Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    All I ever see is you berating and belittling the fine folks of this forum and you pounding your chest.
    not completely. there is occasionally some wheat mixed in with the chaff. TW is a smart guy and does have good info/perspective to share ... tho could dial back the chaff some ?

we all go through grumpy times , everything cycles ....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    not completely. there is occasionally some wheat mixed in with the chaff. TW is a smart guy and does have good info/perspective to share ... tho could dial back the chaff some ?

we all go through grumpy times , everything cycles ....
    I don't see what's chaff here friend
    Every post I've made here in this one has been an attempt to get some of these guys to just give up on trying to speak for the whole world and everybody in it, on a subject like "what's better"
    Talk about "bias", and yes, it's escalated; group think and herd mentality is (or is THAT what "racist" means?)

And somehow, I'm the dick? I have stated clearly I own both, enjoy both and own good and bad with both.............yet the smart ass knocks on vinyl continue based on nothing...........it's a disservice to the current state of the format and it's condescending ignorance at best

Happens every time this subject comes up, every time

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Not quite. Any of your posts that are quoted will still show up.

Ron White, on being arrested for public intoxication:

"I had the right to remain silent - but I didn't have the ability"

Food for thought?
    So anyone who does not agree with you or go along to get along needs to "remain silent"?
    Or, anyone who disagrees with the herd/pile on/hurt feelings crowd must be intoxicated?

Author's name is in BOLD print, right at the top of all quotes
    When you see MINE, DON'T READ IT

Someone must love me if I'm quoted so often that that's a problem

As for "food for thought"; try taking your own advice and not fan the flames jumping in with facetious wisdom and smart remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post

Ron White, on being arrested for public intoxication:

"I had the right to remain silent - but I didn't have the ability"

Food for thought?
    HAHAHAHA! That's just one of the reasons I love you man!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    References to some lost Aboriginal tribe or both derogatory and racist.

The fact is he used the indifference to make a point tells me this Th I s poster does not belong here.
    So he should have use wording more like "a white man standing on the top of Ayres rock"? Pretty sure the phrase was used in reference to people out the back of nowhere may or may not have heard something. In no way was it racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    So he should have use wording more like "a white man standing on the top of Ayres rock"? Pretty sure the phrase was used in reference to people out the back of nowhere may or may not have heard something. In no way was it racist.

Thank you, again

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    You click on my name "Wagner" click "profile" in the little bubble, my page will come up, you look at the left side of the page and you will see "ignore this member"
    Click on that
    It will ask you, "are you sure"? Tell them "yes"
    After that, you will never see another word written by me again
    You're problem will be solved
    I've used it quite a few times, extremely effective
    I'll have to add condescending.

FWIW, you're not a dick, you seem more of a prick I'd say.

Good day sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Your anecdote proves nothing, absolutely nothing.
    The article that is the subject of this thread contains quotes from some of the best mastering engineers in the business about how disappointed they have been when listening to vinyl pressings of records they had mastered. I related an experience I had comparing a master recording with its vinyl pressing that mirrors the experience and opinion of the engineers quoted in the article. If nothing else, my anecdote proves that the experiences the engineers related in the article are not unique to them, and can be shared by anyone with access to a master recording, its vinyl copy and a top-flight playback system. I'm curious as to how many members of this forum have ever had such an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    If there were a lost aboriginal tribe, who would know?
    The last lost aboriginal tribe were the Tasmanian's ​the last one, a woman died back in the 1920's.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    The article that is the subject of this thread contains quotes from some of the best mastering engineers in the business about how disappointed they have been when listening to vinyl pressings of records they had mastered. I related an experience I had comparing a master recording with its vinyl pressing that mirrors the experience and opinion of the engineers quoted in the article. If nothing else, my anecdote proves that the experiences the engineers related in the article are not unique to them, and can be shared by anyone with access to a master recording, its vinyl copy and a top-flight playback system. I'm curious as to how many members of this forum have ever had such an opportunity.
    I wish!

I, for one, appreciated your anecdote and would love to audition some master tapes pre and post vinyl to make my own comparison.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    I wish!

I, for one, appreciated your anecdote and would love to audition some master tapes pre and post vinyl to make my own comparison.
    It would certainly be a fun learning experience for me.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    The last lost aboriginal tribe were the Tasmanian's ​the last one, a woman died back in the 1920's.
    When I used the term aboriginal I was referring to small groups of indigenous folks hidden away from the "world" in the jungles, forests and mountains of the planet, not just the "Aboriginals proper" of Australia.
    There's still some folks out there "we" don't know about. And I doubt very seriously that they are aware of the CD versus Lp debate, much less "Perfect Sound Forever".
    Planet Earth is still a big place.

This was my only point, it's ALL subjective; look at the date(s) spread on these articles, A LOT of people have been unhappy with CDs for a long time now and for a variety of reasons, the Vinyl Renaissance is NOT simply the product of hipsters with a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" in their back pockets or a bunch of baby boomers denying reality as they try to cling to their youths. (I mean hows that for a slight? Really?!)

What narrow minded arrogance, a classic "I'm right and you're wrong" scenario. That's not what the love of music and the audio equipment that delivers it up to us is supposed to be all about. Just difficult to believe the polarization this topic STILL induces, and the ugly talk.
    Unbelievable; it'd be nice if folks were as passionate and could get as worked up over things that actually mattered:
    http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinyl.html
    http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinyl45.html

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    It matters not one whit if the (Lp) pressing up for consideration/comparison is shit, not one whit.........or the cartridge, or the phono stage or or or.........the only weakness with Lps that gives me cause for concern (and at times, disappointment) is that whoever is manning the lathe will always be in a position to interject their own effects on the finished product. Then there's the metal parts, the quality of vinyl, the press operator etc etc etc and so it goes
    I also noticed in that story not one detail (glaring absence) was provided as to the provenance of the Lp they used for the comparison; not very "scientific" wouldn't you agree?
    Lps, although mass produced, are at the end of the day, truly "hand made" objects, not unlike violins or guitars.
    And if someone were to proclaim, "I prefer CDs because they are more consistent, a little more predictable (in certain areas)", I'd have to say "well good, I'm glad that's working out for you and that you're happy with it". I wouldn't beat them over the head with a differing take on things. It's like a box of Cuban cigars (Lps), no matter how excellent the pedigree, some of them aren't going to draw properly. But exactly the same analogy can be applied honestly to CDs.
    Digital DOES NOT inherently mean: correct, accurate, well done, reliable, perfect or any of the other attributes marketing has successfully attached to it in the consumers' mind, for a plethora of goods, not just CDs, rather the POTENTIAL with some goods COULD be had .....................so now we're back full circle. You cannot "tell" someone what's "BETTER SOUNDING" if what's "better" isn't what they like! And anyone with ears and a decent sized CD colection knows that's the truth.

There's plenty of jokers who THINK they can cut a disc but few that actually know how to do it.
    Back in the day of Wilma Cozart Fine, Robert Fine and folks like Rudy Van Gelder, music lovers understood this.
    The same applies for digital (CDs); there's plenty of ways to screw those up too.
    Don't know why that is such a difficult reality for so many folks to accept; just because a recording was made or finalized in the digital domain is not an inherent guarantee of it's "superiority", nor is it a guaranty that it will be inferior or suffer in some way.
    But that's what SONY and Philips pitched, right?
    No matter what the writer for "City Pages" or Bob Ludwig has to say about the matter.

Signal to noise ratio to low. Closing this thread.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Thread Information