Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Next question on my L300-like enclosures and crossover networks

Hey, Tom,

Have a safe trip, and enjoy being with your Grandkids! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Pic from L300 Horn Support

Name:  DSC02016.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  126.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Thanks Doc and Widget. Just the info I needed! Greatly appreciated.

Tom
    http://www.audioheritage.org/photopo...s/DSC02016.JPG

Hi, Sepperl,

Excellent photo! Were your L300's setup that way when you bought them? You didn't, by any chance, buy them brand new, did you??! Your LE85 support looks identical to mine, so I'm thinking that maybe this support WAS originally used by JBL, or was at least used sometime during the run of those excellent speakers. I wonder if Greg Timbers could share his thoughts on that? I had his contact info at one time, but cannot lay hands on it right now. If anyone can send him a note about this, including a link to these photos, it would be wonderful to read what me might remember about this setup. Thanks for sharing your photos, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Favored vendor for 2235 re cone kit?

My L300 has the support on the rear door as well. It looks factory made to me.

While we are on the subject of L300's and drivers, can anyone recommend the best source for new cones to drop into the 2235 / 2231 / 136A woofer?
    Or can anyone tell me how many companies are making the voice coil and cone paper now?
    I know there are many examples on fleabay, and I would like to get a pre-glued drop in kit.

I have a shot 2231 that needs a new 8 ohm cone.
    I think I could handle a drop in kit, but I am not so comfortable with a kit needing all components glued together.
    If the glue together kit is the best option, I will send it off to a good service guy.
    I know we all want NOS JBL 2235 cones, but I am growing impatient, waiting on one for less than 150$
    My 136A woofer needs a new surround, right now, so I plan on ordering parts this week.

I have a local recone guy that I may just go back to, if the unbuilt kit is best.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by donsof View Post
    While we are on the subject of L300's and drivers, can anyone recommend the best source for new cones to drop into the 2235 / 2231 / 136A woofer?

Or can anyone tell me how many companies are making the voice coil and cone paper...

I know we all want NOS JBL 2235 cones, but I am growing impatient, waiting on one for less than 150$
    Don
    Funny how we get it in our head what something is worth to us, I do it too.

While there are several JBL 15's that use the same cone made by Hawly with varying coils, spiders and surrounds to make various kits, the 2234-2235 cone kit uses a cone made by Hitatchi that is pretty hard. This is a big part of the voice of a 2235 and a generic kit wont sound the same.

I was running part numbers last week and there is currently more than 100 C8R2235 kits in stock.

Still no C8R2245's.

I would buy the genuine kit and make it right while you still can. Lot's of kit numbers have gone obsolete in the last year.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I would buy the genuine kit and make it right while you still can. Lot's of kit numbers have gone obsolete in the last year.

Barry.
    Then there's the age old dilemma of the kits not being sold to the general public. If his local recone guy is an authorized JBL service facility, he's set. And if he's looking for one for $150 or less, aftermarket are going to be his only choice. I haven't looked in a while, but I'd be amazed if the genuine 2235 kit is less than $250 ea.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I have some information that may be of interest on the LE15 vs 2235 flavor conversation.

The following is an excerpt of an ongoing conversation with the mighty George Augspurger:

"As a follow-up to your questions about the Olympus and Apollo enclosures I have been working up some notes about the history of the S7 system, including the design of the LE15A. I will distribute the report in another week or so. The 2235 came later.

In the late 1960's, recording engineer Dave Hassinger introduced his "tight", "punchy", super-dry drum sound. At about that time, Bart Locanthi moved to Pioneer and developed a variant of the LE15A - the TL-1602.. A year or two later, to meet the demand for an even more rugged woofer, he designed the TL-1603. (I am not sure how the TL-1601 fits into the timeline.) The TL-1603 was, and continues to be, the most "bulletproof" 15-inch woofer of its kind. As an unforeseen bonus, it delivered a tighter bass sound than the LE15A family.

JBL Pro also felt the need for an upgrade to the LE15A. At my request, Ed May set to work on a new JBL woofer. First, he tested a variety of cone materials and settled on a very hard, stiff cone. Then, to get the right moving mass he added weight in the form of a copper ring attached to the voice coil tube. The result was the 2235. To my ears it may be the best-sounding 15-inch woofer ever made.. JBL Pro continues to supply replacement cone kits, but the cones are made by Hitachi, not Hawley. If Hitachi stops making the cones it is doubtful that anyone else will try to duplicate them."

