Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: End of an Era. 43 years with JBL is Over

Boy am I late. thank you for all the outstanding speakers you design which bought joy to our ears. Greg you gave the name JBL strength respect in the audio world. I hope you do not stop here. I would love to see and hear your new line of audio speakers

korgroenewoud
    I see the message of GT now.
    I can not understand. The man who designed icons in the soundreproduction.
    It seems to me that JBL now longer will operate on the hi-end market. They'd rather produce cheap mass for a new generation audio-listeners.

Shame on you Harman CEO (if you are responsible).

Interested to see GT's next design

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    I have mellowed a bit at the outrage of GT's firing... or perhaps just placed it in context... considering that Lansing Sound Inc. was incorporated by Jim Lansing in October 1946, it was a pretty good run. Jim Lansing told Hal Cox in the late 1940s that he had brought good sound to the motion picture theatre, and that the goal for his new company was to bring good sound to people in the home. Of course at that time Jim could not have known that he would be dead by 1949, nor that a succession of talented engineers capped by Greg Timbers would forward Jim's goal with unimaginable success well into the 21st century. Not a bad result overall, despite the nimrod maneuvers of management!
    Wraps it up nicely, Steve
    Interested to see GT's next step, label perhaps not JBL but who cares if it's good enough to cut the mustard ?

The story told in this thread points to Harman not being the most desirable employer, but not sure the situation of the section in question was good enough to favourably weigh brand awareness issues when issueing marching orders for GT (??)

Great speakers from him, no less
    And sure looking forwad to GT's coming contributions !

Charah, Ralph

An homage to Greg Timbers

"My best wishes to all you JBL fans. Treat your products well and enjoy them while you can.Best Regards,Greg Timbers"This is one of the reasons why I have gravitated to the JBL Ti series, to repair them and make them operate and look like they just came out of the JBL "Final Inspection Department." I do not want any of the 4 models to go "extinct." Superb design, superb engineering, and superb sound! Once you're ready to get going again with another company, how lucky will that company be!! I hope the offers are many, and HUGE!!You may be gone from JBL, but you'll never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories and the quality, Greg. I appreciate it, and you.Bestsound

I am late also. Anyway, the speakers you've done are great ones sir. I enjoy mine as great product even by today standards. Thanks and bravo!
    A second message to these respectless "high in the sky" people: shame on you.

I haven't posted or been on here for a very long time but today I was shocked to read about your departure from JBL in such a manner Greg.

I would like to thank you for your presence and help here on the forum these past many, many years and I would especially to like to thank you so very much for our conversations and for your support with my XPL-200A speakers and DX-1 crossovers and I feel I have a part of your legacy sitting in my lounge forever every time I listen to them

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and your continued presence on the forum. Your knowledge and help is GOLDEN

Cheers
    Pasadena

Thanks for all Mr Greg TIMBERS

As an old fan an owner of JBL speakers, all I can say is "thanks for all Greg" and have a nice and quiet retirement and a good health.
    Shame on JBL chairman ...
    Spirou38 JBL 4344MKII 4333A 4312MKII L80T L40 L20T Ti2000

end of an era is the title of Mad Men's final season part 2.

And the times they are a chancin'

But..................are they changing in the right way ? Well, i don't think so ! What kind of mentality or vision do you have when you treat one of your most loyal and skilled co-workers this way. Well, it is called modern management, but i think i in terms of companypolicy it brings us back in the days when workers hardly had any rights.
    Mr.Timbers i wish you all the best and i hope you will enjoy your leisure. Thank you for the nice JBL speakers you created !

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    Veenendaal
    The Netherlands

I'm remarkably late to this as I'm rarely around these days but if you still drop by Mr Timbers, I'd just like to thank you for bringing so much joy to myself and others, and for genuinely helping people to enjoy their time on this planet. My K2's have brought a smile to my face even on the darkest of days. I wish you the very best of luck and health in the future.

Did you know my Father or Tom Cambell? Or me?

Name:  IMG_9583.JPG
Views: 2089
Size:  84.7 KBYou worked there during the good days, congratulations and thank you!

