Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baskets or Horns

Baskets or Horns

I don't have any decent audio equipment anymore because I needed some moola but things are different now and I am out looking in my garage and found pair of Model 19 horns and a pair of E110-8 baskets in excellent condition. I don't know what I got the baskets for, time has erased their meaning, maybe a 4XXX project, anyway I'm looking for project what could I use the baskets for? I am open to about anything within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    I don't have any decent audio equipment anymore because I needed some moola but things are different now and I am out looking in my garage and found pair of Model 19 horns and a pair of E110-8 baskets in excellent condition. I don't know what I got the baskets for, time has erased their meaning, maybe a 4XXX project, anyway I'm looking for project what could I use the baskets for? I am open to about anything within reason.
    Just the horns, or the whole Model 19s?

I just have the horns.

E110-8 great for guitar
    From the spec sheet might make a red hot mid range driver for a very large format system..............but this is above my pay grade, what to use them for project wise other than as a musical instrument/vocals speaker

Any guitar players/singers in the family?

Re-cone them as 2123's for a killer large format midrange driver.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Re-cone them as 2123's for a killer large format midrange driver.

Barry.
    No luck on guitar, I play Piano, some Bass and Harps but I like the idea of the 2123's, are those cones available and from where?

JBL has 21 8Ω kits (C8R2123) and 79Ω kits. Do you know a JBL reconer in your area?

No, I will check around, I live in Springfield, Oregon. I assume I can take them over there and have them order everything.

No, I will check around, I live in Springfield, Oregon. I assume I can take them over there and have them order everything.
    I'd think about that; re-coning them if they're originals
    That driver doesn't appear to be one that's currently realizing crazy money but I am certain you could sell them for a right fair amount if they are nice.................then invest that coin in something you can pair up with your horns maybe.

Those JBLs would also make a good vocals speaker/general use musical instrument speaker for just about anything but bass

When you say harp, is that harp as in the "Tales of Hoffman" or harmonica?

Those drivers would work well for spoken word type use, like in a Church PA I would think

Blues Harmonica,

I think I would rather use them for a 4 way speaker build. I di a set of Model 19 clones and a pair of 511B /902 and 515B's but never had the big JBL's except for a pair of L300's My listening pair are L100's now.

If I read post one correctly the E110's are just baskets. E series cone kits are a thing of the past for JBL. All the E conekit numbers have bounced back as "not a good number" all year. The only kit number that still comes up for that basket is the 2123.

Might as well make them something useful while you still can.

Barry.

And if all else fails, I know a guy with a few dozen E110s

If I had mu druthers the original 2123 is what I would like but I believe those are unobtanium so I think the recons would be my best bet, as close as I can get anyway and at my age my hearing is not what it used to be so I probably would not tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    If I read post one correctly the E110's are just baskets. E series cone kits are a thing of the past for JBL. All the E conekit numbers have bounced back as "not a good number" all year. The only kit number that still comes up for that basket is the 2123.

Might as well make them something useful while you still can.

Barry.
    I've always had the impression that the "-8" part meant it was a complete 8 ohm traducer, same implication if it were a "-16"?
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/dis.../e110-8-16.pdf
    I thought maybe you were just using the term to mean a cone type dynamic driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    And if all else fails, I know a guy with a few dozen E110s
    That story will never die! Your the man Jeff.

If you recone an E110 to a 2123 other than the foilcal or inkstamp it is 100% a 2123. The basket and motor assembly is in everyway identical and it my 10" mid of choice.

Still, the inverted domes on the 2121's are just the coolest thing ever.

Barry.

Thread Information