There's more.

Barry.

I think the 2231A came before the 2235H that was due to the embargo on alnico. As l recall there may have been a 2231H as l bought some of those drivers in the period.

The mass control ring enabled deeper bass in a smaller box than the LE15 but the reality was and still is that the mass control ring impacts on the mid range performance of that woofer.

Remove the mass control ring and you have the 2234H as used in the 4435. The 4430 used the 2235H

If you have ever compared the two systems the 2234H has a much improved clarity in the midrange and is faster on transients. Simply a reality of he lighter cone.

Therefore, if you are looking a squeeze some performance out of the project the ever so important midrange the 2234 recone kit is an interesting option. With some careful retuning and modest boost at system resonance it would a kick arse system.

Right on all accounts guys.

The point I wanted to make is that there are several JBL Pro 15"s that the quality aftermarket kits wouldn't have a significant sonic impact on, the 2234-2235 is not one of them, it's voice is unique.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

thanks 1audiohack

So where do I go to buy 1 of the C8R2235 kits?
    Or what service center do I see?
    I was shopping on flea-bay, and also calling several JBL dealers.
    Some of the authorized reconers say the 2235 kit is unavailable?
    Which dealer or dealers have this many cones?

I bought several NOS 2215 kits lately, for LE-15 projects, and that took some waiting.
    The new kits have little serial number tags on them.
    Is there a way to date the kit from those numbers?

thanks Don

I'd appreciate it if you would start a new thread for this information please.

I'm trying to keep my original post on topic in order to get information on my longstanding and complex L300-like project. Thank you.

Tom

Are the backs of L300s removable? Or are they sealed?

I'm slowly progressing. New questions keep popping up. I was thinking of making the backs removable just in case I want to make interior modifications later. I never did see a L300 other than pictures of one. Is the back removable or is it permanently glued and therefore permanently sealed? Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Tom
    Name:  IMG_0295.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  93.7 KB

Hi, Tom,

Lovely work! The backs are sealed, with that small access panel where the CD is cradled, as shown in some previous photos. Have fun, and I look forward to seeing how your project turns out! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Nice work with your veneers there Tim. Looks like you are nearing the home straight with a winner.

One suggestion , don't muck around with the foam under the glass on the top , just get 10mm glass with a micro bevel on the edges and make your solid trims such that it all fits nice and even.
    Paint the wood underneath black same as the front and back.

Some of this might help you

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post184061

Name:  IMG_0923.JPG
Views: 962
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0922.JPG
Views: 862
Size:  65.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Nice work with your veneers there Tim. Looks like you are nearing the home straight with a winner.

One suggestion , don't muck around with the foam under the glass on the top , just get 10mm glass with a micro bevel on the edges and make your solid trims such that it all fits nice and even.
    Paint the wood underneath black same as the front and back.

Some of this might help you

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post184061
    Thanks Macaroonie. I've seen your previous posts with great interest. We seem to have a similar motivation. I too have long had the JBL bug since hearing the Paragon back in around 1965 or 1966 when I was a young Airman stationed in Washington, DC. That's when I bought the LE15As and LE85s that I was to use in this project which has had a long time coming. Thanks to good advice from this forum I have replaced the LE15As with 2235Hs and added a couple of 2405s to go with my original LE85s which have new aluminum diaphragms. Thanks for your input. Thanks also to Doc and others that have helped me so far.

Tom

Am I missing any bracing inside of a L300?

Previous posts have shown the 2 horizontal braces going from front to back paralleling the horn. They appear to be about 2x4in size. Also, there is the cradle type thing holding the LE85 attached to the back door. Since I'm getting close to closing up the enclosures I want to make sure I am not missing anything. Anybody know if I am missing any bracing other than mentioned above?

Also I'm looking for some details for building the grill. If anyone can give me measurements or closeup photos of the L300 grill construction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Attached is a view of the counterfeit L300 production line in Potomac Falls, VA.Name:  IMG_0296[1].jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  90.3 KB

Thread Information