Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Your opinion on 4333 crossover please

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    22

    Question Your opinion on 4333 crossover please

    Hi all,

    I'd really appreciate some informed comment on the issue of crossovers for 4333 monitors.

    I have speakers configured (physically) as 4333 which have. 2234 woofer, 2420 mid with horn and lense, and slots. Currently they have 3110a crossovers.

    I want to build new crossovers and have purchased the components to build Nelson pass' version of the l300 crossovers.
    -however-
    I was browsing this site and saw an equivilent circuit to the 4333 genuine crossovers that didn't use the tapped inductor.

    Now I have a quandary.The speakers are used to mix music sometimes, and enjoy music ...let's say 40/60%. I use a set of questeds for critical mixing.

    So...I'd really appreciate hearing some informed comment on each of these crossovers, and recommendations on which way to go, particularly from those that have heard or built them.

    Thanks
    Pauly

  2. #2
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    Hi all,

    I'd really appreciate some informed comment on the issue of crossovers for 4333 monitors.

    I have speakers configured (physically) as 4333 which have. 2234 woofer, 2420 mid with horn and lense, and slots. Currently they have 3110a crossovers.

    I want to build new crossovers and have purchased the components to build Nelson pass' version of the l300 crossovers.
    -however-
    I was browsing this site and saw an equivilent circuit to the 4333 genuine crossovers that didn't use the tapped inductor.

    Now I have a quandary.The speakers are used to mix music sometimes, and enjoy music ...let's say 40/60%. I use a set of questeds for critical mixing.

    So...I'd really appreciate hearing some informed comment on each of these crossovers, and recommendations on which way to go, particularly from those that have heard or built them.

    Thanks


    Pauly
    If you want to go with a passive crossover, you can't go wrong with Mr. Pass' solution for these three drivers. The L300 isn't acoustically identical to the 4333, but it should be close enough to do what you are asking it to do. In Nelson's ears I trust.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    22
    Thanks audiomagnate,

    does anyone else have an opinion or advice?

    thanks
    pauly


    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    If you want to go with a passive crossover, you can't go wrong with Mr. Pass' solution for these three drivers. The L300 isn't acoustically identical to the 4333, but it should be close enough to do what you are asking it to do. In Nelson's ears I trust.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    Thanks audiomagnate,

    does anyone else have an opinion or advice?

    thanks
    pauly
    Hi pauly,

    If You can upgrade 2420 & 2312 with 2450 (2441...) & 2311 it would be less 'hhssss' pronounced, and then adjust the network. I do not think that 6dB/oct network for 2405 would be the best solution. May be low-pass for VHF and hi-pass for UHF applied on 3155 would be more applicable solution.
    You can find auto-transformer-less design here in the AH Forum.

    regards
    ivica

  5. #5
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi pauly,

    If You can upgrade 2420 & 2312 with 2450 (2441...) & 2311 it would be less 'hhssss' pronounced, and then adjust the network. I do not think that 6dB/oct network for 2405 would be the best solution. May be low-pass for VHF and hi-pass for UHF applied on 3155 would be more applicable solution.
    You can find auto-transformer-less design here in the AH Forum.

    regards
    ivica
    I personally wonder why anyone would even want to go to the effort and expense of building a "high end" passive crossover in 2015. It makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like trying to build a modern racing using carburetors. To each his own I guess.

  6. #6
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I personally wonder why anyone would even want to go to the effort and expense of building a "high end" passive crossover in 2015. It makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like trying to build a modern racing using carburetors. To each his own I guess.
    I guess they go hand in hand with those silly slabs of grooved vinyl...

  7. #7
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I personally wonder why anyone would even want to go to the effort and expense of building a "high end" passive crossover in 2015. It makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like trying to build a modern racing using carburetors. To each his own I guess.
    Hi audiomagnate,

    But using single (stereo) amplifier with built in preamplifier is much easier then using pre-amp, DSP driven crossover, and several (2 or 3 or 4, or...) stereo amps, if you can get almost the same results..., not to mention that some of them are designed by very experienced persons.

    regards
    ivica

  8. #8
    Senior Member martin2395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    866
    It's the cost and hassle that keeps most people from taking the fully active route while you can still get pretty damn amazing results with passive networks. These don't come cheap either but are simple as 1-2-3.

