Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2245h in a fireplace

Finally someone made it IB on this forum with JBP pro speakers !!!

Congrats and enjoy real bass!

QUOTE: Very cool project. Sorry to jump in so late but I somehow missed the post.

Now you can see why I've become such a fan of Linkwitz Labs LX521.4. It is an amazingly articulate and coherent speaker system and surpasses anything else I've ever owned. I agree with your open baffle comments. Woofers when they are free to breath, front and back with no cabinet, produce amazing detail. The only drawback, is over driving them. You've hinted at doubling the 2245's. I see your last post is about a year ago. Did you ever do that?

Not yet, but I did add a couple of conventional "helper subs" for HT sessions. I haven't bottomed the single yet, but I've come close on 24 bit organ stuff. I've upgraded to L300's and moved the SVA's in the rear for HT BTW.

Did you use a MiniDSP to help smooth the frequency response and how high of frequency do you run them?

Crossover is 12 dB/octave at 50 Hz. No DSP, but the room is huge (63' x 24') with lots of irregularities and well damped so it's pretty well behaved. I've done lots of sweeps and it's reasonably flat over its relatively limited operating range.

Very cool project!!!!

Thanks, once you go IB, you'll never go back!

Good call on adding the subs for HT. There is really no point in overdriving the 2245 and asking it to do a task that it wasn't designed to do. When you're ready, I would encourage you to get your hands on a miniDSP for a couple of reasons. First, it is super easy to set a lower cutoff frequency so that you can really protect that driver. You know how valuable and hard it is to get a 2245 re-coned with a real JBL cone these days. Secondly, the trouble with passive crossovers at these frequencies are the size and cost of the parts. The DSP solution allows ever steeper slopes to transform that driver into a true sub and get it out of the upper frequencies altogether. I use a pair of 2245's in 9cf cabinets with my LX521.4 system and take a slightly different approach at determining the upper frequency of the JBL. The 2x10" seas drivers are wonderful but in the cabinet-less LX521.4, they really start making some shockingly large excursions below 35hz. There is also a sense of loss in acoustic energy as the frequency gets that low, so, to protect them, I use the 2 unused digital channels in the minDSP 4x10HD for a 24db/oct 35hz crossover point and then in the PEQ set a 24db/oct lower cutoff at 17hz. For most program material, the 2245's, honestly, rarely has much to say, but when there is program material in this region, they bring a lot of energy to the bottom end that the 2x10" drivers just really struggle to do on their own. I, too, like organ music and movie soundtracks and, on the occasion when I get into that mood for bass heavy material, the 18"s really show their merit and this allows me much higher volumes and a much more realistic soundstage.

Have fun with your project!

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Very cool, magnate. If I'd have thought of this with my old house (had similar fireplace), I might have stayed married!

On the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    ... Secondly, the trouble with passive crossovers at these frequencies are the size and cost of the parts. The DSP solution allows ever steeper slopes to transform that driver into a true sub and get it out of the upper frequencies altogether...
    The 50Hz crossover is electronic, not passive.

Thread Information