I'm using HOSA at the moment for its reasonable price and good sound quality.
    Do the TRS cables really affect the quality of sound, according to the brands? If so, how much?
    For example, Mogami is mostly used in studios for its excellent quality, I hear. I'm tempted to buy Mogami TRS at the moment.
    Thanks for your feedback and comment in advance.
    Please delete this post and do not get a "which piece of wire sounds "better"" thread going
    There's a lifetime's worth of opinions, arguments, charts, graphs, anecdotal tales and flames about your question (already) out there
    You could literally read for years on the subject (uh, er waste of time) and still not know any more than what you started with
    You cannot hear with your eyes and you cannot hear what another person hears (or THINKS they do)

Make wire buying decisions based on what your ears tell you (and, your common sense)

You cannot go wrong with Mogami wire if you select the correct cable for the specific application; others will disagree, I'm sure, and that is my point and the reason I ask you to nip this one in the bud

There are about a bazillion opinions on the net about wire, wire whisperers, magic wire, wire that will correct poor buying and matching decisions......................you name it............there's all you want already out there in the wild

Thank you very much,
    Thomas

To answer your question, the name written on a jacket has no effect on sound quality/performance/results, the quality of construction does

That said, certain "names" are synonymous with good construction and quality materials

Mogami and Belden being two of those, there are others

You can't go wrong with any of them, BUT to ask "which is better" is a losing game and a waste of time because ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Please delete this post and do not get a "which piece of wire sounds "better"" thread going
    There's a lifetime's worth of opinions, arguments, charts, graphs, anecdotal tales and flames about your question (already) out there
    You could literally read for years on the subject (uh, er waste of time) and still not know any more than what you started with
    You cannot hear with your eyes and you cannot hear what another person hears (or THINKS they do)

Make wire buying decisions based on what your ears tell you (and, your common sense)

You cannot go wrong with Mogami wire if you select the correct cable for the specific application; others will disagree, I'm sure, and that is my point and the reason I ask you to nip this one in the bud

There are about a bazillion opinions on the net about wire, wire whisperers, magic wire, wire that will correct poor buying and matching decisions......................you name it............there's all you want already out there in the wild

Thank you very much,
    Thomas
    Thanks for your frank opinion. And I know choosing specific brands is very much subjective, depending on one's preference. Still, as someone who has heard about this or that type of brand, known for its quality, I find myself strongly tempted to try out one or two brand cable. Mogami is certainly one such, for example.

Thanks for your frank opinion. And I know choosing specific brands is very much subjective, depending on one's preference. Still, as someone who has heard about this or that type of brand, known for its quality, I find myself strongly tempted to try out one or two brand cable. Mogami is certainly one such, for example.
    So, if you are willing to experiment, why pollute the process with others' subjective input?
    Just do it
    You can determine, objectively what many like by just looking at what is used in pro applications..................
    So, no need to start what I will GUARANTEE YOU will devolve into a flame war, just like that absurd CD thread from a day or so ago
    I can promise you, you will be happy with any wire you purchase made by Mogami, Belden or any of the high quality makers who also service the pro side of the industry
    Redco has the best prices on bulk that I know of, good inventory of models as well
    Here is a good reference tool:
    http://www.mogamicable.com/pdf/Mogami_Tech_cat2014.pdf

It's your money, spend it as you wish.

Personally, I'll never spend more than $10 on a cable and there are those that will say I spend too much. I do like reasonably well constructed cable and nice gold plated ends that don't corrode. Beyond that, I don't believe that cables make a hill of beans of difference but I'm sure I won't convince you or anyone else that wants to buy the snake oil brands. As others said, these types of posts are non productive.

[QUOTE=Wagner;383104]
    ... I can promise you, you will be happy with any wire you purchase made by Mogami, Belden or any of the high quality makers who also service the pro side of the industry.../QUOTE]

Sure, Thanks. I've just ordered Mogami!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    It's your money, spend it as you wish.

Personally, I'll never spend more than $10 on a cable and there are those that will say I spend too much. I do like reasonably well constructed cable and nice gold plated ends that don't corrode. Beyond that, I don't believe that cables make a hill of beans of difference but I'm sure I won't convince you or anyone else that wants to buy the snake oil brands. As others said, these types of posts are non productive.
    I got your point. As a budget buyer, I can't afford any expensive cables, of course. Three sets of quality Mogami cables (TRS/RCA, TRS/TRS) cost around $120, all together. Thanks!

I got your point. As a budget buyer, I can't afford any expensive cables, of course. Three sets of quality Mogami cables (TRS/RCA, TRS/TRS) cost around $120, all together. Thanks!
    Did you go with Redco?
    (yes, I am not affiliated but I am stumping for them: best inventory, best price, best on shipping charges and best on service (with a smile))
    But whoever you ordered your stuff from, you will be pleased. The wire is beautifully made

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Did you go with Redco?
    (yes, I am not affiliated but I am stumping for them: best inventory, best price, best on shipping charges and best on service (with a smile))
    But whoever you ordered your stuff from, you will be pleased. The wire is beautifully made
    Thanks for your info on Redco. Actually I ordered them from Pro Audio LA because I could find my cables more easily.

In answer to the original question, in my opinion the cables are the very last item I look at after EVERYTHING else has been taken care of.

FWIW: I also like Mogami along with a number of other brands.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    In answer to the original question, in my opinion the cables are the very last item I look at after EVERYTHING else has been taken care of.

Widget
    Can I agree with that?
    12 gauge minimum! Period! As he says!

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    Can I agree with that?
    12 gauge minimum! Period! As he says!
    Hum...... Mine is 16 awg for both LF and MF/HF, with cables 5ft each long from speakers to amps with 8 ohm load.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget
    Re Mogami, I see some different model # for the the same type of cable. For example, one set of RCA to 1/4 TRS I've ordered is Mogami 2549, and the other set is Mogami 2964. Any difference between the two Mogamis in sound quality or purpose-wise? I see the following descriptions:

*Mogami 2549 Neglex Balanced Cable
    Mogami 2964 75 Ohm S/PDIF Coaxial Cable

At audio frequencies, the differences will be minimal, but yes, they are purpose built for different tasks.

Thread Information