Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4367 ? .....

Bump,

Anyone have their pair of JBL 4367's yet?

Nope, but I've inquired about the 2216Nd-1 if that counts
    (nothing yet)

No word on the shipping date for mine yet.......

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    (nothing yet)

Yes. That counts. Definitely.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I too have a pair of 4367 on order. My dealer said he will receive them no later then first week of December. They will replace my L166 Horizons of which I am the original owner. I will be driving them with a Mcintosh MC302 amp and C50 preamp. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    McIntosh is a perfect match for 4367. Power rating is perfect as well. Connect it to the 4 ohm tap and run in single wire and be happy! It is allready bi-wired inside the speaker
    I have a McIntosh MC302 and it is my understanding from the manual to tap in to the next higher ohm that is closest your speaker so the 4367 should be connected to the 8 ohm tap. The amp is a beast to move so I would like to get it right the first time. I welcome opinions. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    (nothing yet)
    Sure it counts

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    No word on the shipping date for mine yet.......
    Looking forward to reading more about them. The JBL 4367 and Revel Salon2 are on my short list. I know, different speakers, but I already love the Salon2's and dying to hear the 4367's.

Quote Originally Posted by max432 View Post
    I too have a pair of 4367 on order. My dealer said he will receive them no later then first week of December. They will replace my L166 Horizons of which I am the original owner. I will be driving them with a Mcintosh MC302 amp and C50 preamp. Can't wait!
    Awesome. Congratulations. Please keep us posted.

I have a McIntosh MC302 and it is my understanding from the manual to tap in to the next higher ohm that is closest your speaker so the 4367 should be connected to the 8 ohm tap. The amp is a beast to move so I would like to get it right the first time. I welcome opinions. Thanks!
    Having owned specialty audio stores most of my life in Iowa, I have had extensive experience with many brands of amps that use output transformers. In general I have found that if you are on too high of a tap (8 ohm tap with a true 4 ohm speaker) the bass will be thin and somewhat under damped and the overall balance can lean unnaturally bright. Conversely if you are on too low of a tap the bass will be muddy, dynamics will suffer, and the treble will sound closed down. When the measured impedance of the speaker isn't clearly 8 ohm or 4 ohm I agree with the next higher ohm tap choice. I will be using MC-601's and a C-48 for starters when my 4367's come in.

joeinid,

We sell the Revel Salon's so I will be able to do this comparison. Like you I can't imagine they are much alike. The Salon drinks amplifier power. I have had the power guard anti-clipping circuit actuate on a McIntosh MC-452 (a very conservative 450 wpc) at levels that are only what I would call moderately loud. Still I love this speaker for it's clarity, neutrality and especially it's linearity through three octaves of bass into the lower midrange. The vast majority of speakers foul this area up. Also very little metallic sound despite metal domes. It still compares very favorably to the latest efforts from B&W, Magico, ProAc in the same price range even though the Salon 2 is well over 5 years old.

Having owned specialty audio stores most of my life in Iowa, I have had extensive experience with many brands of amps that use output transformers. In general I have found that if you are on too high of a tap (8 ohm tap with a true 4 ohm speaker) the bass will be thin and somewhat under damped and the overall balance can lean unnaturally bright. Conversely if you are on too low of a tap the bass will be muddy, dynamics will suffer, and the treble will sound closed down. When the measured impedance of the speaker isn't clearly 8 ohm or 4 ohm I agree with the next higher ohm tap choice. I will be using MC-601's and a C-48 for starters when my 4367's come in.
    Thank you for the response. Just to clarify, you are in agreement that I should connect the 4367 to the 8 ohm tap. Thanks.

Hi John,

Thank you so much. I love the Salon2's and know they are very power hungry. I love McIntosh on the right speakers and I am not sure the Salons are right for McIntosh. I have not heard that pairing enough.

I totally agree with your assessment and would take the Salon2's in a heartbeat over most of the speakers out there today.

