Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: End of an Era. 43 years with JBL is Over

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    When I rejoined "THE World" in 1972 . my big stereo souvenirs were Pioneer CS-77a's. They were fine, until I stopped in to a local stereo shop and auditioned JBL L-100's. Wow , I was smitten. BUT, they were sold at what was called "fair trade" price. ie: NO discount, full bore MSRP of $273 each. Relating back to LP's quote above .... they were just plain "out of reach" . Going to school on GI Bill payments of $289/mo. It just wasn't going to happen. Fortunately for most of us, those speakers aged/depreciated as we grew older and more able to purchase them. Now almost all of us can buy classic (non new) JBL's on a whim. Fortunately also, many are either still in good shape or can be rehabbed into the condition that we desire. All this makes me wonder whether we are helping to decrease demand for new product and therefore impact Greg's value to the new Harming Corp ?
    As audiomagnate asked earlier: "How many people on this board have actually purchased a pair of Mr. Timber's speakers at retail? I would guess a handful if that."

I suppose the Studio 580/590's I've bought direct from JBL count as that, but for the street price of two 1400's one could get eight (!) 590's. I'll bet anyone here that I could make a truckload of those sound better in many ways than a measly pair of Arrays, or a truckload of Arrays sound better than a pair of Everests. ...or...well, you get the point.

We didn't have the internet in the '70s-'80s that makes it so easy to sell or find used gear like today. I think that accounts for a lot of it. But also income vs. the retail prices, most of which in the "high-end" for years have been completely into unreality as many of us here know. Roger Skoff has written an article on Part-Time Audiophile about some of this silly pricing.

JBLGUY
    First off I'm very sorry My Timber's at the rude and ungrateful treatment you received at the hands of idiots. It's unbelievable that JBL would be so stupid.
    WOW did they miss the boat. You don't dismiss an Icon of the industry like you Sir at the drop of a hat. They could have turned Mr Timber's into a piece of nostalgia gold. In this age folks want the past to still be alive. Many companies tout there oldest achievements to promote the future. Having a living breathing person from their past would have suited them well if they were smarter.
    I would have included you as the wise old bird among the new brite talent. That wins wins wins for them. Somebody down there needs a few lessons in marketing imo.
    Sure high end is not profitable, but that's not all they are into.
    Look at KFC right now. Bringing back the Colonel in a big way. You don't toss out you history, you use it to show your accomplishments and endeavors.
    With the rich history of fabulous designs and ground breaking sound. JBL/Harmon should be showing that off. Not dragging it out the back door to the dump. Why throw away what has been so hard earned.
    DUH JBL ! DUH

Well JBL Japan has story booked the JBL story and Greg is profiled in that.

The Synthesis site is being updated so it will be interesting to see it when it's up again.

It would not surprise me if Greg consults back to JBL as a client much like Ashcroft industrial design. This would allow Northridge as an engineering office to go offshore for consumer audio.

Hmmm, lots of "I'm so sorrys" and "what a shames" here but seems only one person offered Greg any help.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    Hmmm, lots of "I'm so sorrys" and "what a shames" here but seems only one person offered Greg any help.

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    The timing came as a surprise and as such, I haven't thought about my future plans. While I don't need to work financially, I need to be active and challenged so I must figure out what makes sense for me going forward.
    I personally have no doubt that he is figuring it out.

I thought it was very nice that people posted their best wishes and showed their support.

That's exactly the message I got. He may not have left on his terms but it's all about what he wants to do now.

He didn't ask for help, financially or otherwise.

I just hope we don't loose track of him!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I just ordered a JBL Studio 2 subwoofer and turned up this video in the official site. It is a little unsettling to see it at this point in time.

That's a little jolting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    Hmmm,
    lots of "I'm so sorrys" and "what a shames" here but seems only one person offered Greg any help.

well ...

