Thread: C35 Cabinet with a 375 driver- replacement suggestions please

C35 Cabinet with a 375 driver- replacement suggestions please

I lucked into a pair of C35 cabinets recently and was surprised to find them loaded with LE15A's / LX5's and 375 drivers with 1237-1290 horns. I want to mod these as after much reading, I understand the 375's lose top end after 9KHz. I'm tight on funds and was hoping to sell off the 375's and horns and replace with something less expensive AND with a higher top end. I don't want to mod the baffle so the system would have to remain 2-way.

Would 2441's fit the bill?

Should I consider TAD 4001's? - or something else?

Is there a substitute horn with the same size diameter that would fit the baffle hole?

Finally - should I get the LX5's re-capped - or leave well enough alone? They sound good to my ears but I believe these speakers were born around 1969 so things might be starting to degrade.

Lots of questions- I know.

Thanks for any and all recommendations - this is my first foray into the world of horns.

Brian

I think you can put 2441 diaphragms in a 375. But I'm sure a jbl expert will chime in on that. Plus the 375/ 2440/2441 driver is pretty hard to beat. You'd be better off sticking a tweeter on it and enjoy. Plus if the budgets tight tad's are surely out of the question. That is unless you tight budget is a lot bigger then what I consider a tight budget. You could score a pair of 2405 tweeters and diy 2 n7000 cross overs, there not too complex. You could just sit the tweeter on top of the speaker cabinet. Forum member Lee in Montreal makes a nice aluminum stand for them too.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmano View Post
    I lucked into a pair of C35 cabinets recently and was surprised to find them loaded with LE15A's / LX5's and 375 drivers with 1237-1290 horns. I want to mod these as after much reading, I understand the 375's lose top end after 9KHz. I'm tight on funds and was hoping to sell off the 375's and horns and replace with something less expensive AND with a higher top end. I don't want to mod the baffle so the system would have to remain 2-way.

Would 2441's fit the bill?

Should I consider TAD 4001's? - or something else?

Is there a substitute horn with the same size diameter that would fit the baffle hole?

Finally - should I get the LX5's re-capped - or leave well enough alone? They sound good to my ears but I believe these speakers were born around 1969 so things might be starting to degrade.

Lots of questions- I know.

Thanks for any and all recommendations - this is my first foray into the world of horns.

Brian
    Yes, the 2441 diaphragms will work in the 375 and extend the top end a bit. Recently did that. But, adding the 2405 sounds still better (to me) - improved dispersion and just sounds cleaner, more musical/natural. Personal preference. Bigger question may be the status of the LE15As. Gettin' old and parts are few and far between. Out of production. Hard call. Mike

How would a 2231 work in a cabinet designed for a le15?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post

Nick
    All those drivers have differing Thiele-Small parameters so it's a cab re-tune plus crossover revision - right? But all of those drivers are old and needing kits - 2231 is approx 35 years old, LE15 is older than dirt; which of those are available? Again, hard call.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post

Nick
    Hi Nick,

As can be seen for 2231 drivers JBL applied 5 ft3 (about 150Lit) box tuned to 28~30Hz. But today all 2231 cone suspension have to be exchanged (re-foamed), so after that the measurements would suggest the best box tuning.

Regards
    Ivica

Thread Information