Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Anyone Stateside Do What Kenrick Does?

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    But it puzzles me that a 'one stop shop' for JBL restoration is not available in the country that birthed the brand. Just an observation (A sad one I suppose.), and certainly not a criticism. Certainly lesser USA brands have shops dedicated to restoring various audiophile components -- often at twice the original price. But they seem to be doing OK .... if not thriving.
    Don't know how much "thriving" is going on, or why you are "puzzled".
    After all, you're also talking the same "country" that has allowed the company proper, JBL, to die a protracted, painful and rather undignified death (as compared to it's former self and vision).

I just very recently required the services of an expert brass musical instrument service, as in capable of an all under one roof service capable of delivering impeccable results a for fine, rare and collectible horn. I was in need of a complete rebuild as well as a new lacquer finish.

It doesn't exist, although with at least ONE sublet (the lacquer) my goal was accomplished with reasonable results. It took almost 1 year to get the job done. Probably Wynton Marsalis doesn't have these problems, but the rest of us (the unwashed) do.

Plenty of SUPERB "one stop shop" luthiers though, thanks primarily to Nashville, Tennessee!

It is a "new world order" in the good old U.S.A. and that's just the way it is. Not saying that such a service does not exist or cannot be had, I am saying that if they're out there they keep a very low profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Don't know how much "thriving" is going on, or why you are "puzzled".
    After all, you're also talking the same "country" that has allowed the company proper, JBL, to die a protracted, painful and rather undignified death (as compared to it's former self and vision).

I just very recently required the services of an expert brass musical instrument service, as in capable of an all under one roof service capable of delivering impeccable results for fine, rare and collectible horn. I was in need of a complete rebuild as well as a new lacquer finish.

It doesn't exist, although with at least ONE sublet (the lacquer) my goal was accomplished with reasonable results. It took almost 1 year to get the job done. Probably Wynton Marsalis doesn't have these problems, but the rest of us (the unwashed) do.

Plenty of SUPERB "one stop shop" luthiers though, thanks primarily to Nashville, Tennessee!

It is a "new world order" in the good old U.S.A. and that's just the way it is. Not saying that such a service does not exist or cannot be had, I am saying that if they're out there they keep a very low profile.
    Very wise words, sir, and I do appreciate the the full weight of your statement.

Greg

If saeman - Rick - is still active, he is most likely what you are looking for. His cabinet build will be 100%, whether he needs to craft new wood and mdf or not. I didn't ask how or where, but since he also builds from scratch he obviously can source any vintage driver needs and tune ups. His work is amazing, and if it is what you want he can make you think it just came off the production line. 43xx large monitors, vintage B series subwoofers, and I don't know what else. I didn't talk prices, but it might be possible that he could produce new units for about the same as paying dearly for vintage speakers and refurbing them. No promise there, but it is a possibility. Unless you want every stick to be original, I think sourcing him a trashed pair and going with new cabinets makes sense in some situations.

For an unfortunately late friend in Florida he restored a subwoofer and took a tired pair of 4350s and sent them back to him a new looking pair of 4355s. Ian Mackenzie was with me at Rick's place for the visit, ask him about it. At that time Rick was working full time at his other business, so it might take time.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    If saeman - Rick - is still active, he is most likely what you are looking for. His cabinet build will be 100%, whether he needs to craft new wood and mdf or not. I didn't ask how or where, but since he also builds from scratch he obviously can source any vintage driver needs and tune ups. His work is amazing, and if it is what you want he can make you think it just came off the production line. 43xx large monitors, vintage B series subwoofers, and I don't know what else. I didn't talk prices, but it might be possible that he could produce new units for about the same as paying dearly for vintage speakers and refurbing them. No promise there, but it is a possibility. Unless you want every stick to be original, I think sourcing him a trashed pair and going with new cabinets makes sense in some situations.

For an unfortunately late friend in Florida he restored a subwoofer and took a tired pair of 4350s and sent them back to him a new looking pair of 4355s. Ian Mackenzie was with me at Rick's place for my visit, ask him about it. At that time Rick was working full time at his other business, so it might take time.
    That's the rub; I know for a fact that the talent and skill is (still) out there.
    You may have to look for it, but it's still there.
    It's the unfortunate reality however that most of the folks who possess it don't do it for a living or aren't operating as a "shop" if that is understood, and therein lies the frustration.

This situation is what forced me about 8 years ago to begin taking on more and more of the elements of my various projects myself. This approach has proven to be a mixed Blessing; on the one hand I have enjoyed a great deal of satisfaction and learned much, on the other, at times, not so much. Primarily as to the quality of the finished results, as much for the lack of the proper tools and work space as for the lack of talent.

Results from excellent, good to mediocre, I am constantly reminded that I should have started in on some of these skills long ago; difficult to get the hang of all involved when one is fast approaching 60.

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    Good morning, sir,

How many square feet (or acres ) in your room. What is the floor covering? Beautiful .... just hugely gorgeous!

Greg

PS -- I am curious about the placement/orientation of the 2405s .... and your rationale.
    those aren't mine.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sb...ih=641&dpr=0.9

Drool ......

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    those aren't mine.

That thread, sir, contains some serious 'eye candy'. Well worth the look! Thank you.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I am constantly reminded that I should have started in on some of these skills long ago; difficult to get the hang of all involved when one is fast approaching 60.
    Or sixty-eight. I was fortunate to have a 1950s upbringing by a 1950s do it yourself enthusiast dad who was into audio personally and professionally. And unfortunate that I was a typical distracted kid who could have learned one hundred times as much as I did. It is fun learning now, but if only...

Last night I was doing some maintenance on his 1953 Shop Smith, which is still my table saw.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

There is a guy in Peoria, IL (Don Baker) that has a shop (Electronics Diversified) that does excellent work. My father FINALLY gave me his L-300's, which had been sitting in the basement for the last 35 years collecting dust (and God knows what else). I took them to EDI back in Sept. and they are being refurbished as we speak, i.e., new 2235H cones, clean/refinish cabinets, new base, new grille fabric etc. Should have them in a couple weeks. He sent me a sneak peak pic about a month ago.

Name:  L300.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  202.2 KBName:  L300_3.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  196.8 KBName:  L300_4.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  205.6 KB

Regarding where are all the DD-65000's, I was told directly by then national sales manager of Harman International, Ron Rouse, that the 65 was added to the Everest line up below the 67 (after the 66 was discontinued) for the Japanese market. My question was prompted by how close in price point the 65 and 67 were. My thought was that anybody (Japanese or American) that had north of $40-$50k would buy the top of the line 67 and bypass the 65. It turns out I was right. The 65 did not sell so JBL discontinued them after only 12-18 months on the market. I heard the 65 only briefly at a show where it was hard to judge the bass response because of the room they were in. It had a softer attack to the treble than the 67 so it was a bit more forgiving sounding but not quite as detailed.

Thread Information