    I guess that most of the 3-4 way JBL systems in the EU are in audiophile's hands and these guys don't just buy a Crown + BSS and call it a day. His invoice would probably look something like this:

    - 4 stereo amps / 8 monoblocks, most probably 4 different ones for each band
    - 4 sets of speaker cables from a boutique brand
    - 4 sets of interconnects - see above
    - 2-in-8out DSP or Quadruple Bryston 10B's in 2-way setting or maybe even something from Marchand/Pass.

    Some people like the flexibility of DSP, I don't. Why? It makes you tweak the settings all the time

  9. #9
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Good post!

    I'm working on some passive networks for my M2 clones but I'd never tell anyone on this board that I was doing so.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    22
    Why?

    Thanks
    Pauly

    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Good post!

    I'm working on some passive networks for my M2 clones but I'd never tell anyone on this board that I was doing so.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    41

    Halfway box 3132

    A bi amp only variant of the crossover 3133, the 3132, was offered by JBL which uses no tapped inductors, and merely splits the mid and hi and includes a variable L pad. I have used this to good effect, and hope you will try the bi amp option. The 3132 is a 2 way network, and would not be difficult to clone. But you seem committed to the Pass option, which i suppose will offer great results while requiring only one amp.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Au
    Posts
    22
    G'day Jlyons,

    Thanks for that - When it's all said and done, the money is an issue. Buying 2 or three stereo power amps, and a quality crossover will cost many thousands of dollars, let alone the complexity, cabling, power, & heat that are all factors. For less that a grand, I'm able to build these passives with quality components and am hoping they will improve the speakers (which still sound good anyway!).

    Thanks for your endorsement of the Pass crossover too.

    Thanks
    Pauly

    Quote Originally Posted by jlyons View Post
    A bi amp only variant of the crossover 3133, the 3132, was offered by JBL which uses no tapped inductors, and merely splits the mid and hi and includes a variable L pad. I have used this to good effect, and hope you will try the bi amp option. The 3132 is a 2 way network, and would not be difficult to clone. But you seem committed to the Pass option, which i suppose will offer great results while requiring only one amp.

  13. #13
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by jlyons View Post
    A bi amp only variant of the crossover 3133, the 3132, was offered by JBL which uses no tapped inductors, and merely splits the mid and hi and includes a variable L pad. I have used this to good effect, and hope you will try the bi amp option. The 3132 is a 2 way network, and would not be difficult to clone. But you seem committed to the Pass option, which i suppose will offer great results while requiring only one amp.
    I've never heard 4333's but own a pair of L300's and even bone stock I think they're absolutely terrific, a true work of art. My point is that if you're going to go to all the trouble and expense of redoing them, why not go go active? I'm no longer a "believer" in "audiophile" electronics after 40 years in the business; I like pro stuff and think lots of it sounds great. A good pro EC, a handful (five to be precise) of pro amps (like my beloved and dirt cheap BGW 620Bs) and a parametric EQ are easier and cheaper to implement in this application than a custom built high quality passive crossover, and I know damn well it will absolutely crush it performance-wise, and allow some room tuning to boot. Some measurement equipment helps too of course, but that's dirt cheap these days too.

    Having said that, the most cost effective upgrade for a pair of L300's/4333's (I know they don't sound exactly the same) is an EC, some big amps a few good subs. Stock L300's with a good sub swarm sound absolutely incredible.

  14. #14
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Understood but most people just don't want to go there with the whole multi-amp fully active setup. That is why a $75k system like the Everest II has a passive filter. That is why systems like the 4331, 4333, 4343 and 4345 had the bi-amp option instead of being bi-amp only.

    If I had a pair of L300's I'd probably try the Nelson Pass filter if only to see what it sounded like. It can be interesting to hear what other folks come up with.

  15. #15
    Senior Member audiomagnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado and Georgia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

    If I had a pair of L300's I'd probably try the Nelson Pass filter if only to see what it sounded like. It can be interesting to hear what other folks come up with.
    I did try it, and it sounded slightly better, but rolling them off at 50, stuffing the cabs and ports and adding a sub swarm took them to a whole new level. Massive difference as opposed to subtle improvement.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. JBL 4320/4333 with 3120A crossover problem, lost bass response
    By MadsKaizer in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM
  2. 5234A vs 5235 crossover for 4333 bi-amp
    By khengg in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM
  3. Need an opinion
    By kingjames in forum Miscellaneous Gear
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM
  4. OPINION
    By rovt in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •