As I have stated in a couple of previous posts I am building L300-like enclosures to house my LE15As, LE85s and 077/2405s. The unusual part of this project is the crossovers I plan to use. I have pairs of LX5s and N8000s. The LX5 which crosses over at 500HZ from the LE15A to the LE85 and the N8000 at 8000Hz from the LE85 to the 2405 tweeter. On the surface this sounds logical to me. And I hope it sounds good. We'll see. Maybe it's a dumb idea? Otherwise, I plan on some kind of custom crossover system that I hope you all can help me with.

But here's my current concern: Both the LX5s and the N8000 are really, really old. Not quite as old as me, but really old for millennium standards. They have not been hooked up to speakers for a long, long time. Should I risk hooking these up to my precious transducers? I do have training in electronics from many years ago, and my recollection is that capacitors don't do very well over that long a period of time. So my question is, what would you suggest I do? My experience at JBL repair facilities over the years has not been good. I'm afraid they may not know what I'm talking about. And my heath-kit oscilloscope and signal generator has long ago been discarded. So who could check these crossovers out before I hook them up? Thanks.

Tom