Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Array 1500 sub repairs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Array 1500 sub repairs

Need suggestions for a repair shop west of the Mississippi that is competent to deal with an Array 1500. One of mine is dead, looks a bit like a PSU failure. No visible physical damage to any of the internals. I'm sure the shipping will be double what the repair costs.

Is it possible to just strip out the amp and send that instead? I'm sure it's easy enough for you to test the 15 incher is working?

That is great news indeed.

I would like to ask them to repair mine. May I have their contact info please?

Thank you.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

^^^
    P.M. sent

The sub woofer amp in my old 212"s died. I had them repaired it was the power supply capacitors that blew.

Thinking back now I should have replaced them with higher rated capacity capacitors. This gives the woofer greater reserves of power. Basically increases the amps power on peaks. Capacitors of the same capacity are much smaller now than the older units making it feasible to swap for higher rated components.

Got my second 1500 back in just 2 weeks, it had the same problem: blown caps on the PSU.
    Now I have a spare!!

Edit: Just realized I can attach the 1500 SM here, so here it it

1500Array sm.pdf

Is there any indication of who made it? You would sure think it would be a Crown product.

I always wondered anyway.

Barry.

Based on past experience with sub repairs, most shops insist on getting the entire machine for testing. Besides, the amp's transformer is hidden in the driver section and you can't really get the wires loose.

I suppose last resort would be a new plate amp, but my hunch is that this doesn't need much to get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Based on past experience with sub repairs, most shops insist on getting the entire machine for testing. Besides, the amp's transformer is hidden in the driver section and you can't really get the wires loose.

I suppose last resort would be a new plate amp, but my hunch is that this doesn't need much to get it going.
    Ahh well good luck with it. Hopefully it's something simple.

Well now 2 of my 3 1500 are dead. So I guess I need to get serious about finding a repair option. Both seem to have failed in the power supply. The good news is that the remaining unit is easily taking up the slack at roughly 50% output.
    "Listen Up" from the Denver area has recently bought out a local shop and I'll probably try them.

Both of mine are dead as well. Within two weeks of each other. One a power supply the other the amp module. I made one out of the two and it ran for another month and ate it. Crappy cap failure.

The whole amp is not available but the amp module and power supply are so I guess it’s time I pony up too.

Right now mine are running off a spare Crown K2 and DSP. Not an elegant solution.

I am interested in how you get along. I have about had it with “repair shops”.

Barry.

Well I absolutely refuse to ship them. But I figure that the local ham-handed repair guy won't be able to do much harm, and it'll cost less than shipping alone would.

Agreed. The place in LA will take just the amps if your local shop doesn’t work out.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Agreed. The place in LA will take just the amps if your local shop doesn’t work out.

Barry.
    But how do you deal with the separate transformer and the lack of any post-repair testing?

only a little OT

I picked up one of the cheaper JBL subs with confidence as it said
    "Made in Canada" on the lable. Got it home and it smoked, of course.

Saved the driver, but busted up the sub, when the amp emerged from the rubble,
    I took a look at it "Made in Ch1na" , of course.

OBTW ..my JBL UltraBass 212 seems to eat amps (even restored ones)
    (motorboat sounds in the night is a giveaway )
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information