Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which JBL 15s would you use?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I view this latest 4367 introduction as very probably the end of the 1500FE ferrite series transducer. It was mentioned years ago with the introduction of the S4700 that if neo stabilized the 2216Nd would probably become the transducer of choice. I could be wrong, but I think the 1500AL alnico series is also dead
    Let's hope for a big dirty-cheap sellout, like the SUB1500 on partsexpress some years ago!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    several have said that this is a step down
    When I hear comments like that I can't help but think of the 125/127 versus the LE10

You should have seen my face the first time I pulled one of those transducers out of a JBL loudspeaker.

They did their job and kept the company going though!

I'm down here at the bottom with my stack of 2226 questioning the meaning of life, the World and everything in it. Thanks!
    Good bass drivers. But midrange is bland. Not worth reconing.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    But on the plus side they turn up for as low as $100 each, often in excellent "church use only" condition. If you are only using them up to 800, or even 500Hz, they are a real bargain IMO.

I have used dual 2226 in my HT for a long time and really like them, have been running them up to aprox 700hz, when I get the time they will be replaced with single 2216ND but I might also get the 1500FE so I can compare with 2216ND. My Everest clones will have 1501AL

Concur. Have bought 2123 to get better SQ performance between 2226 and 2446, but that comes with a price in power handling and capacity, so thinking about incorporating at least one 2216Nd instead of 2123 and one of the 2226's; saving 2 amp and DSP channels in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    But on the plus side they turn up for as low as $100 each, often in excellent "church use only" condition. If you are only using them up to 800, or even 500Hz, they are a real bargain IMO.
    Have bought them at good prices myself and I do like the midbass performance a lot. They really have a lot of punchiness to them and with some EQ they can do quite well down low for low level music listening.

Kind of curious about 2216Nd now, especially after having read that 4367 is optimized towards a more punchier sound, and seeing the rank 1audiohack put on them and all those gaps between the drivers, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by DingDing View Post
    HELLO, ELLO, ello, llo, lo, o, .

I'm down here at the bottom with my stack of 2226 questioning the meaning of life, the World and everything in it. Thanks!

Hoping the result won't be as dire as what you've painted here, and that they will perform acceptably between 60-300 which is the intention. Give it to me straight Doc, lol.

Hi there;

Don't think that I am a 2226 hater, I have a lot of them, in bass horns that I run to the bottom and I love them because they sound pretty good and are cockroach tough. I don't use them in anything at home though and I don't use them even in a bass horn if I have subs under them.

There have been a couple of other drivers mentioned that were not on the list so I left them all out.

I doubt anyone argue that a 2227 sounds better than the E145 but you can drive a 2227 way harder. I personally think the 2240 sounds better than the 2241 and the 2225 sounds better than the 2226, if you really listen to them in a meaningful fair comparison.

This is just my own opinion of course but I think that, until you get into the new super 15' drivers, and if you are using a sub / subs, there is no 15 that compares to the 2220 if you are anywhere near approaching a 1kHz crossover, but that one wasn't on the list either.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    ...Don't think that I am a 2226 hater, I have a lot of them, in bass horns that I run to the bottom and I love them because they sound pretty good and are cockroach tough. I don't use them in anything at home though and I don't use them even in a bass horn if I have subs under them...T
    I forgot to add that I wouldn't use 2226's without sub support.

Barry-
    Where would the 2035 be placed in comparison to the 25 and 26?

FWIW, In my experience; 2226 smooth but soft a bit loose in the bottom end,recessed mids
    2231 warm, tubby and very musical/easy listen,
    2235 re-coned 2231 oddly loses some of that warmth,
    2234 subjectively leaner and a bit more articulate than 2231,
    ME150H hard, fast, very articulate if ultimately dry as a very dry thing, doesn't plumb the depths like the 2231.Built like a tank.

Thank you very much for your comments, Barry.

Todo:
    (1) Be for 2446
    (2) 2216Nd

Quote Originally Posted by wrager View Post
    Barry-
    Where would the 2035 be placed in comparison to the 25 and 26?
    2035? Never had one. Love the motor though on the 2020H.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

My first attemt with 2216ND in my HT setup, paired up with 2447BE and Seos 24 horns. Do consider replacing Seos horn with M2, but really don't know if it will be an upgrade
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Baldrick, can you elaborate on the box for the 2216nd, how you like it and what you're doing for crossover?

Thanks,

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I've just started so it's too early to tell how it sounds.

The cabinet is basically a JBL cinema cabinet, 4637, tuned a bit too high if running without subs, but since I'm running 4xJBL 18s as subs I'm hopefully OK.

It's an all active setup with MiniDSP.

Thread Information