Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: End of an Era. 43 years with JBL is Over

Frank23 don't fool yourself, they do that in Europe too. I was previously employed by a European company and they do the exact same thing.

Nick

Given the scale of the auto business my impression is that Harman will treat JBL consumer a Legacy Story and drop all but the Synthesis branded range of box loudspeakers.

The whole approach to JBL as a Consumer brand has been inverted and the transition has been coming for sometime.

They are playing on the Legacy story (who we are...or who we were) and Floyd's prior work at Northridge to market technical innovation across the ranges but they are not building loudspeakers there anymore. It's a museum.

It's like a bunch of Cowboys have come along and taken over the ranch that once produces thoroughbreds.

The work is now farmed out globally and bonuses are handed out for patents and cost efficiencies.

I think this is in part why Greg's role was eliminated...they just won't be doing that range in the future.

I have mellowed a bit at the outrage of GT's firing... or perhaps just placed it in context... considering that Lansing Sound Inc. was incorporated by Jim Lansing in October 1946, it was a pretty good run. Jim Lansing told Hal Cox in the late 1940s that he had brought good sound to the motion picture theatre, and that the goal for his new company was to bring good sound to people in the home. Of course at that time Jim could not have known that he would be dead by 1949, nor that a succession of talented engineers capped by Greg Timbers would forward Jim's goal with unimaginable success well into the 21st century. Not a bad result overall, despite the nimrod maneuvers of management!

So Sorry To Hear This News !

So Sorry To Hear The News Greg ! It seems to be a symptom of the world we now live in.I don't know how we went from Kick-Ass loudspeakers to Ipods and earbuds...It seems to be what is happening to most loudspeaker companies these days from Altec to JBL now and a few others.. With everything being made in China these days manufacturing in the USA is dead or dieing IMHO ! What I would love to see Greg is you get together with a bunch of your friends (loudspeaker engineers) and start a new company owned by the engineers not unlike what Jim Lansing did in 1946.. Best Wishes and hope you have great success in all your future endeavors ! Hope you have a Happy Holidays !

All The Best ! AB
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

"The dawn of Bose created the "Man Cave" and reduced testoterone levels worldwide
    by 18.5 per cent" Peteleoni on DIYaudio.

Darned right, and ipods and earbuds are part of this. Most men <30 in the USA can't change a tire. It's pathetic.

Greg's old-school and will be fine, hopefully he's in a good place mentally right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    I have mellowed a bit at the outrage of GT's firing... or perhaps just placed it in context... considering that Lansing Sound Inc. was incorporated by Jim Lansing in October 1946, it was a pretty good run. Jim Lansing told Hal Cox in the late 1940s that he had brought good sound to the motion picture theatre, and that the goal for his new company was to bring good sound to people in the home. Of course at that time Jim could not have known that he would be dead by 1949, nor that a succession of talented engineers capped by Greg Timbers would forward Jim's goal with unimaginable success well into the 21st century. Not a bad result overall, despite the nimrod maneuvers of management!
    Excellent!!

I to would have to agree and credit Greg and the others for furthering Jim's vision 10 fold in quite an amazing fashion. A world wide trend to excellence for their designs has been realized!!

Thanks for that Steve!!
    Always fun learning more.......

When this thread was first started I sent a link to my wife at work. Her response:

Wow. Turns out that JBL is a corporation too, which is a disappointment. What a rotten way to treat a gem. Feel free to invite him to visit, for him I'd clean up the guest room. Wow.

Personally I hope Greg is willing to share whatever he is currently tinkering with. And the offer stands. Greg, if you have any interest in exploring Woodinville Wine Country, we are eight miles north. We'll keep a light on.

Mike
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by jbljfan View Post
    When this thread was first started I sent a link to my wife at work. Her response:

Wow. Turns out that JBL is a corporation too, which is a disappointment. What a rotten way to treat a gem. Feel free to invite him to visit, for him I'd clean up the guest room. Wow.

Personally I hope Greg is willing to share whatever he is currently tinkering with. And the offer stands. Greg, if you have any interest in exploring Woodinville Wine Country, we are eight miles north. We'll keep a light on.

Mike
    There are many lights on around the world, I think
    And the dinner is served!

FWIW, the Synthesis systems are back online at jblsynthesis.com/. Same information in a fresh wrapper.

Obsolete
    For many years, iconic JBL loudspeakers have perfected the definition of luxury audio. The 4367 is no exception. The high-performance loudspeaker was built upon the same professional-grade technology used in the acclaimed JBL Professional model M2 Master Reference Monitor, one of the most advanced and sophisticated loudspeakers in the world today. This 2-way loudspeaker offers a cast-frame 15-inch woofer (2216Nd-1) with a powerful, patented Differential DriveŽ dual 3-inch voice coil and neodymium motor structure for outstanding behavior in the low to mid frequency range. Upper-mid and high frequencies are reproduced by a patented D2430K 3-inch dual diaphragm, dual voice coil compression driver with dual neodymium motor structures and JBL's patented High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) waveguide horn. All of this was designed to offer a high performance audio experience.

And then, because, in truth, we "managers" really don't know we are doing, fired the Chief Engineer who designed it, as well as every other major iconic loudspeaker system "we" produced over the last 43 years.

Photo of "management team" courtesy of stunt doubles Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stock Price

The stock price of HAR is down around 50% this year. Maybe Mr. Paliwal is the next person to be shown the door!

Quote Originally Posted by 4345 View Post
    The stock price of HAR is down around 50% this year. Maybe Mr. Paliwal is the next person to be shown the door!
    Send PaliWali packing - NO! Say it isn't so!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Dear Mr. G.T.,
    I have been amassed while reading this post, and I believe that most of this Forum members would be sorry while reaching this information, that JBL legendary Mr.G.T. will not continue to improve JBL product in the unselfish way as He has done in last 43 years ( what a coincidence - number 43 - for the novice: do read more about 43xx studio monitors ), but his work would leave non hide-able groves in JBL engineering profile. To day we are aware of the statement that most of the engineering production company are "led" by the PEOPLE for home ONLY Stock-exchange index are the only reference without any future vision. We can remember the name "ALTEC (Lancing)" what is was, and what it is now, in the audio field.
    Me, as a AH Forum member, would enjoy in the opportunity that respectable Mr.G.T., would spend some more time with us, giving to us a piece of his enormous knowledge and experience in the science of sound, and engineering trade-offs, that would effectively lead us to the more realistic reproduction of music, and voices.

Best Regards
    Ivica

I am very sorry to hear this.
    HK did a friend of mine that was a designer for Elan Home systems the same way.They did all the senior engineers that way from what I was told.
    Sent in a hatchet man and same as you, 2 minute discussion and goodbye Mr. engineer.
    All the best.

They are hanging everything off the Everest as a name in the lifestyle markets and everything off the M2 as innovation in the consumer range. This simply means there is no requirement for individual thought and creativity.

The classical loudspeaker designer at JBL is dead and JBL is raising revenue off patents and branding alone.

That might work for white goods and lawn mowers but the savey home consumers are looking for a more personalised message and who is behind the brand in world of noise filled with brands and techology.

When The designer is linked to the brand this can mean as much if not more than the technology to the purchaser when evaluating a complex purchase decision.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

The classical loudspeaker designer at JBL is dead and JBL is raising revenue off patents and branding alone.

That might work for white goods and lawn mowers but the savey home consumers are looking for a more personalised message and who is behind the brand in world of noise filled with brands and techology.

When The designer is linked to the brand this can mean as much if not more than the technology to the purchaser when evaluating a complex purchase decision.
    Out.

Thread Information