Current opportunities available:

Technical Adviser

Department: Call Center
    Hours: Fulltime. Candidate can expect to work 9-6 Monday – Friday and in Saturday rotation with weekday off.
    Scope: Assist customers via email and phone in selecting products for projects, troubleshoot product performance problems, and explain product specs and applications
    Skills/Knowledge Required:
    Working knowledge of electronics related to home, pro, or car audio design, installation, or repair.
    Communication – Ability to clearly, tactfully, and confidently communicate information and ideas, verbal and written, using correct grammar, punctuation, tone, and appearance.
    Operations - Carry out Company practices and procedures paying close attention to detail, accuracy, speed, organization, prioritization, confidentiality, safety, and housekeeping. Highly skilled at multi-tasking.
    Business maturity - Knowledgeable of office protocols / behaviour / courtesies.
    Team approach - Pride, involvement, & ownership of performance.
    Systems: Keyboard speed and accuracy. Working experience in Windows environment. Ability to navigate multiple programs, menus, screens.
    Personal qualities - Pleasant and cheerful disposition, possesses a high regard for integrity, punctual/reliable attendance, maintains a sense of humor, displays a patient and calm temperament, and projects a positive image. Display professionalism and eagerness to serve the customer. Recognizes the value of extraordinary customer service.

http://www.parts-express.com/jobopportunities

Above post reported as insulting,rude and disrespectful.

To Greg ..... From another Greg

Greg,

I can relate to your situation. However, I chose to quit in a new corporate culture, rather than endure ..... like you. To each his own .... as they say.

One thing can be said for change -- whether voluntary, or otherwise: It brings fresh life and energy. And blessings.

My choice resulted in some hard times, that I consider great lessons in life.

Then followed prostate cancer, Lewy body dementia, and, currently, bladder cancer. All challenges (and blessings disguised), but I continue to pursue my chosen avocation at 68, and shall continue to do so to my last breath.

Perhaps the best is ahead, my good man.

All the best, sir,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Above post reported as insulting,rude and disrespectful.
    +1

tomt, if your post was meant somehow to be ironic or to draw a contrast between Greg's vast level of experience and the types of positions that are currently available, you failed miserably.

Wery wery sad reading Mr Timbers

I talked about you last week with a friend who are buying new speakers and I told him that JBL was the right stuff, itīs sad to realize that Harmanīs leaders arent..

Personally i discovered JBL because I found that my personal taste of speakers are the same as Mr G.T, since then I baught all G.T designed speakers that I where able to buy, 240, 250, XPL200 etc. I also has as so many more with me been in contact with the in my point of view star like famous G.T who carried the brand JBL so high that its incredible how my feelings against JBL and Harman now suddenly went down to below zero . I have never been interested in cheap consumer stuff and my goal are always to get the best JBL G.T designed speakers. DD67000 is still only a dream but I guess that this also will be the end of my buissiness with JBL, from now there is only used speakers and those Harman guys can keep their stuff.

I will never forgot when G.T actually used his precious time to write to me about my L240Ti and the "new" L250Ti Lim ed, I think that wery wery few people got that heart for their company and their products. We all been watching Harman going down the cheap consumer mainstream but the JBL brand has remained a top brand only because of their Pro and statement speakers, without them JBL evaporates to nothing in my wiew.

In my point of wiew Mr Timbers are JBL, I only know one guy by name at JBL except for J.B.L and thats G.T. As I see it wery few brands has a employee who carry the "magic" as G.T did and still do. I really try to understand what Harman where thinking when they decided that leting G.T go was a good idea but I cant understand it, they must be a bunch of jackasses.

I am an avid lurker on these forums and an avid JBL fan since listening to a pair of 4412s in 1990..to currently owning 2 pairs of 250Ti's and Multiple 80/90s L series/Ti series speakers. I saw Gregs post and thought...is this for real??? I have never met you as i live on the other side of the planet but your name has come up in many discussions i have had with my other JBL friend/owners. Always in praise of what you have done for us as music fans in your products over the years. This has enabled us to enjoy the emotion in music as we have never enjoyed it before. I was always in awe of watching someone do what they love as a full time job...i can imagine the countless hrs you have put in over the years designing,building,listening. I cant understand why Harman did what they did but im sure you will go on to better things. They will end up kicking themselves for letting a person with your vast knowledge go....you wait. Any way...take care Greg,best of luck and like the others have said...i hope to hear from you more on this forum and thanks for doing what you do.

Ariki a JBL Fan from New Zealand
    Currently own and use JBL 250Ti,250Ti Classic,18Ti,L100T and L20T

Way of the world!

There's no excuse for what went down. . At least Beatrice Foods didn't treat everybody like JBL Does now when they took it down. If you screw with your best people and out source based on cost you become as Dell has. Global Whores with poor customer satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    There's no excuse for what went down. . At least Beatrice Foods didn't treat everybody like JBL Does now when they took it down. If you screw with your best people and out source based on cost you become as Dell has. Global Whores with poor customer satisfaction.
    I think you may be insulting Global Whores in the comparison.

Widget

Thread Information