I was a 15 year old kid who went to work with dad occasionally (Chuck Manley). I could hear 20Khz+ then so he would have me test HF drivers to see if they were clean at higher frequencies. I still can hear above 17K which is amazing considering I have been working around rock concerts and sound reinforcement most of my life.

I have been looking for Tom Campbell and others for years. I have asked for info from JBL about a few speakers I have, but no one was around then.

The question I have is RE: a SUB Slot Radiator my dad worked on that was built to compete with others (Cerwin Vega) to acquire the special sound systems for the 1974 Earthquake movie.
    He had a prototype production model made with the signature black walnut that he broke and threw away, unbeknownst to me. He had one in parts made in the lab? out of 3/4 Ash plywood to do testing with. I put that together to the best of my memory. I'm trying to sell it now along with all the reference drivers and other strange parts and speakers. I have no room for this stuff. He past away last year at 89. He followed Ed May from Ling, Altec to JBL to Gauss etc.

I remember Bart L, Bill Thomas, and some others from the day. Did you know my Father?

Thanks
    Dana

You are so right!

My Father followed Ed May through the good old days Altec, JBL Gauss, ETC and built the best loudspeakers ever made. until he retired in 86. I now work as a Computer AV tech and I can't get JBL to send me a rep, You know why? They don't have reps for JBL! You can order stuff but they really don't care about my 1.5 Million $ Sound budget. You have to design your own build list. and research to see if they have new products and or what you need!

Shame on you Harman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by korgroenewoud View Post
    I see the message of GT now.
    I can not understand. The man who designed icons in the soundreproduction.
    It seems to me that JBL now longer will operate on the hi-end market. They'd rather produce cheap mass for a new generation audio-listeners.

Shame on you Harman CEO (if you are responsible).

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DManley View Post
    ...I can't get JBL to send me a rep, You know why? They don't have reps for JBL! You can order stuff but they really don't care about my 1.5 Million $ Sound budget. You have to design your own build list. and research to see if they have new products and or what you need!

Shame on you Harman!!!

If that's the new way of doing business at JBL Pro, then they deserve to lose customers. You should go elsewhere like E/V, perhaps they'd appreciate your business more.

Quote Originally Posted by DManley View Post
    [ATTACH]77779[/ATTACH
    (...)
    The question I have is RE: a SUB Slot Radiator my dad worked on that was built to compete with others (Cerwin Vega) to acquire the special sound systems for the 1974 Earthquake movie.
    (...)
    He had one in parts made in the lab? out of 3/4 Ash plywood to do testing with. I put that together to the best of my memory. I'm trying to sell it now along with all the reference drivers and other strange parts and speakers. I have no room for this stuff. He past away last year at 89. (...)
    Thanks
    Dana
    Dana,

Before you sell that "Earthquake"/sensurround-meant subwoofer, would you mind taking and posting a few pics showing this prototype (ideally the pics should also allow to understand the inner structure and logic of those subs). At least for the record and info of all of us.
    That's the best tribute one can pay to some piece of unknown engineering project of your dad. Maybe some of the ideas implemented deserve to be taken up and be given a new chance ...?

Cheers.
    Cayin CD, CrownSR1, OnkenW(CiarePW388),JBL2490/2392,JBL2445J or McCauley9620/ custom horn, passive Xover

As many times as I've been on here and only now have managed to stumble across this thread. To Greg Timbers, I want you to know that through your works, you have given me a lifetime of joy in listening to music of all sorts. I was unable to purchase JBL speakers when I completed my first Heathkit receiver almost fifty years ago, but within a few years, I was able to afford to purchase a beautiful pair of L-150s. Roughly 42 years later, they are still in the family, lovingly cared for by our oldest daughter. Over the years, I've owned over 150 pairs of speakers, the vast majority of them JBL models that you designed. My wife and three children, plus several grandchildren, all have their own favorites and all of us listen to them many, many hours every week. While we still have over a dozen L-series speakers, including four pairs of L-300s, we're still buying, the most recent purchases being Array 1400s and two pairs of Everest DD67000. Those original L-150s could be thought of as the grandparents or great-grandparents who preside over family reunions that include well over a hundred children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, all of them carrying GDT DNA.

Thread Information