Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next question on my L300-like enclosures and crossover networks

Well, so much for not having to make new baffle boards...

I was so glad I didn't have to make new baffle boards for my 2235Hs since they port the same as the originally intended LE15As. Guess what! The hole diameter for the 2235H is smaller than the hole for the LE15A. The holes were just too big for the newly acquired 2235Hs. So that's what I've been up to the last few days.

But the good news is they are actually starting to kind of look like L300s. I'm now in the process of making the front baffles nice and smooth to accommodate some nice semi-flat black paint. Still a long way to go.

TomName:  IMG_0284.jpg
Views: 2527
Size:  85.7 KBName:  IMG_0282.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  110.5 KBName:  IMG_0283.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  58.8 KB

Gday tom,

Well, all done - and a very pleasing result. I've posted some comments in the thread I started on the crossovers here;

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ossover-please

Thanks
    pauly

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Please let me know how this works out.

Thanks for the review on the Pass crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    Gday tom,

Well, all done - and a very pleasing result. I've posted some comments in the thread I started on the crossovers here;

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ossover-please

Thanks
    pauly
    Thanks Pauly. I'm leaning in the same direction for my L300-like system. At least to start with. I can always go with the bi-amp type stuff later.

I'm asking for input as to the best place(s) to buy the components for building these crossovers please. I see that Parts Express seems to be mentioned often in this forum. Also, looking for ideas as to what to use (and where to get them) for input connectors on the back panels of my enclosures. Thanks all.

Tom

Looking really good! As for where to get parts, I've had very good results with Parts Express. For the rear terminal panel, I usually use 1/4" black acrylic sheet or black painted tempered Masonite.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Looking really good! As for where to get parts, I've had very good results with Parts Express. For the rear terminal panel, I usually use 1/4" black acrylic sheet or black painted tempered Masonite.

Widget
    Thank you. Do you or anyone know the details of the binding posts on the L300? I've never seen a L300 up close to know those details. Best I have figured so for is that the originals were made by Cardas. But what model (or other make equivalent) I don't know. How do they connect to the amp? Are those RCA jacks, spring clamping, screw on, etc.? Thanks.

Tom

JBL's original terminals were poorly designed spring clamps. I'd suggest you use good quality "five-way" binding posts. You can buy name brand posts if you like, I wouldn't spend the money on them. Hell, I will pay for them myself if you can actually prove you can hear a difference in an objective test.

Widget

L300 help on port size, woofer clamping

Hi
    I have ran into the woofer bore issue myself, and consider the JBL fork clamps to be a great fix.
    They allow quick removal of the driver and allow you to rotate them.
    The original 136A woofer required a minimum bore of 13.96-14.0" inches.
    JBL couldn't open the Dia. up too far, or the T nuts have nothing to grab onto.

Last night, while trying to test a LE15 woofer in my L300, I had to do this:
    I used some .19" thick cork, and shimmed the woofer out with it.
    Any thinner than .19 thick, and its not going to be enough.

On my baby L300 (a C36 with LE15s & LE85s) I use the fork clamps, which are on a 11.65-11.7" square bolt pattern, with 1/4 inch T nuts and screws. No cork required as that woofer bore is 14.2 Dia
    Those can be found on e-b-a-y

Also on your port dimension, my L300 original port is 4.18" DIA x 4.3" long

I could ramble on about my own woofer testing for hours, but a good aftermarket 2235 recone, in a 2231 alinco frame, sounds as good as a reconed LE15, and a NOS 2235H ferrite. I have found the woofers need to be fresh, and the spiders get bad just as the foam does.

LINK TO PICTURES
    http://jpegbay.com/gallery/004766188-.html#1

Don

Thanks for the good information Don. I appreciate it!

Tom

Is the horn and midrange driver in a L300 braced?

Just wondering if there is any bracing on the rather heavy horn and driver assembly in a L300, or does it just hang on by the flange of the horn on the baffle? Thanks.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Just wondering if there is any bracing on the rather heavy horn and driver assembly in a L300, or does it just hang on by the flange of the horn on the baffle? Thanks.
    I do not know the answer, but I do know that JBL did use a metal brace on the L200 with the same driver and shorter horn. Therefore I would guess that they must have and if not, then they should have.

Widget

Evening, Tom,

My L300's are braced, but in a way that makes me wonder if JBL did it, or a previous owner. Here is what holds our LE85 in place in our L300's. It's mounted in the removable access plate, and slides around the circumference of the driver nicely.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  64.0 KB

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

....and here's the last photo, showing how the Le85 driver is "right there, and nestles neatly into the wooden brace setup, as the access door is slid into place, and screwed tight.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  75.7 KB And, a measurement that I forgot to post last night:

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  65.8 KB

After looking at mine again, I do believe that they were created by some former owner. But, they work nicely, and it's a great idea. In any case, I do hope that this info gives you a few ideas of your own. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish, Doc

P.S. If you need better photos, please let me know, as I took these with a point-and-shoot camera, and now can take them again, with a big Nikon, with good lighting.
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thanks!

Thanks Doc and Widget. Just the info I needed! Greatly appreciated.

Tom

Morning, Tom,

You are most welcome, Sir, and I'm glad that info was helpful in your project plans. Looking in the JBL Library, you might check out this photo of the L300 Summit, in cut-away, as it does not appear that the LE85 had the support that mine has.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...l300/page3.jpg

However, you could very easily cobble something like that together, and make it work, just like it does in our L300's. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do! Talk later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Morning, Tom,

You are most welcome, Sir, and I'm glad that info was helpful in your project plans. Looking in the JBL Library, you might check out this photo of the L300 Summit, in cut-away, as it does not appear that the LE85 had the support that mine has.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...l300/page3.jpg

However, you could very easily cobble something like that together, and make it work, just like it does in our L300's. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do! Talk later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Thanks Doc. Actually that drawing has been pretty much been my primary guide for most of the layout. I started out with the known exterior dimensions and then did a proportion using that drawing. I'll not be working on the project for a week or so as we are about to leave to visit grand-kids in MI and WI. Later.

Tom

Thread Information