Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: End of an Era. 43 years with JBL is Over

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    That is exactly the case, Alobar. It's self-centered profit taking pushed to every extreme that can be found. That's basically what's taught in business schools now, not also corporate responsibility to its employees, customers, and environment in which it operates.

The over-weening douchebags named above (a few of which have worked for nefarious outfits such as Rand Corp.) and others like them at Harman would have unceremoniously canned an Einstein or Steve Jobs or Edison like they did Greg T. if it served their greedy interests in the slightest.

There is no brand loyalty or respect for what came before, or even national loyalty (keep the brand in the U.S. made by Americans), thanks to globalization. If an extra nickel in profit can be squeezed out by using a cheaper fastener or grade of paint or process, or lower-paid workers, etc., that's what they'll do...AND while attempting to ask the same or higher price for the same model but lower quality product.

There's a documentary on Enron called "The smartest guys in the room". Basically, the essence of modern corporatism is that the ones making the millions got there by racing to the bottom. By being willing to behave poorly from a humanitarian perspective, they've taken advantages unavailable to better people, and been more successful- they think they're clever because the better people didn't see those "opportunities", they're narcissistic to go along with their sociopathy.

Eventually, people will get fed up with the long-term destruction this brings, but until then we're borked.

Itīs called capitalism, isn't it?
    Maybe you should vote for Bernie Sanders next time!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Not really. More like manipulation under the protection of laws made to advantage those with money at the expense of those without the same means.

But that would be political talk and we don't do that here!

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    There's a documentary on Enron called "The smartest guys in the room". Basically, the essence of modern corporatism is that the ones making the millions got there by racing to the bottom. By being willing to behave poorly from a humanitarian perspective, they've taken advantages unavailable to better people, and been more successful- they think they're clever because the better people didn't see those "opportunities", they're narcissistic to go along with their sociopathy.

Eventually, people will get fed up with the long-term destruction this brings, but until then we're borked.
    No they won't. Getting fed up suggests recourse. Modern corporatism is functionally no different from historical corporatism. The issue is to what level it's held in check by social mores. It hovers typically as close to the bottom as the human condition allows it to. It's actually a good mirror to the moral decay of society in general. It's always taken as far as possible. So it's always tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    It's actually a good mirror to the moral decay of society in general. It's always taken as far as possible.
    That's a depressing thought.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That's a depressing thought.

Widget
    Not if you define it as progress instead of moral decay which is how it's reconciled. Enter the brave new world of political correctness..hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

Oops, that's one word too many.

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    ... brave new world of political correctness..hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

Oops, that's one word too many.
    Not too many - I've always loved to learn a new phrase in my second language.

I am not sure if anyone has looked but the podcasts by the CEO spell out the whole future. Basically the CEO is a native of India and he sees the future of contemporary corporate growth in setting up factories in developing countries like India.

With income in the billions Harmans CEO is measuring innovation in patents for his key growth segment the Auto industry. Harman is customizing its system for tiered ranges across key Brands.

The business is focussing on market growth in developing markets

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Maybe you should vote for Bernie Sanders next time!
    Is that what you call this in Sweden, as if it's a good thing? Well it is convenient for the few that it benefits.

To answer your question - Bernie? He's too far up the Pentagon/MIC's backside for my liking, and I'm a vet. The last candidate I voted for was Ralph Nader.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Is that what you call this in Sweden, as if it's a good thing? Well it is convenient for the few that it benefits.

To answer your question - Bernie? He's too far up the Pentagon/MIC's backside for my liking, and I'm a vet. The last candidate I voted for was Ralph Nader.
    Capitalism is not a good thing! Even Bill Gates has realised that recently.

Unfortunately, no ism is good! It all ends up in egoism anyway.

Sorry for the political OT. Can be removed by admin if not suitable here.

Capitalism is not a good thing! Even Bill Gates has realised that recently.

Unfortunately, no ism is good! It all ends up in egoism anyway.

Sorry for the political OT. Can be removed by admin if not suitable here.
    I think you're ok..

As for capitalism, it is a powerful economic engine, and like any engine without a throttle or governor it will simply blow itself to bits!

Yeah, not many of the posts here are anything but conjecture or have much of anything to do with the termination of Mr. Timbers. He hasn't given the explanation for his termination.

Damn

OMG Greg, as a co-founder of this site who sat in for several of your interviews... I am SO SORRY to hear of this heinous termination of your stellar career at JBL! You have always been on the short list of my very favorite people there, along with Mark Gander and the late, fantastic John Eargle. Please know that your countless contributions to the art are inscribed in stone forever, and that your reputation among knowledgeable audiophiles worldwide will endure. You were always an admirable interview subject, who relayed the truth always without fear or favor. Folks, the mold was broken after Greg Timbers was shipped!

A few impassioned further thoughts... Greg would show us everything he was working on, even if we weren't free to share it with the world at the time. We saw and heard prototypes of the DD-66000 at least a year before they were introduced. He showed us practically his entire development process on the computer in his office. Such a man must be secure in his abilities and his role in the scheme of things, and Greg was always a ROCK in this regard. His world was one of a development lab with deep parts inventory and three anechoic chambers at his disposal within a few feet. Woe betide whoever decided to end this hyper-focused creative convergence!

Thread Information