Thread: D130 burned out?

Angry D130 burned out?

Please feel free to call me stupid.

I've got my late grandfather's D130 and K140. I have been using the D130 with a Bryston 3B 400W mono amplifier for use as a powered subwoofer. I ran this this way for two months with no trouble, but yesterday I fired it up, and it all of a sudden went silent. I haven't had an opportunity to switch amps, speakers, cables or anything. I didn't smell anything when it went silent. When I turn up the volume real loud I get barely audible sound.

Did I blow up my precious D130, or was it hopefully the amp (which I can fix myself)? Also, if I did blow up the D130, how would the K140 do in its place? I'm using this as a sub, and I've heard that the K140 has better bass response. Help please?

Sorry for your loss!

I suspect the D130 makes a poor sub, and I love the speaker and have had them in my home for over 50-years. That's way too much power if you're really pushing it. The voice-coil is aluminum for light weight and probably wouldn't stand 400-watts for long. The K140 would probably work better but why not at least try it out and trouble-shoot by substitution before asking the question?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Sorry for your loss!

I suspect the D130 makes a poor sub, and I love the speaker and have had them in my home for over 50-years. That's way too much power if you're really pushing it. The voice-coil is aluminum for light weight and probably wouldn't stand 400-watts for long. The K140 would probably work better but why not at least try it out and trouble-shoot by substitution before asking the question?

First off, it made a surprisingly impressive sub. I didn't normally run it at over about 50 watts (by my estimation, no wattmeter here). I just haven't had time to troubleshoot and was wondering if someone could tell me "Yes these are the symptoms of a blown voice coil" or "No, if the speaker was blown you would smell something horrible". My schedule is so busy right now it may be a week or two before I can seriously troubleshoot it.

*thinks* the last trouble shooting I did was with a 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by kv4lq View Post
    First off, it made a surprisingly impressive sub. I didn't normally run it at over about 50 watts (by my estimation, no wattmeter here). I just haven't had time to troubleshoot and was wondering if someone could tell me "Yes these are the symptoms of a blown voice coil" or "No, if the speaker was blown you would smell something horrible". My schedule is so busy right now it may be a week or two before I can seriously troubleshoot it.

*thinks* the last trouble shooting I did was with a 12 gauge.
    Just curious, running as a subwoofer what type of filter/crossover were you using and what was the frequency cut/pass point? And what was the rest of your system with respect to the upper-range speakers?

You can do a quick continuity test across the D130 terminals with an ohm meter to see if the VC is toast. That might be a good start. Probably just as easy to hook up the K140 and see if it makes a sound.

Good luck.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I'll get out my DVM when I can.

I have a couple of cabs my late grandfather built from high end non-JBL parts. A 8" midrange and a horn tweeter in each of the two. I'm using the built in crossover in my receiver, not sure what the cut-off is, but guessing somewhere around 250-350.

Just hooked up the K140. It works, so I'm afraid to say that the VC is burned on the D130.

Just hooked up the K140. It works, so I'm afraid to say that the VC is burned on the D130.
    Maybe not (fingers crossed)
    To be absolutely sure you need to check it with a DVOM
    (sorry if you already have but I don't see any results posted here)
    It is possible that a tinsel lead, connector or solder joint has developed a problem

Were you running it full range or did you have any sort of crossover with it (even a first order cap in series)?

I am sorry for your problems and know how it feels; the positive thing here though is that that driver can be repaired as good as new by "edgwound", a member here:

Ken Haerr:

Upland Loudspeaker Service

1042 N. Mountain Avenue, Suite B368
    Upland, California 91786
    909-946-5944
    1-888-990-1049

Transducers, Selenium

I haven't put the meter on it yet, but I will once I get the case open (basically when I built it I made it Superman proof)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Maybe not (fingers crossed)
    Were you running it full range or did you have any sort of crossover with it (even a first order cap in series)?
    I'm using the subwoofer crossover built into the receiver, so it's got some cutoff that's pretty sharp because it's DSP based. I want to say that it sounds like about 300Hz max with a -3dB at 200Hz.

I haven't put the meter on it yet, but I will once I get the case open (basically when I built it I made it Superman proof)

I'm using the subwoofer crossover built into the receiver, so it's got some cutoff that's pretty sharp because it's DSP based. I want to say that it sounds like about 300Hz max with a -3dB at 200Hz.
    Good luck
    I don't know what receiver it is that you have and I am NOT criticizing it, whatever it is.

I will share one thing though, I ruined a beautiful old pair of 1st generation Infinity(s) running them with one of these outrageously rated Marantz AV receivers, the so called "high current" variety. Burned up some irreplaceable tweeters at levels that weren't excessive (loud, but well under 90dB).

The Marantz was one of these 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever 30 pound hunk of chips and was rated at 100 or more watts per channel. 100 button remote and mode type deal................an expensive thing. It was a (pushed on me) loaner from a really good friend, a guy who is bound and determined that I am going to learn to appreciative the multi-channel experience, come hell or high water, so he loaned me the amp (just showed up with it one day actually, it's like a 4 or 5 grand hunk-o-smoldering ICs; he went through all that to make his case so I put it in my system)

Nice gesture but he won't accept the fact that I still can't get TWO channels right after 45 years of trying let alone 5 or more...........so...............and I DO NOT TRUST THE GEAR (most of it, the whiz bang boom consumer junk) (I have my reasons, may not be rational but that's not my point here)

But now I have one more; I will never hook up any sort of valuable, rare, collectible or even just a favorite speaker for music to one of these AV monstrosities, I despise them (cramming all that shit into one small chassis and box). ESPECIALLY the extremely high sensitivity variety.

I cannot prove that the AV receiver had anything to do with my loss, BUT, those same said tweeters had NO problems with the power from a freshly re-capped Marantz 2270 with which I had been blasting them daily for more than a year, and at levels far greater than what was going on when my Walsh(s) fried. (that was a contributing factor to this loaner deal too, the Marantz connection "here, try a REAL Marantz"................yeah, right Was into playing a lot of music videos at the time, two channel only though, that's why so damn loud.

Just my rant, losing those old Wash tweeters still hurts.
    Anyway, hope you get lucky.
    If I am understanding you, and you have yet to even open the boxes, you may just have had a wire become disconnected. Check for continuity at the input terminals.
    I thought you said they were your grandfather's? I assumed they had been used as musical instrument speakers. Having a hard time visualizing why they are in a box that makes it so you can't easily get to them?

Hope it's just a wire!
    Good luck!
    Thomas

If I am understanding you, and you have yet to even open the boxes, you may just have had a wire become disconnected. Check for continuity at the input terminals.
    I thought you said they were your grandfather's? I assumed they had been used as musical instrument speakers. Having a hard time visualizing why they are in a box that makes it so you can't easily get to them?

Well, they were just hanging up in a closet when I found them, and I put the D130 in a case for use as a sub. That really improved the acoustics. And the receiver isn't actually the thing doing the amplification. I'm using a Bryston 3B 400W amp with the crossover in the receiver (which is from the 90s I believe). Really, the only reason I'm using this receiver rather than something else (besides the fact that this is what I have) is the fact that it takes a digital input.

Just my rant, losing those old Wash tweeters still hurts.
    Thomas
    OT , but as an Ohm Walsh fan , can you elaborate on your model/problem ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Well, they were just hanging up in a closet when I found them, and I put the D130 in a case for use as a sub. That really improved the acoustics. And the receiver isn't actually the thing doing the amplification. I'm using a Bryston 3B 400W amp with the crossover in the receiver (which is from the 90s I believe). Really, the only reason I'm using this receiver rather than something else (besides the fact that this is what I have) is the fact that it takes a digital input.
    I am so sorry; I thought I had cancelled that post!
    My poor mental state had your woes stirred up with another (receiver) related issue from another topic entirely (although similar).
    I did read that you were using the Bryston.

Still, in general, I try to avoid pairing high current sand amps with the extremely sensitive vintage models. That was my point and IC architecture (and I do recognize that Brystons are REAL amps as in discrete, at least yours anyway)

Sorry for the erroneous rambly post!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    OT , but as an Ohm Walsh fan , can you elaborate on your model/problem ?
    Burned one open
    Sold the speakers
    Took a year to get them restored museum quality and about 5 minutes and a Steely Dan CD to "f" 'em up with a "high current" AV pile of shit

And I know, before the pile on begins, I was the one controlling the volume whatever the hell it is 'cause it ain't a pot anymore

I hate those things. They're 4 or 5 thousand bucks when they're new (the ones my buddy's so enamored with) and a year later they're selling on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks. They're almost like cell phones or computers now.

Funny thing is same guy emailed me the other night, has TWO Marantz model "WTF" "xyz" that are both exhibiting some sort of buzzing problem (he was looking for suggestions)...............TWO at the same time (like I said, after a year, they're basically free)

Deleted the emails with the model, but I did do a search on it; about $3,500 bucks new and 50 pages of folks and forums talking about the buzzing snapping and popping shit......................board after board after board of cheap ass wave soldered chinese shit and a couple of decent processors if that's your thing...............needless to say, it ain't mine

This writer's opinion only, I am strictly a two channel guy! Centers and subs don't count

Thread Information