I finally had to give up on my TAD CR-1's. I know many still aspire to own them and many love them, but I could not take the tweeter long term. For me and my taste, it was just too forward. At low volume where I do most of my listening, they were stunning. Crank up the power a little and the tweeter was too sharp for my taste. Others will disagree, but I could not find an amp/preamp combo for the TAD CR-1's that could make me love them long term.

I am anxious to read your findings on the 4367's (as well as everyone's opinion) and sincerely appreciate your participation here. I am sure the 4367's will be easier to drive than the Salons and make the most of some of my lower powered tube amps.

I so wanted the JBL M2's but never made the effort to hear them because of the needed setup, dealer involvement and necessity to use the Crown or Levinson amps unless I use the other crossover option (the name escapes me right now).

As long as the tweeter is not forward like my previous TADs, I think the 4367's could be my next pair of speakers in addition to my Strads.

Thank you to all who post their opinions on the 4367's..

joeinid,

We sell the Revel Salon's so I will be able to do this comparison. Like you I can't imagine they are much alike. The Salon drinks amplifier power. I have had the power guard anti-clipping circuit actuate on a McIntosh MC-452 (a very conservative 450 wpc) at levels that are only what I would call moderately loud. Still I love this speaker for it's clarity, neutrality and especially it's linearity through three octaves of bass into the lower midrange. The vast majority of speakers foul this area up. Also very little metallic sound despite metal domes. It still compares very favorably to the latest efforts from B&W, Magico, ProAc in the same price range even though the Salon 2 is well over 5 years old.

Can't wait! Thank you.

Joe,

I agree the TAD CR-1 could be perceived as balanced a touch forward in the treble, not a peak at one frequency, but over a wide range. During speaker seminars years ago at my store with Andrew Jones, I found out possibly why. Unlike most audiophiles, he does not choose to set the toe in on the speaker to have the sound from both speakers intersect at or slightly behind the listeners head. He sets them with even more toe in so that they intersect well in front of the listeners head. With this arrangement it means that your ear is likely less on axis with the tweeter/midrange and so the output is attenuated over this region slightly. Presumably this would have been taken into consideration when he designed and voiced the system which would account for a more forward sound on axis. Also I found they worked best in a well damped, less live room.

MAC amps sound very good on the TAD's which have a pretty linear well controlled bottom end. Tons of damping factor not needed.
    MAC amps generally have a slightly more tube-like softer top end too. Likely the output transformers.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I agree on the setup and even with the tweaking, I could not shake the feeling that my perceived forward tweeter was mildly irritating at best.

My current speakers, SF Strads are just wonderful to my ear and while I don't need anything else, having another flavor is always fun and the 4367's could be the ones.

Joe,

I agree the TAD CR-1 could be perceived as balanced a touch forward in the treble, not a peak at one frequency, but over a wide range. During speaker seminars years ago at my store with Andrew Jones, I found out possibly why. Unlike most audiophiles, he does not choose to set the toe in on the speaker to have the sound from both speakers intersect at or slightly behind the listeners head. He sets them with even more toe in so that they intersect well in front of the listeners head. With this arrangement it means that your ear is likely less on axis with the tweeter/midrange and so the output is attenuated over this region slightly. Presumably this would have been taken into consideration when he designed and voiced the system which would account for a more forward sound on axis. Also I found they worked best in a well damped, less live room.

MAC amps sound very good on the TAD's which have a pretty linear well controlled bottom end. Tons of damping factor not needed.
    MAC amps generally have a slightly more tube-like softer top end too. Likely the output transformers.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

According to manual of MC302 on page 8-11 or "General Information" Note 3 page 3. Particular this info is good to know.

If you have an Impedance, in this case 6 ohms, it say's "If the Loudspeaker’s impedance is in-between the available connections, use the nearest lower impedance connection".

I would connect it at the 4 ohms tap. It will be more balanced between bass and horn.

I know, I had MC252 and the 4 ohm tap sounded best driving any JBL I owned at 6 ohms nominal impedance.

Thread Information