Thread: Sony Esprit TA-D900

Sony Esprit TA-D900

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had experience with this unit before?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SONY-TA-D...wAAOSwT5tWM8JH

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-D900.html

I am considering getting one for my 4343b's (not the actual one in auction the link). Initially for biamping and eventually for a fully active system.

Some considerations I'd like feedback on:

- Slope is 24 db
    - Crossover points available compared to what is spec'd for the 4343b (in brackets)
    280Hz(vs 300Hz)
    1.25khz(vs 1.25khz)
    10Khz (vs 9.5Khz)

Do we think the differences in crossover points for the Low and UHF would be an issue? Do we think being locked into the 24db slope could be an issue?

I've now tried three different crossovers:

JBL M553 (i think) - It was an old unit and was probably the worst of the three tried.
    Behringer Super Pro X - better than the JBL
    Ashly XR2001 - The best of the bunch for sure. Lesson: X overs make a big difference, so I'm interested in what difference a really high end Xover may provide.

Other units under consideration:
    Accuphase f-25 (again fixed crossover points, but can choose slope, 4 way possible)
    First Watt B1 (2way, would need to cascade for 4 way, but can choose any xover point, not sure about slope)
    Marchand (custom slopes and x over points can be chosen)
    any other recommendations welcome.

Thanks for any feedback.

The Esprit gear was ToTL in it's day but that unit is getting on the old side now.
    I think in light of the coming of age of DSP management that you might be better to look at a digital solution.
    Just the sheer flexibility and accurate control of slopes, EQ and all the other parameters plus the option of room PEQ.
    The DBX 260 will do what you need and is known to be good sounding and reliable. BSS , XTA and so on will all get you running in a way that no fixed slope analog unit will.

Of course YMMV.

Hi mac, thanks for the reply. Yeah I have wondered whether this is the better approach, and I tend to agree. I guess the only thing holding me back is a desire to stay analog, but I guess that one could be argued till the cows come home. Another friend was recommending the dbx drive rack too. I'd be interested in trying it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    The Esprit gear was ToTL in it's day but that unit is getting on the old side now.
    I think in light of the coming of age of DSP management that you might be better to look at a digital solution.
    Just the sheer flexibility and accurate control of slopes, EQ and all the other parameters plus the option of room PEQ.
    The DBX 260 will do what you need and is known to be good sounding and reliable. BSS , XTA and so on will all get you running in a way that no fixed slope analog unit will.

Of course YMMV.

I don't know anything about the Esprit, but I would highly recommend you look at Marchand stuff. With the premium IC upgrade, the audio quality is excellent.

In spite of being a big fan of modern Bryston power amps (I own four), I had a very bad experience with their crossover. Nicely built, but it just didn't sound nearly as good as their amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I don't know anything about the Esprit, but I would highly recommend you look at Marchand stuff. With the premium IC upgrade, the audio quality is excellent.

In spite of being a big fan of modern Bryston power amps (I own four), I had a very bad experience with their crossover. Nicely built, but it just didn't sound nearly as good as their amps.

I would second that. I had an Ashley crossover and the Marchand was a huge leap up in quality.

Dave

Have a look at the First Watt B4 on Renohifi.

Thanks David, good to hear some first hand experience of a step up from the Ashly, motivates me to keep going to the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post
    I would second that. I had an Ashley crossover and the Marchand was a huge leap up in quality.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Have a look at the First Watt B4 on Renohifi.
    Thanks Ian, yeah I was looking at it with interest before. I might give this a go. will let you know how it goes if I do

First watt b4

A kind person just loaned me a First Watt b4 to try out. It is very nice. I'll start another thread to discuss.

Thread Information