Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2x2245 coffin sised cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    If by analog filter you mean passive, you can't make a passive crossover work properly when your woofers are 7 dB more sensitive (98 dB) than your upper mid and tweeter (91 dB). I officially give up,as nobody seems able to grasp the most basic point about putting together a speaker system, i.e. your tweeter has to be at least as sensitive as your woofer if you have a passive crossover. You can pad down a tweeter, but padding a woofer down is impractical and down right stupid. Good grief guys. Anyway, I'm sure this system could be made to sound excellent with a four way electronic crossover and three more stereo amps, as the drivers are all very high quality and the boxes and layout seem fine. End of rant.
    thanks for the rant...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    You would be happily surprised at how good a 2245 / 2226 combo sounds.

If I were you, I would build, just for testing, a single 10cft cab for a 2245 and a two 5cft cabs for the 2226s. It will be cheap, and you can experiment with this combo. Use the 2245 up to 50/60Hz, then the 2226 up to 600/700Hz. That is a killer combo for bass at home. You get low bass and punchy kick. I wouldb't even bother with the 2118 as I think that they are great for vocal reinforcement but certainly not for bass.

Few more questions. Your two 2245s are 8 Ohms. Correct? And they are connected in parallel, giving 4 Ohm at the dividing network.

Lee

PS, to make things simpler for you, maybe you can keep all your drivers as is. Put aside the analog crossovers, and replace them with an active digital unit. Experiment with levels, phase and tonal correction. The you'll know what the system is capable of. At that point, you can decide if you keep and modify the analog filters, or keep the digital one. 3-way digital crossovers are cheap. 4-way systems are more expensive. So maybe you get a 3-way from Behringer to feed the 2245, 2118, and higher range as a combo including the analog crossover.

http://www.axemusic.com/live-sound/s...ontroller.html
    yes, the 2245's are 8ohms

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    If by analog filter you mean passive, you can't make a passive crossover work properly when your woofers are 7 dB more sensitive (98 dB) than your upper mid and tweeter (91 dB). I officially give up,as nobody seems able to grasp the most basic point about putting together a speaker system, i.e. your tweeter has to be at least as sensitive as your woofer if you have a passive crossover....

2245's are not 95dB SPL @ 1Watt @ 1Meter on or off axis down low (20-160 Hz) and these are not running to 800-1kHz where that efficiency rating comes from.

If they are six feet apart, vertically, the mutual coupling falls apart in the high 40's. They have a pretty narrow baffle, and and and,,.

I think it was Don Davis who said, or quoted in one of his books, "When the number of variables reaches an order of magnitude, in dispair, I turn to my measurement apparatus." I think that is good council in this case.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information